Mealworm farming

Got a question about mealworm farming so hopefully this is the right thread to add to instead of starting a new one.

Is there a good way to separate the frass from tiny worms and eggs? I move the wheat bran (containing eggs) from the beetle bins and add them to my worm bin. So my worm bin always has various stages including eggs and very tiny worms. More and More frass is building up because I can't clean it without loosing small worms and eggs.

How do you all do it? Thanks.
Myself...I don't! I have tried and have lost eggs and micromealies!! So I just let it build up then replace the bran when the mealies get large enough to remove without loss. Best way I've found with little to no loss.

idunno.gif

Joe

Got a question about mealworm farming so hopefully this is the right thread to add to instead of starting a new one.

Is there a good way to separate the frass from tiny worms and eggs? I move the wheat bran (containing eggs) from the beetle bins and add them to my worm bin. So my worm bin always has various stages including eggs and very tiny worms. More and More frass is building up because I can't clean it without loosing small worms and eggs.

How do you all do it? Thanks.

Just don't add to it move the beetles and let them grow till they're big enough to sift.

old.gif

I always just let the frass sit for as long as I can. They will all be about the same age when you sift the out.

That is kinda the same method that Amy uses. She has a bin for every week for 10 weeks. She lets the beetles lay eggs for a week and then puts a new bin under them. She lets them grow and then sifts them out. All are about the same age. You can be pretty sure there are no new babies going to hatch. I am going to try this method. It is just too hard to find mealworms the same size and just mealworms if they are all mixed in together.

I think it is time for me to move my eggies to a new bin......

My DH ordered meal worms from our local bait store so I could start my meal worm farm. Went to pick up the order yesterday. Was told that the supplier could not fill order because
" the worms had a disease that had to run its course, would take about a month." I think I will be ordering elsewhere, but has anyone heard of a disease that meal worms get?

Maybe grain mites? Otherwise I haven't any idea.

My DH ordered meal worms from our local bait store so I could start my meal worm farm. Went to pick up the order yesterday. Was told that the supplier could not fill order because
" the worms had a disease that had to run its course, would take about a month." I think I will be ordering elsewhere, but has anyone heard of a disease that meal worms get?

Yes, more than likely it was mites, NOT a disease.
sickbyc.gif

You should try WestKnollAmy. I haven't personally used her, but lots of people have, and their mealies are doing GREAT!

There are various pathogens that can infect a colony, but probably none that the supplier would recognize (principally entomopathogenic fungi and various bacteria). But I agree with the two previous posters that it's most likely grain mites. It wouldn't look too good if he spread grain mites to his customers and he should be commended for not selling them to you. I agree that you should send Amy a PM and see if she has any available. The reviews on her worms are universally positive.

Thanks, everyone, for all the compliments.
bow.gif

I do try to send the very best to anyone that orders from me and I really do need to update my meal worm page so it can answer plenty of questions for anyone looking for answers but I like to supply a lot of photos when I talk about something since I am very visual. There are some things I do not have photos of yet so I haven't gotten around to adding more info.

Unfortunately, this week one customer did get a bad order from me. Well, not personally from me but it was held at the PO for several days for some odd reason even though it stated on the box that there were live meal worms inside and there were air holes all around the box for air circulation, their shipment arrived in a poor state. I am appalled at the PO and when she asked them why the box was not on it's way she was told that if she wanted them quickly she needed to have had them shipped Express Mail. I was pretty sure that the US Postal Service states that Priority mail is a 2-3 day delivery, not 7!!!
somad.gif

I hope everyone's farming is going well. It is nice and hot and humid here. The meal worms are loving my southern wall and are growing well though I have noticed that the egg laying has slowed way down. Well, actually, it had slowed down about 8 weeks ago. Hopefully they have picked back up.

Yes, more than likely it was mites, NOT a disease.
sickbyc.gif

You should try WestKnollAmy. I haven't personally used her, but lots of people have, and their mealies are doing GREAT!

xs2! I got mealyworms from Amy and mine are doing great - right now I have about 4 worms, about 50 pupa and an unknown number of beetles of various colors and stages! I'm looking forward to having too many mealies in the next several months. :)

Back
Top Bottom