Mealworm farming

They can't climb smooth vertical surfaces so your safe there, and there are ways to avoid touching them if you want to get creative. Grow them in the one bin method, when you want to harvest them use a spoon, spatula, flatish ladle etc.... or put a slice of bread, let as many crawl on it as you want to feed out then feet the chickens the whole slice of bread worms and all. I know it doesn't seem like it now, but you really do get used to it.

Nope, they can't climb plastic. Probably also can't climb galvanized steel, glass, or the A grade plywood either. From my observations, they have trouble climbing a potato!

They lay eggs all their adult lives, I think. I know I had worms of all sizes in the box, from many different hatching times, suggesting many different laying times. I just threw the last 6 beetles in the coop with the chickens to chase, sifted out all the mealworms I could see, and left a potato in there with what's left of the wheat bran and frass. ( I have second bin with my lastest pupae now turning into beetles for the next crop) I'm going to wait to see how many more worms hatch from eggs still incubating in the seemingly empty bin.

They can't climb smooth vertical surfaces so your safe there, and there are ways to avoid touching them if you want to get creative. Grow them in the one bin method, when you want to harvest them use a spoon, spatula, flatish ladle etc.... or put a slice of bread, let as many crawl on it as you want to feed out then feet the chickens the whole slice of bread worms and all. I know it doesn't seem like it now, but you really do get used to it.
Hmmm... I can be creative!!
thumbsup.gif

I decided I didn't like the screened drawer because bits of stuff kept falling out and the thought of eggs dropping all over freaked me too much. So I sorted all the beetles out into the two empty drawers filled with wheat bran. Tossed the dead beetles and pupa to the chicks. Dumped the oatmeal from the old beetle drawer outside the chicken coop. Then I closed up the bottom of the drawer and just put wheat bran in there. I am thinking of putting beetles in that drawer too. Then I'd have three bins of beetles laying eggs hopefully.

Not sure how I'll use the bins going forward, but I know I won't go back to that old method again.

Hey everyone...

Just thought that I would update on my farm. I think that I said earlier that I hundreds and hundreds of baby mealies crawling around my bin. I am LOVING my screened drawer setup! Anyway, here is a couple of pics of the happy parents:

I would have pics of the babies but I think that they are too little to see on the camera. I can try, though. I will let you know how it goes.

Ok, got mine started. I only have about 120 worms in a single bin for now. My problem being, I put potato slices in with them(pretty thick slices), but I don't see any worms eating or even near the slices. Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Oh ... They are inOld Fashion Oatmeal. Thanks.

I am having a little problem. My hot glue is not holding the screen.... anyone have a suggestion? I thought about putting some screw threw the screen and plastic and then putting glue on it. I had a problem with the other one that the worms were getting through. I thought I fixed that but the screen fell so I have to redo it AGAIN
he.gif
Should I put supports under it IDK
hu.gif

I am having a little problem.  My hot glue is not holding the screen.... anyone have a suggestion?  I thought about putting some screw threw the screen and plastic and then putting glue on it.  I had a problem with the other one that the worms were getting through.  I thought I fixed that but the screen fell so I have to redo it AGAIN :he   Should I put supports under it  IDK  :confused:

I also taped the edges with shiny duct tape. You could use that to reinforce the hold.

Is your screen on the inside of the drawer or the bottom of it? I cut my screen a little larger than the hole and put it on the inside base of the drawer.

Last edited:
Went ahead and moved some beetles into the top drawer now that the bottom is sealed up. Put potato in all three drawers. Now I am just waiting for the beetles to die off and worms to appear.

Hi all, just started my farm with 1,000 mealies from Amy. Right now I'm using the 1 container method. My worms love to crawl all over the paper towl tube lol. My hubby was grossed out he said "Maggots! Why are those in the house!!!" hahahaha

Elizabeth

Back
Top Bottom