Mealworms farming

Pics
Hi Rae, I know its challenging.  But instead of searching for all those tiny worms, why not take out the beetles?  If you get worms like I did, they may be in the hundreds!!  In the meantime, my worms are starting to die!  I'm freaking out, just when I had them going pretty good.  I think maybe it's too cold?  I mean, I do live in Hawaii, but we just had a cold front come through, and it gets down to about 60 (in the garage) right now.  Yikes!

oh, I have mine in our bathroom now because we are finishing up painting... I Keep the little heater on so it stays warm... We were down to 17 degrees and I think tonight might be lower...
oh my goodness, I don't think I could pick all those beetles out, they are all piled up on each other and in the corners and down into the bran and oatmeal....

I know, its work! That's why it took me and my son so long! But there's no way I could pick out all the worms, or even FIND them all for that matter! Wow! 17! It NEVER gets that cold here! The coldest it ever got at my house was 44. I worked and lived up at a ranch before I was married with children, and it got to 38-39 at the upper parts. But that's a cold winter. My mealworms should be ok, then, at 60? It's just really wet. I'll still move them into my storeroom near my freeze, where it's always warm. Hopefully that does the trick!

PS I hope Lovemealworms is ok, too!

I guess I could sift out all the beetles, while the worms are small.... That might be he easiest...
I'm really worried about lovemealworms. He has never stayed off this long.... He always gets right back to you....
1f626.png

Yes, I picked out the beetles. It was easier. And yes, I'm worried, too! Maybe I should send a message? I don't really know the protocol - This is my first forum!
barnie.gif

Lovemealworms, I have had my beetles the for weeks now and I do not see any worms...Am I doing something wrong? When I open my drawer, I hear this noise that I can't explain.... They are so busy, I have given them Carrots and apple, they love both...
I'm thinking that I'm going to order some more worms because my hens haven’t had worms for a while....
1f615.png
sorry i got lost for a while there. The worms are easiest to see at four to five weeks after being laid as eggs. They will still be quite small.

I wonder where Lovemealworms is? I hope he is okay, I've never seen him gone for this long.....
so sorry yall had quite a few things come up on me quickly. Winter hit here in northern california, temps went from nights in the 70s to nights under 40. Had to do some quick rebuilding of my bug racks and my bearded dragon cages. The temperature issue is a big one. At 60 they will function but it is slow. Anything under that and they will enter stasis. They do not eat drink or grow in stasis. For me it was kind of easy to fix because i grow them in a bedroom. Please quote this and tell me your setups and i will try to set you up with a cheap fix for wintertime. When you quote me it sends me an email so i can respond.

oh, I have mine in our bathroom now because we are finishing up painting... I Keep the little heater on so it stays warm... We were down to 17 degrees and I think tonight might be lower...
oh my goodness, I don't think I could pick all those beetles out, they are all piled up on each other and in the corners and down into the bran and oatmeal....
i run all of mine through a kitchen colander to get the beetles out. Big slots so grain, worms and eggs go through easily and beetles dont fit. Or if i am feeling lazy i will not give moisture for a day and lightly mist a paper towel for them. Most will climb right on for a drink and i just move it to a new tub shake them off and do it again until most are moved.

so sorry yall had quite a few things come up on me quickly. Winter hit here in northern california, temps went from nights in the 70s to nights under 40. Had to do some quick rebuilding of my bug racks and my bearded dragon cages. The temperature issue is a big one. At 60 they will function but it is slow. Anything under that and they will enter stasis. They do not eat drink or grow in stasis. For me it was kind of easy to fix because i grow them in a bedroom. Please quote this and tell me your setups and i will try to set you up with a cheap fix for wintertime. When you quote me it sends me an email so i can respond.

Glad you are ok. I keep mine in the cabinet above the fridge... Seems nice and toasty. Lots of beetles now!

Back
Top Bottom