Mealworms farming

Pics
Hi and thank you. I found rainbow mealworms "chicken sampler" and wanted to know if I could raise these different types of worms in the same drawers:

250 Rainbow Giants (1.5")

1000 Large Mealworms (1")

1000 Small Mealworms (0.5")

250 Waxworms (0.75")

250 Superworms (1.75"
the giants large and small mealworms. Yes same drawer. Theyre all the same bug just different sizes. The superworms are like their larger cousin and will eat them. They are the same in raising besides getting them to turn to beetles is a pain. Please let me know if you want info on that. I raise them as well. The waxworms are unknown to me on how to raise or breed.

Man I want to do this mealworm farming. I was buying 22lbs on Ebay for like $200~ every 4-6 months depending on molting time of year and weather or not I had baby chicks growing out. UGH, I just don't know if I have the $$ to start the set up and get it going. I frequent Craigslist and see the sterilite 3 drawer stands sometimes, so not sure what size is sufficient. We have about 24 chickens and a turkey. We plan on having more in the spring and of course growing some out for meat too. So any advice for me to start up, what stage should I buy worms at, should I get beetles first instead. I read the first 3 pages of this forum posting, so I got the understanding of transitioning at the different stages of life cycles, but to just get started, where and how.

Thanks In Advance

Man I want to do this mealworm farming. I was buying 22lbs on Ebay for like $200~ every 4-6 months depending on molting time of year and weather or not I had baby chicks growing out. UGH, I just don't know if I have the $$ to start the set up and get it going. I frequent Craigslist and see the sterilite 3 drawer stands sometimes, so not sure what size is sufficient. We have about 24 chickens and a turkey. We plan on having more in the spring and of course growing some out for meat too.  So any advice for me to start up, what stage should I buy worms at, should I get beetles first instead. I read the first 3 pages of this forum posting, so I got the understanding of transitioning at the different stages of life cycles, but to just get started, where and how.

Thanks In Advance
ok ill get started on the bug math. 22pounds of dried meal worm is approximately 50pounds of live mealies. You use them over four months. To have a supply of that amount you need 7 drawers or tubs. One for beetles and six for different stages of larvae. Each needs to be about 3 sqare feet of floor space inside. And at least five inches tall. 1500 large size mealworms will get you to the numbers you need. That will produce about nine pounds of mealworms every two weeks. Buying the large mealworms will save you a lot on your initial costs as the beetles can go for up to a dollar each for some dumb reason. You will need to get a second batch of worms after two months of having the rst as beetles because at twelve weeks of being beetles they start to die off. Heres a list of stuff you need

7x 3square foot tubs-drawers

3000 large mealworms 1500 to start and 1500 two months later.

2x 50 pound bags of bran. Without diatomaceous earth or medication

Potatoes for moisture. This amount will depend on where you live and your humidity.

Any questions please quote one of my posts and ask away.

so sorry yall had quite a few things come up on me quickly. Winter hit here in northern california, temps went from nights in the 70s to nights under 40. Had to do some quick rebuilding of my bug racks and my bearded dragon cages. The temperature issue is a big one. At 60 they will function but it is slow. Anything under that and they will enter stasis. They do not eat drink or grow in stasis. For me it was kind of easy to fix because i grow them in a bedroom. Please quote this and tell me your setups and i will try to set you up with a cheap fix for wintertime. When you quote me it sends me an email so i can respond.

The temps here in Hilo are so moderate and mild compared to you guys! But still, I did notice that when the weather got colder, a lot of all stages, mealworms, pupae and beetles died. That's the only think I can think of. Everything else stayed the same. I did notice that is seems they are changing from worms to pupae, but during the change from pupae to beetle they were dying. They still kinda are. But, I've moved them into my storeroom, right next to my stand up freezer, where it's warmer (they were in the garage). Now I see more new beetles. Hopefully, that's all it takes. I literally went from 1000's of worms to 100's in a few weeks. Also, I am noticing some weird little moth that is trying to live in the drawers with my worms. OF course, I kill them when I see them. But could these be harmful? They make irritating little web like stuff. AND, a also see a really little black beetle in there. I don't know what it is. It's really small, like just a bit bigger than a flea, and hard shelled. I see them when I'm searching out my pupae and such. I get them out, too, but they may be hiding under the bran and frass. Do you think they could be harmful?

The temps here in Hilo are so moderate and mild compared to you guys!  But still, I did notice that when the weather got colder, a lot of all stages, mealworms, pupae and beetles died.  That's the only think I can think of.  Everything else stayed the same.  I did notice that is seems they are changing from worms to pupae, but during the change from pupae to beetle they were dying.  They still kinda are.  But, I've moved them into my storeroom, right next to my stand up freezer, where it's warmer (they were in the garage).  Now I see more new beetles.  Hopefully, that's all it takes.  I literally went from 1000's of worms to 100's in a few weeks.  Also, I am noticing some weird little moth that is trying to live in the drawers with my worms.  OF course, I kill them when I see them.  But could these be harmful?  They make irritating little web like stuff.  AND, a also see a really little black beetle in there.  I don't know what it is.  It's really small, like just a bit bigger than a flea, and hard shelled.  I see them when I'm searching out my pupae and such.  I get them out, too, but they may be hiding under the bran and frass.  Do you think they could be harmful? 
humidity plus the low temps were probably causing the die off. Good plan moving them next to a hot appliance. Also the higher in the room they are in is better. The little moths are grain moths. They are not harmful to any stage of mealworms. The little beetles are weevils. Also grain eaters and not harmful. Oh yeah the pupaes dying before turning to beetles is normal at lower temps as well. In colder weather they burn through their fat stores too fast. Depending on where you keep them they can be better insulated by putting two layers of plastic around them with an air gap between the layers. It traps the warm air inside better. Hope this will help.

humidity plus the low temps were probably causing the die off. Good plan moving them next to a hot appliance. Also the higher in the room they are in is better. The little moths are grain moths. They are not harmful to any stage of mealworms. The little beetles are weevils. Also grain eaters and not harmful. Oh yeah the pupaes dying before turning to beetles is normal at lower temps as well. In colder weather they burn through their fat stores too fast. Depending on where you keep them they can be better insulated by putting two layers of plastic around them with an air gap between the layers. It traps the warm air inside better. Hope this will help.[/quote

I have a ton of beetles but NO worms showing up... I'm worried that I'll have NO worms.... I put all the beetles into a new drawer and I'm saving all the stuff from the old drawer.... When will I see some worms? Rae

humidity plus the low temps were probably causing the die off. Good plan moving them next to a hot appliance. Also the higher in the room they are in is better. The little moths are grain moths. They are not harmful to any stage of mealworms. The little beetles are weevils. Also grain eaters and not harmful. Oh yeah the pupaes dying before turning to beetles is normal at lower temps as well. In colder weather they burn through their fat stores too fast. Depending on where you keep them they can be better insulated by putting two layers of plastic around them with an air gap between the layers. It traps the warm air inside better. Hope this will help.[/quote

I have a ton of beetles but NO worms showing up... I'm worried that I'll have NO worms.... I put all the beetles into a new drawer and I'm saving all the stuff from the old drawer.... When will I see some worms? Rae
the beetles can take up to two weeks to start breeding. Then they start laying eggs daily. The eggs take up to two weeks to hatch. They are dam near microscopic. It may take like 3 weeks after hatching until you can see them. Flatten all the grain down in the tub that you have had beetles in for a long time and run two fingers through it to make a kinda wide canyon. Look at the edges of the canyon for grain falling. It is easiest way to find them early. Look real close they will be an eighth inch or so long and almost the same color as the grain. So in total thats after seven weeks of having beetles you should start being able to barely see the little buggers. And if you have had cooler weather that will be a longer time span. Hope this helped.

the beetles can take up to two weeks to start breeding. Then they start laying eggs daily. The eggs take up to two weeks to hatch. They are dam near microscopic. It may take like 3 weeks after hatching until you can see them. Flatten all the grain down in the tub that you have had beetles in for a long time and run two fingers through it to make a kinda wide canyon. Look at the edges of the canyon for grain falling. It is easiest way to find them early. Look real close they will be an eighth inch or so long and almost the same color as the grain. So in total thats after seven weeks of having beetles you should start being able to barely see the little buggers. And if you have had cooler weather that will be a longer time span. Hope this helped.

okay, I'm doing this tonight, I'm sure hoping I see something! Thank you so much for all your help..... I'll let you know what happens...Rae

okay, I'm doing this tonight, I'm sure hoping I see something! Thank you so much for all your help..... I'll let you know what happens...Rae

Aawwww, nuts... I didn't see any movement....But something ate a little bit of the carrots... So maybe soon I'll start seeing worms! Rae
Those beetles are eating Carrots like crazy!!

Back
Top Bottom