Mealworms farming

Pics
Aawwww, nuts... I didn't see any movement....But something ate a little bit of the carrots... So maybe soon I'll start seeing worms! Rae
Those beetles are eating Carrots like crazy!!
how many beetles do you have. When i had lower numbers of beetles they were very hard to find. I also found a reasonable chart for their cycl.

how many beetles do you have. When i had lower numbers of beetles they were very hard to find. I also found a reasonable chart for their cycl.

I must have several 100 beetles.....They sure are eating the carrots.... I'm thinking I should order more worms.... Rae

it depends on how many worms you want to produce. 250 beetles will make8000 worms a week. That is close to twelve ounces of worms. Bug math is fun.

Oh my goodness, that's a lot of worms.... I'm thinking that will be enough if I'm going to get that many... I guess I just have to be patient.... Rae

I went to switch out the veggies and saw some mating! Eek! Apparently they don't like sweet potatoes. When you give them carrots or potatoes, do you slice them up or give it to them whole? Also, if I want to add more oatmeal, is it ok to just pour it on top of them or will that smother/kill them?

I went to switch out the veggies and saw some mating! Eek! Apparently they don't like sweet potatoes. When you give them carrots or potatoes, do you slice them up or give it to them whole? Also, if I want to add more oatmeal, is it ok to just pour it on top of them or will that smother/kill them?
i slice any potatoes for the worms. They dry up quicker that way so less chance of mold. I give the ends of the potatoes i slice to the beetles because they seem to eat them quicker. Nothing over a half inch thick because otherwise it gets wasted. Adding more grains is just fine they will dig out of it just fine.

808momof6 - just noticed you're in Hilo, so am I. I've raised mealworms couple of years ago for my chickens but due to family situation had to give up so I sold off my farm (single bin). Heard the guys now got 100k & growing with more bins going. Started raising again chickens (4) so decided to do mealworm farming again. Doing the single bin method but this time separate the pupa from the main colony, will keep the beetles separate for bit then add the bran into the big bin, keep removing the pupa & separating the beetles. Guess it's no different the the 3 drawer method :) Anyways just wanted to say HI & welcome to BYC.

i slice any potatoes for the worms. They dry up quicker that way so less chance of mold. I give the ends of the potatoes i slice to the beetles because they seem to eat them quicker. Nothing over a half inch thick because otherwise it gets wasted. Adding more grains is just fine they will dig out of it just fine.

Ok good to know. Am I supposed to remove the veggies as soon as it's dried up or will they still munch on it even if it is dried?

808momof6 - just noticed you're in Hilo, so am I. I've raised mealworms couple of years ago for my chickens but due to family situation had to give up so I sold off my farm (single bin). Heard the guys now got 100k & growing with more bins going. Started raising again chickens (4) so decided to do mealworm farming again. Doing the single bin method but this time separate the pupa from the main colony, will keep the beetles separate for bit then add the bran into the big bin, keep removing the pupa & separating the beetles. Guess it's no different the the 3 drawer method :) Anyways just wanted to say HI & welcome to BYC.
So you've done the single bin but this time around you're going to do 3 drawer? Any reasons why? Just wanting to learn because I have a single bin and it's also my first time.

Ok good to know. Am I supposed to remove the veggies as soon as it's dried up or will they still munch on it even if it is dried?
remove as they dry up. They only eat them for moisture. I just toss them in corner of tub when i give them next batch. I clean them out once a week because once theyre dry they wont mold

Back
Top Bottom