Mealworms farming

Pics
  • nuklee0 - I'm still doing the single bin but removing the pupa cause I just got started & don't want to loose any to the worms. Once they turn to beetles will keep beetles separate for a bit before dumping the bran back into the main bin. Reason I'm doing this is I only for 100 mealworms to start with, live in Hilo, HI and that's all the pet store had :(

The guy that bought my first farm, still doing the single bin but now got several going & he's got ALOT to feed his chickens. Great training tool. It's fun and interesting, have fun & enjoy!

• nuklee0 - I'm still doing the single bin but removing the pupa cause I just got started & don't want to loose any to the worms.  Once they turn to beetles will keep beetles separate for a bit before dumping the bran back into the main bin.  Reason I'm doing this is I only for 100 mealworms to start with, live in Hilo, HI and that's all the pet store had :( 

The guy that bought my first farm, still doing the single bin but now got several going & he's got ALOT to feed his chickens.  Great training tool.   It's fun and interesting, have fun & enjoy!

Ok thank you for the info. What's the reason for moving the beetles? I'm not moving any of my pupae or beetles. Just keeping everything in one.

nukelee0 - You're doing it right. Read there maybe some cannibalism so just want to make sure I have a "supply" since I didn't have much to start of with. By separating the beetles this one time gives me a back up colony, I found a lot of dead ones with the 100 I started with, was not a good start. But a single bin is the way I did it before & the guy is continuing and I will be doing, simpler :) Have fun!

nukelee0 - You're doing it right.  Read there maybe some cannibalism so just want to make sure I have a "supply" since I didn't have much to start of with.  By separating the beetles this one time gives me a back up colony, I found a lot of dead ones with the 100 I started with, was not a good start.  But a single bin is the way I did it before & the guy is continuing and I will be doing, simpler :)  Have fun!

Ok thanks! Yes I'm all about doing it as simple as possible. Thank you!

I still do not see any worms in my drawer....I'm trying to be patient but it's kind of like waiting for that first egg! lol We have to go into town tomorrow and it's so windy,Yikes! Rae

I'll have to go back and take a look...I posted it here when I got my first beetle....Rae
looks like between 21st of oct and 23rd. Say the 23rd. So say they started laying eggs on 6th of november. They should start hatching between the 12th and the 20th of nov. That gives them only like 2 weeks to grow and the get to a quarter inch after six weeks or so and are berely visible in my tubs at four weeks after being laid. Sounds like you should see them within two weeks. Headed to bed now catch yall later.

Back
Top Bottom