Mearns Quail Hatching

I managed to get a young pair of mearns quail in August. Paid $400. I guess that's not bad considering hatching eggs are still selling for $30 each. Figured I would post a picture as they are almost 6 months old now and coloring up nicely.

Glad you finally found some Mearns. I ended up with a few pair and actually ended up with an awesome indoor pet. The first batch of eggs I only had 1 hatch turned out to be a hen and almost lost her, she is now an indoor pet that snuggles with my wife on the couch everyday. The second batch if eggs did well and managed to pair her up with a male. They are some awesome birds! Love their personalities and characteristics. Expensive lil boogers but worth it in my book.
Congrats

I have a lovely male called "Monty" I'm very happy with him as he's a handsome chap but he's in eager need of a lady companion if anyone can help I live in the UK I can get birds from Belgium and Holland so if there's anyone in those regions that can help me in my such for Months happiness please contact me

I didn't have much luck with hatching eggs. Spent about $300 for 10 eggs and managed to get 1 hatch which died a week later. Most of what I read online stated to start with mealworms, etc. In talking with the gentleman that I purchased the pair from, he states that it is just a matter of dipping each chicks beak in the water and then in the crumbles to get them to eat. The one that I did have hatch was eating/drinking fine, so not sure what happened that caused the loss at 7 days. I have since purchased a GQF commercial quality incubator $900+ since my Coturnix quail sales are increasing, and hoping that the mearns pair I have now will lay some fertile eggs in a few months.

They usually start laying in June. If you need more look me up or scott in maine up. I only sell eggs but he sells both and his pairs are only $300 unless he goes up this year.
The helping them eat is pretty much a myth, the low humidity is the key for a healthy hatch and they will goto town on crumble on their own. They also stay in their shell for up to 4 days after they pip before they hatch, this confuses a lot including myself and make you want to assist the hatch thinking they are shrinkwrapped or stuck in their shell. Use a dry incubation and let them hatch on their own and they will pop out healthy and eating on their own.

Thanks. I will contact you once it gets closer to June. Really interested in getting a couple more either through hatching eggs or possibly another pair or two.

Not trying to interrupt, but I have found a reliable breeder on Facebook who shares his business of raising/breeding Mearns's and mountain quails. I've never bought any birds from him just yet, though visited his webpage quite often, and appears to me a very trustworthy, responsible quail breeder with many positive reviews.
Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/KeithsQuail/

Back
Top Bottom