Mearns Quail Hatching

ghull999

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2016
Mt Pleasant PA
My Mearns Quail started hatching this morning so figured I would post a picture since I couldn't find and images of Mearns Quail chicks online.

Yes I did, through ebay and paypal. Hopefully you can get your money back. There is nothing written in their refund policy that states they dont guarantee agricultural purchases either so dont let them tell you that. If they do ask them for a copy that you can see. Good luck and thanks. Keep me posted on your one hatch and let me know if you need help. I had a time with mine but now hes 3.5 weeks old and healthy. Oh and if you want a trusted breeder for mearns, i found a good one but you need to get on his waiting list now.... $150 for 10 eggs. Starts shipping in June and doesnt trick light his birds.

Glad you finally found some Mearns. I ended up with a few pair and actually ended up with an awesome indoor pet. The first batch of eggs I only had 1 hatch turned out to be a hen and almost lost her, she is now an indoor pet that snuggles with my wife on the couch everyday. The second batch if eggs did well and managed to pair her up with a male. They are some awesome birds! Love their personalities and characteristics. Expensive lil boogers but worth it in my book.
Congrats

Lucky!! Good for you id love to get my hands on some mearns quail but decided their bout impossible to find! Good luck!

I agree. I found some on eBay finally and bought 9 eggs for $291 plus shipping. The same seller has listed 2 or 3 auctions for them (6 eggs each auction) and they always go for over $200. Hopefully I get a few more to hatch today.

Sorry to hear that. I hatched one a few weeks ago myself, same thing, bought 6 eggs, but only one of them developed. Costly mistake indeed! I did find another breeder that I will be getting eggs from in June. He also has some knowledge of hatching and raising.

Sorry your hatch didnt turn out more chicks. I know the feeling. I had 1 survivor from a batch of 16 Black Masked bobwhite eggs. Hatching is definitely a gamble!

A good majority of the Mearns breeders I've talked to keep the humidity just above 25%. I hear that 25-35% is ideal... but I can't speak from personal experience. I just got a 2015 pair of Mearns, hoping for eggs in the next few weeks.

How did you guys do brooding the Single Mearns chicks? Did you have to do any tweezer feeding, or anything like that to get it eating?

There's so little literature regarding Mearns in aviculture...its frustrating. I will say that they're hands down the most laid back species of wild quail I've raised. At least in my experience, They acclimated very quickly to their new environment, and now take mealworms right from my hand!

I just love them and can't wait for the other pairs to arrive in July/August!

Back
Top Bottom