Mearns Quail Hatching

I managed to get a young pair of mearns quail in August. Paid $400. I guess that's not bad considering hatching eggs are still selling for $30 each. Figured I would post a picture as they are almost 6 months old now and coloring up nicely.

I have a lovely male called "Monty" I'm very happy with him as he's a handsome chap but he's in eager need of a lady companion if anyone can help I live in the UK I can get birds from Belgium and Holland so if there's anyone in those regions that can help me in my such for Months happiness please contact me

I didn't have much luck with hatching eggs. Spent about $300 for 10 eggs and managed to get 1 hatch which died a week later. Most of what I read online stated to start with mealworms, etc. In talking with the gentleman that I purchased the pair from, he states that it is just a matter of dipping each chicks beak in the water and then in the crumbles to get them to eat. The one that I did have hatch was eating/drinking fine, so not sure what happened that caused the loss at 7 days. I have since purchased a GQF commercial quality incubator $900+ since my Coturnix quail sales are increasing, and hoping that the mearns pair I have now will lay some fertile eggs in a few months.

They usually start laying in June. If you need more look me up or scott in maine up. I only sell eggs but he sells both and his pairs are only $300 unless he goes up this year.
The helping them eat is pretty much a myth, the low humidity is the key for a healthy hatch and they will goto town on crumble on their own. They also stay in their shell for up to 4 days after they pip before they hatch, this confuses a lot including myself and make you want to assist the hatch thinking they are shrinkwrapped or stuck in their shell. Use a dry incubation and let them hatch on their own and they will pop out healthy and eating on their own.

Thanks. I will contact you once it gets closer to June. Really interested in getting a couple more either through hatching eggs or possibly another pair or two.

Not trying to interrupt, but I have found a reliable breeder on Facebook who shares his business of raising/breeding Mearns's and mountain quails. I've never bought any birds from him just yet, though visited his webpage quite often, and appears to me a very trustworthy, responsible quail breeder with many positive reviews.
Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/KeithsQuail/

Back
Top Bottom