Meat Bird Project - Delaware, White Rock, Dark Cornish

Pics

As promised, here are some pics. The thought is that, as the chicks grow up, the chains will be raised and eventually taken off completely. There are 2 screws that hold the chain, they are the same width as the bucket handle, so that will be the highest it will go. I have 2 of these now, as well as one store-bought feeder that's a bit narrower for the smallest pen.

I haven't added the funnels yet, as I don't have any currently that are big enough. The dollar store has a 3 pack though, should be exactly what I need.

My wife and I weighed the chicks last night, took us about 10min cause we're finally getting the process down. Also only had to change out 4 zip ties. The chicks are getting so big, fully feathered (the younger ones still have a bit of the yellow fluff on their heads), very independent and want to get out and forage and dust bathe. The older chickens are pretty good about keeping them corralled towards their mobile pen, which is near some grassy plants to give them some extra cover.

Down to business, here are the numbers:

3 days 1 week 2 weeks 3 weeks 4 weeks 5 weeks
DC 61.8 (g) 84.4 168.4 269.2 373.2 504.4
growth - 137% 200% 160% 139% 135%
DEL 60.1 80.6 150.4 221.4 295.5 398.1
growth - 135% 197% 147% 133% 135%
WR 68.8 100.6 209.6 328.25 452 598.3
growth - 146% 208% 157% 138% 132%
WR (younger) 65.7 97.7 205.6 330.2 459.3 -
growth - 149% 210% 161% 139% -

Biggest Smallest
WR Cockerels 678 514
DC Cockerels 590 395
DEL Cockerels 533 436
DEL Pullets 455 295
WR (younger) C 595 445
WR (younger) P 476 384

Looking back at last weeks numbers, the biggest older WR cockerel was 502, smallest 364. 18.5% difference, apples to apples, with the biggest, and 22.2% difference in the smallest. They are all now (as of Wednesday) on 24% protein. It's a small difference in cost, and what seems like a small difference in protein, but makes a HUGE difference in their growth rate. Now that their outside and able to forage for greens and bugs, I'm not worried about any vitamin deficiencies with them being on 24% chick starter (which has no info for chickens, just other fowl). That was the whole reason I switched to a 50/50 blend of chick starter/grower, to make sure they weren't missing anything in their diets. Won't happen again!

Here's a view of them from my office:

The larger chicks are still too small for the largest pen and can easily sneak under the rail. For now, I have the largest chicks in the biggest pen together, smallest in the smallest, and medium-est in the medium. They seem to really like the setup, which makes me feel good.

I never planned on having so many chicks in that mobile pen, the most I will ever have in there should only be about 24. With the setup, 24 sf is enough for 8x 16wk old birds - I want to keep them as contained as possible without being inhumane, keep them from flapping their wings and running around, with the thought that the meat will be more tender.

I will say that the chicks are quite dumb, when I move the pen, they see the wheels turning and coming right at them, but they don't move. They have to get their foot stuck under the wheel for a second to realize that they need to move out of the way, and that lesson only lasts a few seconds. Maybe they will get smarter as they grow...

"bird brains" is definitely applicable here! I need a digital scale sorted out to get mine weighed. Finally have the, about the 3/4 day old mark now so interesting to see how they weigh out, ight go with an old school scale for the heck of it.

I have them in a little brooder for now under an electric hen, they seem to have taken to it well and just hope we dont get any pests, but thankfully in the UK the rat is the worst indoors.

Some serious weights on them birds. Still not sure what our version of WR are, I know we dont have delawares and wondering about the dark cornish. In the UK a cornish might SOMETIMES be referred to the very small game birds. The weights just make me think of our broliers, but we call them ross cobbs and theres another thats eluding me atm.

Mind if I post my results here too?

"bird brains" is definitely applicable here! I need a digital scale sorted out to get mine weighed. Finally have the, about the 3/4 day old mark now so interesting to see how they weigh out, ight go with an old school scale for the heck of it.

I have them in a little brooder for now under an electric hen, they seem to have taken to it well and just hope we dont get any pests, but thankfully in the UK the rat is the worst indoors.

Some serious weights on them birds. Still not sure what our version of WR are, I know we dont have delawares and wondering about the dark cornish. In the UK a cornish might SOMETIMES be referred to the very small game birds. The weights just make me think of our broliers, but we call them ross cobbs and theres another thats eluding me atm.

Mind if I post my results here too?

Yes, PLEASE post your results here as well!! When I first started this project, I was looking everywhere for something similar and couldn't really find anything that had what I was looking for, so it would be nice for the next person who comes along to see the results from not just one, but multiple sources. It would give a good overall scope of what one could expect if doing a similar project.

Depending on how this all goes, I also plan on doing a LF White Cornish x WR cross project. That's far in the future, but I will likely also do it in this thread, again so there is one place to see all of the results. The dark Cornish here are also known as Indian Game birds, though I'm not sure what the "Indian" is they are referring to...

I bought a small digital food scale, cost about $11, and goes up to 5kg, so that's plenty for what we're doing. Now that the birds are a bit older and don't want to stay still for very long, I place them in an old ice cream gallon container to keep them still. Soon enough it will have to be a 2 gallon bucket, they're growing like weeds!

They've all maintained a solid 33% growth or better for the last 2 weeks, but that would be impossible to maintain for non-hybrids. I'm assuming it will slow down next week, but we shall see. Hopefully they stay with a 33% growth rate per week for the next week or 2 before they start to slow down. If my projections are correct, staying on 24% protein, the WRs may be close to 6-7 lbs by 16 weeks.

The DELs likely won't make it that big, but I have noticed that they are less aggressive now that they're older. The DCs are little rocks, it's amazing to pick them up and feel how solid they are! I'm excited to see the DC x WR crosses, I keep hearing about the "hybrid vigor" and hope that it holds up to all they hype!!

I'll post some new pics later today, after the sun goes down a bit and it isn't an oven out there. Looking out my window, I see the biggest WRC and his breast is defined and bulging, looks like he's been doing push-ups in "the yard".

@Dlmillion , I haven't seen you on this thread lately, I'm interested to see your growth rates as well! Definitely want to see how your project is coming along and compare notes.

What % feed are you using? And what's your favorite/most promising breed so far?

Sounds good then, ill make sure and try and keep a regular post of weights etc like you do. It is an interesting topic and hopefully more can learn from it.

Seeing you are from Orlando the heat must be crazy! we dont get anywhere near 30 here during even the summer, and plenty of rain!

Here's the big WRC, look at that breast meat!

Here's the DCC, seems a bit small compared to the same WRC as above, but he's compact:

And the DelC, he wouldn't look at me to get a good chest shot - but let me tell you, nothing to write home about...:

You can see the trademark legs on the cornish anyway, as far as I know the "indian" bit comes from when they were developed with the indian known for fighting while cornish promoted for table birds.

Kind of confusing as our table birds and ross cobbs etc dont look like the cornish that you get in America, certainly we dont refer to them as that. Might be in the breeding somewhere but no similarities really in appearances.

The white rock guy looks great, very pronounced breast on him alright. Are they a table bird then or what?

@Dlmillion , I haven't seen you on this thread lately, I'm interested to see your growth rates as well! Definitely want to see how your project is coming along and compare notes.

What % feed are you using? And what's your favorite/most promising breed so far?
My humblest apologies my friend!
Today marks the end of finals week this term!! along with that, i started a new job working night shift security a total of 48 hours a week, which is a huge blessing to have some extra income right now but, to say the least, i have been BUSY!
Aside from those things, winter is coming more quickly than i would like it to so there is much preparation to be done on our mile-long dirt driveway, heating for our house, along with building a nice new coop and run for my test subjects (chickens).

I digress, I am hoping and planning to get more weights tomorrow afternoon (one day late, not too bad) and then i will post the updated information :)

Thank you so much for encouraging me and being an inspiration!!
Keep doing what you are doing

PS. the chicks are all doing well and starting to get their color! I'v been using 20%(i think) protein starter feed and so far, the new hampshire reds definitely have the edge over the Australorps and Delawares.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom