Meat Bird Project - Delaware, White Rock, Dark Cornish

Pics
You've got the feeding regime well noted now and a base mark for getting a new batch in the spring, even for when breeding and hatching yourself

Unfortunately I've had to move house wit work and now living in the city, so had to get rid of the whole lot. No issue though as had people drive for a couple hours and another from the other end of the island!

Will still be following!
I'm very sad to hear that you no longer have the chicks! That really stinks. I hope the job is going well.

I separated the keepers over the weekend, and I'll be moving them into the main coop this weekend. 2 WR cockerels, 3 pullets, 1 DC cockerel and 1 pullet, and 1 Delaware pullet. When they move into the main coop, I'll switch all of their food over to 20% flock maintenance. They're all going through a bit of a molt right now, so the food might help with their feathers, we'll see. I'm going to build a large 55 gallon trashcan feeder with pvc, we'll see how it turns out. I also moved my 2 rabbits into the large coop last weekend, they are getting along spendidly and I hope that lasts after the next merger. I'll try to get some pics this weekend, in between hunting and fixing some coop roofing...

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted last. Not much going on with the project birds, just getting bigger and better-behaved everyday. I've also been working on the coop, got a lot going on there. I've incorporated my 2 rabbits into the coop, so most of the work has been in figuring out how the male keeps getting out and "plugging the holes". I've situated their cage right below the roosts, with a roof on it to catch the poop. This allows me to clean the roof every few days, keeping the smell down and limiting the flies.

I've also come up with a way to keep the rabbits and chickens from sharing food - I made the below chicken feeder, the 3" pipes are too small for the bunnies fat necks to enter. And the rabbit cage has a cinder block in front of it, the rabbits can fit through the square holes pretty easily, but the chickens can't get through it.

I know none of this has to do with the original purpose of this thread, but hey, it's all related... somehow... Now back to the project:

I'm not weighing them again until this weekend, they will be 16 weeks old (15 for the younger WRs), which is about when I plan/hope to cull the future DC Xs. I went out there today and spent some time loosening some of their bands, and I noticed that the "eater" cockerels look a bit bigger than my "keepers". I'll find out for sure when I weigh them - if it's true, I attribute it to the fact that the "eaters" are cooped up much tighter in a smaller space, no flightiness allowed, and are on the 24% still. The "keepers" are allowed to free-range with the older layers, and they're on a 20% flock raiser. Lower protein + more exercise = smaller birds, or at least that makes sense. I will eventually house the DC Xs in the same manner that currently do the pullets, in the mobile coop. A bit confined, but should make for bigger and more tender birds.

My guess is that the largest WRCs will be around 7 lbs, and the smaller DCs and Dels will be around 5-6 lbs. The pullets will be significantly smaller, but still close to around 3.5-5 lbs.

I plan to cull at least 8 of the cockerels by the end of November, the rest in early December, and all of the pullets will be freezer-filler by the end of the year. Then starts the FUN with the keepers. Hopefully they'll be laying by the end of January so I can start on the real project.

Here are some photos of the eaters - I think these are more appropriate than photos of the "keepers" for the above reasons:

All cockerels, Dels and WRs.

Mostly WR pullets and a few DC cockerels.

Mostly Del pullets.

I've had it in my mind since the beginning of this project that I would have a few roosters for my Thanksgiving meal. Well, I'm not sure if that's going to work out this year. Although they are growing fast and have beautiful frames, I'm not sure the meat's there yet. The legs are pretty scrawny on all of them so far, and the breasts are only felt in the dark Cornish. Definitely a bit disappointing, but it doesn't mean they are won't be great meat birds at around 20-24 weeks.

I'm putting all of my hope into the "hybrid vigor" of mixing the DCs and WRs.

Also, figured I'd put some other photos of my coop in here, mainly the new changes I've made over the past couple weeks.

I have the bunny cage right below the perches so the poop falls onto the roof. Then I can just roll the roof up, take it over to the compost bin and hose it off directly into the muck. I put a little DE and Sweet PZT on the roof to keep the bugs away and smell down, so far it's pretty nice.

This is the door to the bunny cage. The cage itself is a repurposed dog cage, then I added some plastic containers to give it a couple floors and to hold in the bedding. They like to get out and run with the chickens, but are much more likely to go into the woods and disappear, so we're keeping them locked up during the day. The coffee can is the tunnel that keeps the chickens out of their cage, and I can simply put the lid on the end to keep them in the cage. It was a simple idea, but it's working so far!

Here is the new feeder - I screwed up on my first test, so that container will go back to being a brooder. I will cover the holes with some hardware cloth so the brooder will have some fresh air.

I weighed a small portion of the roosters - 3, to be exact. 2 WRs and 1 Del from the below pen of roosters. None of them are the keepers, so they've been on 24% protein feed their entire lives. The 2 WRs were 3050g and 3200g - that's 7 lbs at 17 weeks. The Del weighed in at 2800g, which is just over 6 lbs. That sounds like they're going to be meaty, but the fact is they have a lot of frame and not a lot of flesh yet. They're getting there, but I expect it's going to take another month or 6 weeks to really fill out properly. Maybe even longer for the pullets, but I'm not gonna let that happen. These heritage birds are only for breeding a solid bloodline, I'm not too concerned if they don't make the weights that I'm hoping for in the crosses.

Here is a rooster coop (all future dinners), with my Dark Cornish cockerel and Del pullet, both keepers, standing in front:

The Dels and DCs were neck and neck their whole time together, so my guess is that they're about the same still. I plan to do an official weigh-in again next week, that would be 18 weeks and about the end of my projections as to when I will cull the future meatbirds. Then I will weigh them again at slaughter time, which should be a lot easier if they're not moving.

And here are the roosters that will be eaten first:

Another coop change I made yesterday, it's a rain barrel that I turned into a waterer with 10 horizontal nipples. I put one low for any smaller chickens and the rabbits. I also put an old float valve on it so it would keep it filled, but the valve may need to be cleaned 'cause it isn't stopping all the way. But I put a splitter with shutoff valves on it, so I should only have to turn it on for about 10 minutes every week or so, based on their previous water consumption.

I've been reading through your project with great interest, and I'm really impressed with how far you've come. I hope this doesn't come across as insulting or presumptuous, but have you considered adding some Naked Neck Turken blood to the mix to reduce processing time? That reduction in feathers really does cut down on processing time and the skin crisps up quite nicely.

Still looking awesome lad, some nice sizes and the birds look in great health!
Thank you, yes they are looking great but still not quite meaty enough to call it a day. I've started to feed the roosters a couple handfuls of scratch and cracked corn everyday to give them a bit of fat/flavor. I checked them yesterday, the DC cockerels are starting to get some thicker breast meat, and the Dels and WRs are also getting a bit thicker. I think another 2 weeks or so for the cockerels, and maybe Christmas time for the pullets.

I've been reading through your project with great interest, and I'm really impressed with how far you've come. I hope this doesn't come across as insulting or presumptuous, but have you considered adding some Naked Neck Turken blood to the mix to reduce processing time? That reduction in feathers really does cut down on processing time and the skin crisps up quite nicely.
Not insulting at all, no I appreciate the ideas. I'm focusing on the 3 breeds right now, mainly on the WRs and DCs. Once I get them up to snuff, I'll work on introducing some new breeds, and the Turken is one at the top of my list. I've heard they get quite broad as well, which is another plus. Do you have NNs? And if so, are they good quality meat producers?

I just ordered another batch from McMurray Hatchery that should be delivered around February 1, just DCs and WRs. I didn't realize that McMurray was also in Iowa (so is Welp, my first batch), otherwise I would have picked another hatchery altogether. But so be it, hoping that the new bloodline will help out with the size, and more importantly, the meatiness. I also hope to have my first small batches of pure WRs and DCs from the first batch, that way I can get started on Generation 2 of the Welp batch right after the McMurray Gen. 1 is delivered.

I may need more coops...

Thank you, yes they are looking great but still not quite meaty enough to call it a day. I've started to feed the roosters a couple handfuls of scratch and cracked corn everyday to give them a bit of fat/flavor. I checked them yesterday, the DC cockerels are starting to get some thicker breast meat, and the Dels and WRs are also getting a bit thicker. I think another 2 weeks or so for the cockerels, and maybe Christmas time for the pullets.

Not insulting at all, no I appreciate the ideas. I'm focusing on the 3 breeds right now, mainly on the WRs and DCs. Once I get them up to snuff, I'll work on introducing some new breeds, and the Turken is one at the top of my list. I've heard they get quite broad as well, which is another plus. Do you have NNs? And if so, are they good quality meat producers?

I just ordered another batch from McMurray Hatchery that should be delivered around February 1, just DCs and WRs. I didn't realize that McMurray was also in Iowa (so is Welp, my first batch), otherwise I would have picked another hatchery altogether. But so be it, hoping that the new bloodline will help out with the size, and more importantly, the meatiness. I also hope to have my first small batches of pure WRs and DCs from the first batch, that way I can get started on Generation 2 of the Welp batch right after the McMurray Gen. 1 is delivered.

I may need more coops...

More coops...more property...more chickens....LOL! I totally relate to that!

Actually, NNs are my primary breed and like you I've been working diligently towards producing a nice meat line. I'm also keeping a pure line of NN and am trying to reach SOP standards with them, plus an egg line that includes blue & green layers, but still with single combs. My meat line so far includes crosses with WR hens, Bielefelder hens, and one Ameraucana-mix rooster that have given me some really lovely birds. Next I'll be crossing with some DC/CX crosses and a pure DC. My current goal is to have a nice, meaty 5 lb finished bird by 16 weeks, but with enough hardiness to survive to at least 2 years of age if I select one for breeding. The intense heat here in southern AZ makes the NN a perfect breed to keep. Here are a few of my primary breeders:

Zazzle: Reached 4.83 pounds @ 16 weeks; nice breast and thigh meat, pure NN with unique barred feathering.

Simon: NN/WR cross - Also reached 4.83 lbs @ 16 weeks but is now much heavier and well-rounded. He has more breast meat than Zazzle, but less thigh meat.

Pepper: NN/Australorp cross - reached 5.00 lbs @ 16 weeks, but has a longer keel and less breast meat than I'd like. I had originally planned on using him primarily as an egg layer, but now want to try crossing him with my CX and see what comes of it.

Heisenberg: Pure NN reached 5.4 lbs @ 16 weeks. He's my oldest rooster (2 yrs), and the fastest grower and has sired many of my other birds. I also plan to cross him with both my WR hens and my CX hen.

Willa: My best NN/WR pullet. She reached 4.0 lbs @16 weeks and now weighs nearly 8 lbs @ 8 months. I'm crossing her will all of the boys above, starting with Zazzle. I just hatched out one of her chicks and so far I'm very pleased with size and growth rate, though I'm unsure of gender. I plan to hatch out a clutch from her in the next couple months.

Misha & Gypsy: NN/Bielefelder crosses - both reached 3.5 lbs @ 16 weeks and have grown to roughly 7.5 lbs now at 8 mos. What I like about them is their round breast meat and their natural tendency to accumulate more flavorful fat, thanks to the their Biel blood. (Some of my best tasting birds have been part Bielefelder.)

Here's the last NN carcass I butchered @ 21 weeks. It weighed in at 5.83 lbs processed. The red tint to the skin often happens on healthy NNs, especially when they're free range like mine are and spend a lot of time in the sun.

Wow, that is a nice looking carcass! I am very interested in getting into NNs, but probably looking into that in 2 years or so. I'm very impressed with the sizes, much bigger than I thought they would be.

I've been drafting out my breeding plans for the next 2 years, and it's going to be a lot of work - basically a part-time job. I've also been working on another coop, this will be my 3rd stationary coop, along with the 3-pen mobile coop. The big coop is for my adults/layers, then the 2 smaller coops will be breeding pens. It will also allow me to separate the rabbits (1 buck and 1 doe, so that could get out of hand very quickly...).

I felt up the roosters again today and they are definitely coming along. I'm considering butchering them this weekend, but with how far they've come in this past week or so, it may be worth giving them another week (21 weeks, 20 for some of the WR roos). It's a gamble though, less tender meat, or more tougher meat. I guess 1 week shouldn't make that much of a difference with tenderness. I don't know, now I'm talking myself in circles. I also looked at the Delaware hens compared to the WR hens, MUCH smaller still. I'm very likely going to scrap them altogether from this project. I will butcher the biggest roo and 2 biggest pullets last, just in case there is a huge surprise when I get in there. Who knows, maybe the WRs are much bigger but it's all frame and gut - gonna keep my mind open until I really see what we're dealing with.

Buying a chest freezer tomorrow either way, and borrowed a vacuum sealer from a buddy. Definitely looking forward to getting rid of some of the noise - 14 roosters is a lot to try to ignore at 4:30 AM...

Wow, that is a nice looking carcass! I am very interested in getting into NNs, but probably looking into that in 2 years or so. I'm very impressed with the sizes, much bigger than I thought they would be.

I've been drafting out my breeding plans for the next 2 years, and it's going to be a lot of work - basically a part-time job. I've also been working on another coop, this will be my 3rd stationary coop, along with the 3-pen mobile coop. The big coop is for my adults/layers, then the 2 smaller coops will be breeding pens. It will also allow me to separate the rabbits (1 buck and 1 doe, so that could get out of hand very quickly...).

I felt up the roosters again today and they are definitely coming along. I'm considering butchering them this weekend, but with how far they've come in this past week or so, it may be worth giving them another week (21 weeks, 20 for some of the WR roos). It's a gamble though, less tender meat, or more tougher meat. I guess 1 week shouldn't make that much of a difference with tenderness. I don't know, now I'm talking myself in circles. I also looked at the Delaware hens compared to the WR hens, MUCH smaller still. I'm very likely going to scrap them altogether from this project. I will butcher the biggest roo and 2 biggest pullets last, just in case there is a huge surprise when I get in there. Who knows, maybe the WRs are much bigger but it's all frame and gut - gonna keep my mind open until I really see what we're dealing with.

Buying a chest freezer tomorrow either way, and borrowed a vacuum sealer from a buddy. Definitely looking forward to getting rid of some of the noise - 14 roosters is a lot to try to ignore at 4:30 AM...

I know what you mean about all of those roosters crowing. I also have 14 right now plus I just hatched a few more. About half of my roosters are so affectionate with me that I think of them almost as pets, which makes it rather hard to cull them. In the last few hatches I've tried really hard to remain detached from the roosters as soon as I recognize their gender, but I bred for temperament along with size, so all of the "mean and flighty" has pretty much disappeared, leaving "friendly and affectionate" in their place.
hmm.png

Your experience with the Delawares really interests me as I've been contemplating adding that breed to my every-growing flock...primarily because I've been told by a few people that they eat Fire Ants. We have a major Fire Ant problem here and so far very few of my current chickens will take the time to eat them. But, if I added Delawares they would have to contribute to my own meat program. Hmm.....

Just for grins, check out this chick from my latest hatch:

This is Andres at 2 weeks...and a whopping 7 ounces in weight already!
ep.gif

He's a White Rock + Ameraucana-mix + Dorking-mix and is just blowing me away with his rapid growth rate (over 500% since hatch) and surprisingly sweet disposition. I thought his daddy was big, but he's dwarfing his sire significantly.

Back
Top Bottom