Meat Bird Project - Delaware, White Rock, Dark Cornish

Pics
Hi. I'm late coming to this thread, but I have a question. It looks like (I didn't read all the posts) that you're doing an ambitious meat project, but I'm curious as to why you used hatchery-quality Delawares. I can see from the pictures that they're hatchery birds -- light, petite frames that have been bred for laying and don't carry as much meat, not the full-framed SoP-bred Delawares that were, in fact, the proper dual-purpose bird. Was it the ease with which you could acquire the hatchery birds that made the decision for you?

They are hatchery stock birds, got them from Welp. I used hatchery stock for several reasons, mainly because it was what I and everyone in the country can get without doing too much research. They definitely aren't bred for meat birds, that is true. I have cancelled my second order of hatchery stock (from McMurray) for that very reason - next birds I get will be from a breeder. But the current project still stands for what it is, getting hatchery birds and breeding for size and meat while maintaining a solid temperament.

If you know anyone in my area who breeds any of the 3 types I have, let me know and I'll definitely add breeder stock to the next generation.

They are hatchery stock birds, got them from Welp. I used hatchery stock for several reasons, mainly because it was what I and everyone in the country can get without doing too much research. They definitely aren't bred for meat birds, that is true. I have cancelled my second order of hatchery stock (from McMurray) for that very reason - next birds I get will be from a breeder. But the current project still stands for what it is, getting hatchery birds and breeding for size and meat while maintaining a solid temperament.

If you know anyone in my area who breeds any of the 3 types I have, let me know and I'll definitely add breeder stock to the next generation.

This breeder isn't in your area, but they do ship:

http://eightacresfarm.weebly.com/

I know someone who bought some New Hampshires from this breeder and is completely blown away with their quality.

There is a lot to be learned in projects like this. If and when you use the knowledge gained and move up to better stock I urge you to only use the better breeder stock and not mix them in with current project. For instance you may find the Delaware not as fruitful as New Hampshire and may find the combination of White Rock over Cornish provides the best carcass. Basically you'll learn a lot and with that and using less breeds of higher quality may do great things.

With all breeding it's best to use the very best you can obtain or have. Like if you only have one superior cockerel it's better to only use him rather than less birds of breed to make more crosses, just put more hens under him.

I understand.They are a rare breed nowadays and there are a lot of less-than-stellar-looking Delawares out there not bred to standard and whose breeders are capitalizing on the background story of the breed to charge top dollar. It does take a bit of research to find a properly bred Delaware. I'm concerned, though, that starting with hatchery stock to try to breed for meat, the size/frame DNA just isn't there anymore.

This breeder isn't in your area, but they do ship:

http://eightacresfarm.weebly.com/
They are in Florida, near Gainesville, so that's probably as local as you'll get. I went to the page fully expecting to reveal them as posers, but the pictures look quite nice. I might suggest that instead of adding these to next year's breeding program, that you replace the hatchery birds with these.

Last edited:
I have 27 eggs in the incy, good diversity of bloodlines so hoping to pick the best from it and go from there, but its late in the season so I will see how these fair as we do get the short days and cold winters, not sure if thats a factor for you though?

Id be interested to see photos of your birds, as I say Ive never encountered them here.  La Bresse have made it to the states but no idea what they are like now as seem tricky to get good birds out of France for obvious reasons.  Definitely keep us posted, even when people dont reply to posts they will be reading.  And it is a good momento for future whn you look back and see notes you made here and opinions or views you may have had and how theyve changed!

I'd be interested in figuring out how we could ship some of your fertile eggs foe hatching. I truly want some of the Bresse so badly!!!

The heat is a factor for me right now, we have this "heat dome" that's been lingering over the entire country for a week now. I'm doing what I can to prepare my tractor coop with some fans in it to help keep the temp manageable. I had a thermometer in there yesterday during the heat of the day, showed a high of 97 F, so I'll test it out today with the fan in there. 
Where was the auction located?

I also found some LaBresse eggs up for auction and will consider buying them at a later time. I'm just not sure how pure they would be, but the photos of the parents did have the blue legs and feet and the body looked to be standard. You just never know with auctions.

Sorry but I had to get rid of them, plus we werent sure on shipping laws to the states or if theyd be checked by you guys and someone end up with a fine :p

They have likely made it over, but like anything wont be what they are like here.

Haven checked in for a while, bit depressing after having to get rid of my own birds! But I still have the 4 hens and rooster so have that if I ever go back, but having to get my granda to look after them so it may depend on how long he wants to! I still get messages from a onths old ad about them.

Plucker and all looks great! Hopefully you have no issues with fertility with your dark cornish! They look great but that shape seemingly doesnt help them any with breeding

Back
Top Bottom