Meat Bird Project - Delaware, White Rock, Dark Cornish

Pics
Well, I'm officially starting on Generation 2 of my birds. I only kept 2 roosters, one DC and one WR. They are both beautiful, but there are not enough hens to keep them both happy. So they are sharing a bachelor pad, which leaves the hens and ducks in the big coop (the drake thinks he's the favorite of all the boys, which is not true). I would keep the DC roo out with the hens as well, but he is a bit aggressive at my wife and kid when I let them free range. I think he's going through his territorial phase - he knows I'm in charge, but I'm out there a lot more than my kid is, so he goes after my boy every time he turns his back to the roo. I've been tempted to "permanently separate" him, but then I remember the end goal. And also keeping the roos separate means I'll know my hens are only mating with the particular roo I want and when I choose, this is very important at this time until I figure out what is the best recipe for me.

For my first incubation, I've got 4 White Rock/Delaware eggs and 4 Dark Cornish/Delaware eggs. They are due to hatch in another week or so. I'm hoping for an awesome WR/Del hen out of it, but the rest will likely be food or for sale. The next batch will only be for WR/Dels, I want to add the 2 largest hens to my current flock, then the rest will all be for sale. Once that is done, I will likely part with the WR rooster and integrate my DC roo with the flock. At that point, he will be properly trained that people are always in charge.

The next few batches will be Dark Cornish over the biggest WR and Del hens. I'm likely only going to do 4 of each at a time again until I figure out which is the best-producing second breed. They will be just for meat, but if I find a roo that is huge compared to the others, i may keep him for a 4-breed cross, eventually.

I'm currently boiling up 3 of the last roosters. The Dark Cornish breast meat is huge, something I'd expect to pay $5/lb at a typical grocery store. The thighs and legs of all 3 varieties are very big. They were all 25 weeks old, so a bit tougher than I would want but still very flavorful, and the soup that they make is a neighborhood favorite. After seeing these birds at 25 weeks, I again have high hopes that the hybrids will get that big within 18-20 weeks. Maybe I'll get lucky.

I found that I got a bit frustrated a few times during that first batch... I mainly got frustrated at the size of the birds. So once I separated the smaller ones from the big ones and only kept track of those "keepers", I got more encouraged. There were just so many dinky-small ones, including one of the "dark cornish" hens that I got. (I put "DC" in quotes because I don't think that is what she is, at least not fully. Maybe a bantam. She's tiny, like a bit larger than a crow. But she's sweet, so I've kept her for now.) But take her and the other female out of the mix, and the DCs are a pretty solid specimen.

The next frustration came as they got to the 18-20 week timeframe. Even knowing that they wouldn't be huge, I'd hoped they would be. That hope was dashed, and I naively took that to mean something. It didn't. They did as well as I'd hoped originally when I started this project. All of the research that I had done was pretty accurate. And hey, it was hatchery stock, so not bad when you look at all of the variables. But then when they were big enough, the meat wasn't as tender as I'd hoped, so again I got frustrated. So I learned that, next time, the "eaters" will be in the mobile tractor only, able to be out in the fresh grass daily, but no room to run or flap their wings. I'm going to stick with the plan that I had originally. That should help with their tenderness, or that is what I've read and now tend to believe.

My final frustration was the amount of work that it took to pluck them. I tried making my own feather plucker, and that didn't work out as well as I'd hoped and I'm back to the drawing board on it. I've got some time to perfect it, but until then I've also realized that plucking by hand really isn't that much more work. I need to slow down and enjoy the process a bit more. They've earned that.

I once again have high hopes. As I smell that stock cooking on the stove, I'm reminded why I'm doing this, and that the next batch won't be limited to just soup.

I still think you should consider NNs. Plucking is MUCH faster and the skin is nicer and crisps up beautifully.

Here's the prize cockerel from my latest hatch:

He weighed in at 1.3 lbs at only 4 weeks of age.

Another of my favorites is this boy:

He's 3.6 lbs at 10 weeks.

Hi. Just wanted to let you know I was following your progress. As I was considering buy a bunch of roo chicks to process for the freezer, I was wondering what you would change about your processing timing. How much earlier would you process next time to reduce any toughness? Also I had a little hen like that before and she hatched all my eggs. A great little brooder! Continued good luck and I'll keep watching.

Last edited:
Hi. Just wanted to let you know I was following your progress. As I was considering buy a bunch of roo chicks to process for the freezer, I was wondering what you would change about your processing timing. How much earlier would you process next time to reduce any toughness? Also I had a little hen like that before and she hatched all my eggs. A great little brooder! Continued good luck and I'll keep watching.

As far as my birds, I likely would have waited until they were all 24-25 weeks before butchering them. Like I said, a bit tougher, but any sooner and their breast meat just wasn't there yet. They were also easier to pluck as they got older with less pin feathers. I'm not sure what kinds you are considering, but if they are hatchery stock dual-purpose, any sooner than 24 weeks would likely be a waste.

And yes, I hope she turns into a nice brooder. She's really sweet, and seems to be a pretty good forager. Thank you for keeping an eye on this project. It'll be interesting to see how much difference there will be with the crosses that are in the works, hopefully it's a positive difference!

I still think you should consider NNs. Plucking is MUCH faster and the skin is nicer and crisps up beautifully.

I definitely have them on my list to add to the population whenever I purchase my next batch. If things go well with this next batch, I hope to add Naked Necks, White Jersey Giants, and maybe Light Brahmas. But, honestly, that's not likely going to be for a while. I want to play with this stock for a while first, see how they do as they mature, etc. I'm aiming for big birds, but also good temperaments, good sized eggs, solid breeders. It's a lot of work

I definitely have them on my list to add to the population whenever I purchase my next batch. If things go well with this next batch, I hope to add Naked Necks, White Jersey Giants, and maybe Light Brahmas. But, honestly, that's not likely going to be for a while. I want to play with this stock for a while first, see how they do as they mature, etc. I'm aiming for big birds, but also good temperaments, good sized eggs, solid breeders. It's a lot of work

I hear ya! You and I have VERY similar goals...just with different breeds. I love watching your progress and learn nearly as much from what you are kind enough to share on here as I do from my own breeding projects. Thanks for sharing!

As far as my birds, I likely would have waited until they were all 24-25 weeks before butchering them. Like I said, a bit tougher, but any sooner and their breast meat just wasn't there yet. They were also easier to pluck as they got older with less pin feathers. I'm not sure what kinds you are considering, but if they are hatchery stock dual-purpose, any sooner than 24 weeks would likely be a waste. 

And yes, I hope she turns into a nice brooder. She's really sweet, and seems to be a pretty good forager. Thank you for keeping an eye on this project. It'll be interesting to see how much difference there will be with the crosses that are in the works, hopefully it's a positive difference!
I am looking at what this hatchery is calling black broilers. Apparently they have all the positive characteristics of the cornish w/o the negatives. They also have a red broiler but there is no other difference noted. I can get 50 for 1.40 each from Ideal Poultry.

I am looking at what this hatchery is calling black broilers. Apparently they have all the positive characteristics of the cornish w/o the negatives. They also have a red broiler but there is no other difference noted. I can get 50 for 1.40 each from Ideal Poultry.

I really love Ideal.
I am so happy with what I have ordered from them.

I woke up yesterday to a cold house, cold water, and a REALLY cold incubator. Had a power surge apparently that knocked out several breakers, including the outlet that had the incy. I have a feeling the eggs aren't going to make it, so I'm already planning on my next batch. Eh, it happens, not thrilled but it's not the end of the world. I'm also shopping around for some sold stock of Delawares, White Rocks, and Cornish, as well as some other solid stock of dual-purpose breeds. If anyone knows of anyone in my area, let me know - I'm also willing to travel to get hold of proven meaty birds that would make good crosses.

Back
Top Bottom