MECTIN drenches... WHP for hatching or consuption

This is what I use. I only worm perhaps twice a year when things are wet here. I use DE for mites though to be honest I've never seen any. I dust all nest boxes when cleaning and inside the coop when cleaning. Making sure to get the corners and any wet areas. Then I toss a bunch of DE on top of the wood shavings since the birds will roll in them when they're fresh.

You will get varying opinions on many matters but I say choose the one the works for you. Try to keep things clean and dry and there should be no trouble. Warm and humid is a disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks rancher hicks.. great advice

This is what one of your own vets in Australia advised to worm with in the first link in post #4:

Recommended Worm Treatments

All wormer tablet - Prazole (1 tablet per 500gram body weight) Levamisole - Levamisole (98%w/v) (1 teaspoon per 5 litres of drinking water).
Moxidectin and Praziquantel - GTWormer (5mls/2 litres of drinking water for 2 days) This is a combination tapeworm, general worm and lice treatment.

Most vets have recognized for some time that most chicken worms have resistance to ivermectin. In the US many use albendazole (Valbazen) or fenbendazole (SafeGuard, Panacur.)

My method of worming is to use an eyedropper with measurements. I do it at night wearing a headlamp so both hands are free.

I just go down the line as they're roosting in the dark, administering the Ivomec, between the shoulder blades.

No panicking birds. Just the occasional sqwak.

I don't like to have to withdraw eggs. I can't disagree with you Eggcessive, since I'm not a Vet. However, I'm not a commercial farm where birds are shoulder to shoulder in a barn.

Seems to me caged birds would have no need to be wormed since they're not on the ground.

I've read a lot and like I said there will be varying opinions. I think there is a lot of worry and hysteria over chickens diseases and such due to commercial problems. For some backyarders, a bird doesn't lay for a bit and it's "Oh no worms! " Or worse a bird gets a bruise and limps and "it's Mareks"! .

I have a backyard flock and I don't wait for the next "wave" of birds before I clean my coops.

Some folks advocate natural wormers. Garlic and Pumpkin, etc. etc.

To each his/her own. Like I said keep your birds clean and dry and there should be no problems.

I wish you well ,

Rancher

My method of worming is to use an eyedropper with measurements. I do it at night wearing a headlamp so both hands are free.

I just go down the line as they're roosting in the dark, administering the Ivomec, between the shoulder blades.

No panicking birds. Just the occasional sqwak.

I don't like to have to withdraw eggs. I can't disagree with you Eggcessive, since I'm not a Vet. However, I'm not a commercial farm where birds are shoulder to shoulder in a barn.

Seems to me caged birds would have no need to be wormed since they're not on the ground.

I've read a lot and like I said there will be varying opinions. I think there is a lot of worry and hysteria over chickens diseases and such due to commercial problems. For some backyarders, a bird doesn't lay for a bit and it's "Oh no worms! " Or worse a bird gets a bruise and limps and "it's Mareks"! .

I have a backyard flock and I don't wait for the next "wave" of birds before I clean my coops.

To each his/her own. Like I said keep your birds clean and dry and there should be no problems.

I wish you well ,

Rancher
Curiously, have you had fecal floats done before and after using ivermectin?

-Kathy

Quote: So you can't say that the wormer works, right? All one can say is they haven't seen worms, but we all know that doesn't mean they don't have them.

Here is a cecal worm that I really had to look for:

This is from a chick (not mine) that was not pooping out any worms:

-Kathy

Ivermectin is not an effective anthelmintic, yet the perpetual misinformation exists all over the internet.
The truth is:
* The pharyngeal muscle of avr-15 mutants does not respond to ivermectin (Dent, Davis and Avery, 1997; Pemberton et al., 2001) clearly indicating an involvement of GluClα2. An important point to note in terms of the site of anthelmintic action of ivermectin is that although the pharynxes of avr-15 mutants are not inhibited by ivermectin, populations of avr-15 mutants exposed to ivermectin are still paralyzed.

* http://www.wormbook.org/chapters/www_anthelminticdrugs/anthelminticdrugs.html

I know what you mean about new folks becoming worrisome over the slightest change in behavior.
The same could be said for the other extreme of people who let birds go downhill for a few months, then want a cure when it could be a multitude of problems causing sickness. I prefer deworming periodically being in a Mediterranean climate where worms and vectors exist. I haven't lost any birds to worms and longevity is good among the birds I keep.

You may not, but it is a good practice to sanitize a grow-off area before chicks are raised there, just as it is highly recommended to quarantine new birds to ensure they aren't diseased before being in contact with existing birds. To encourage others not to do that just promotes the likelihood of disease.

They don't live in the real world and have no proof garlic or pumpkin remove intestinal worms. The proof is recorded in trials with Benzamidazole classes of anthelmintics.

Clean and dry is certainly the way to go with adequate ventilation. Most backyard chicken owners let birds range whether it is the wet or dry season where vectors exist on range. Still, unless people just becoming accustomed to raising chickens don't practice preventative measures, health problems are more likely to occur.

Last edited:
And there is this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9269125
Vet Med (Praha). 1997 Jun;42(6):157-60.
Anthelmintic efficacy of ivermectin against Syngamus trachea and Capillaria spp. in pheasant.

Lamka J1, Svobodová V, Slézková J.
Author information

• 1Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Charles University, Hradec Králové, Czech Republic. [email protected]
Abstract

Ivermectin (IVM) was perorally administered in dosage schemes 1 x 0.8 mg/kg of body weight (b.w.), 1 x 1.6 mg/kg h.w., 3 x 0.8 mg/kg b.w., and 3 x 1.6 mg/kg b.w. to pheasants infected by Syngamus trachea and Capillaria spp. The samples of faeces were coprologically examined. The clinical state of pheasant was controlled. In all of the used therapeutical schemes the helminthostatic or partially helminthocide effect against adults of worms was reached. The clinical signs of helmithoses were reduced only. IVM in tested doses is not possible to recommend as an effective drug of pheasant syngamosis and capillariosis

-Kathy

And this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174
Zentralbl Veterinarmed B. 1989 Sep;36(7):495-9.
Ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic--trials with naturally infected domestic fowl.

Oksanen A, Nikander S.
Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom