Membrane blocking egg

Jennarich

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2023
Hi all,
My Copper Buff Orpington has an egg stuck. It's her first. The vent is opening but there's a pinkish membrane covering the golfball sized mass. It feels like an egg because its pretty firm not an organ which may be soft and mushy. I've done the epsom salt bathes, but the membrane is blocking. I rub around with oil on finger to see whether the membrane will move aside. I've massaging gently to see if the egg may shift to better position for passing. No results yet. Trying dark box next.

Does a chicken die of liver failure if it can't poop? My understanding is that is not too painful way to go.
Any other ideas?
The local emergency vet is too far and expensive.

Last edited:
The sooner the better in these situations.
I had read about the short window of opportunity for saving the hen 1-2 days. She's doing ok because (I believe) she is still passing poop, too. A bit runny of course. But it's passing. I think the toxicity is the danger? Also, I've treated area frequently with olive oil to reduce inflammation and lubricate. Thankfully no sign of tears, or bleeding, in my search. She's oddly in good spirits. Not doing the signs of pain. She's been trying lay this egg about 4-5 days now! She's looks annoyed, but not in pain.

I had read about the short window of opportunity for saving the hen 1-2 days. She's doing ok because (I believe) she is still passing poop, too. A bit runny of course. But it's passing. I think the toxicity is the danger? Also, I've treated area frequently with olive oil to reduce inflammation and lubricate. Thankfully no sign of tears, or bleeding, in my search. She's oddly in good spirits. Not doing the signs of pain. She's been trying lay this egg about 4-5 days now! She's looks annoyed, but not in pain.
4-5 days? She is seriously in trouble, & poultry are really good at hiding pain.

Are you able to get some calcium Citrate Tablets? It help with contractions so she can pass the egg.
Screenshot_20220203-115217_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220203-115250_Chrome.jpg

Yes, I had put quite a bit on her favorite food this morning. I had kale, oyster shells, nutritious commercial food in her quarantine area a few days. But, I can see today she is eating up the seeds and larva with the calcium powder on them.

These pics may give clearer view of the bulge. This is the 3rd day of this phase. Days 1-2 were squatting and checking nesting box. Days 3-4 egg was coming along passage but slowly. Finally day 5 the egg is at the vent opening, and day 6, now day 7.

Attachments

• PXL_20230913_114823151.jpg
    PXL_20230913_114823151.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20230913_115021271.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230913_115021271.MP.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 12
Yes, I had put quite a bit on her favorite food this morning. I had kale, oyster shells, nutritious commercial food in her quarantine area a few days. But, I can see today she is eating up the seeds and larva with the calcium powder on them.

These pics may give clearer view of the bulge. This is the 3rd day of this phase. Days 1-2 were squatting and checking nesting box. Days 3-4 egg was coming along passage but slowly. Finally day 5 the egg is at the vent opening, and day 6, now day 7.
Tablets are supposed to be given whole, right in the beak. She's not going to get all of the powder when sprinkled on feed.

Avoid kale, & or spinach. The high iron content will inhibit the calcium absorption. Don't give treats frequently throughout the treatment either. Treats are seeds, kale, larva etc.

Back
Top Bottom