Messages Likes & Trophies

feathermaid

Egg Obsessed
5 Years
Feb 5, 2018
Northwest Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
So I've noticed quite a few members with an outrageous number of likes and trophy points, but not really that many messages comparatively (say 15-30 likes per post, totally possible on a few, but not for every single one). Apparently it's because all posts in the Games/Jokes/Fun forum are not included your actual message count.

I think maybe it's because of the "count to a million" type threads where threads like that could be used to boost one's post count and trophy count. :idunno
If that's the case, the likes received and given in the game forum still count toward trophy points. It's very deceiving to see members that have so few messages with so many thousand likes and a very high trophy count.

If the Games/Jokes/Fun forum isn't part of the counting system, shouldn't that section be consistent in all its areas, including likes?
I couldn't figure out how that was happening, but now I know :barnie

Yes, but I thought there was a limit of "likes" per day (or was that just on the old platform?)

There is no limit to likes and I find myself liking A LOT of posts, often just in acknowledgement that I've read it, especially if a response isn't required. Buuuut, sometimes you come across an outstandingly informative post, or a super hilarious or just plain beautiful message that needs special recognition.

If the like:message ratio can't be regulated, I would like to see a "SPECIAL" like button added. This button can have a limit (maybe 1 or 2 per day?) and can lead to possibly a different type of trophy or maybe even a NEW BADGE!!

What do you think??

Thanks for pointing out that bit of info about posts / likes in the GJF section.

The posts from the GJF section do not count towards member's post counts, but the likes do.

You have some interesting ideas there regarding ways we could change things. We'll be reviewing and discussing these ideas (and a few others).

I didn't know that about that section but I've seen a lot of members with what seems to be a crazy amount of likes. I would include the OP as on the lower end to like you said 30Xs the likes as posts.
I've also noticed members that seem to like just about every post posted. For some its all important that they get as many likes as possible and some want to give as many as possible.
That's the sad thing about most things on here. How many likes someone has means nothing to me because some members flaw the system which makes it pretty much null and void.

It would be difficult to keep the likes function in that section, but not have it count towards the total post count. Really, the only other option right now would probably be to turn off likes for that entire section, and that wouldn't cause likes that were given before to not get counted. I think we will have more options with post reactions when we go to XF2.

Something I was thinking about, but may be too technical, is to implement a more detailed like option across the site.
I was thinking maybe that when someone clicks the like button, they have to choose from select drop down options why they gave the likes.
I.E "I found this post useful" "this user was helpful" "I learned something new" and "No specific reason". And the no specific reason likes would not count in the recipient's like quota, but would still give a like to discourage people from selecting false options.

It would be difficult to keep the likes function in that section, but not have it count towards the total post count. Really, the only other option right now would probably be to turn off likes for that entire section, and that wouldn't cause likes that were given before to not get counted. I think we will have more options with post reactions when we go to XF2.
If I remember correctly, likes were disabled in the games section of the old forum.

Back
Top Bottom