Metal Chicken Tractor From Murray Mcmurray - Review!

JacobMaxwell

Songster
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
I found that when I ordered this chicken tractor online, there was very little information about it, so I have decided to fix that problem and do a full review of the the chicken tractor available at http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/portable_chicken_pen.html.

This is just an overall view, showing nests, a bit of the feeder, and the open air portion of the coop. The coop is 5' X 10' and none of that space is taken up be nests or the feeder.

The feeder is on the indoor end of the coop. There is a large reservoir that sits on the outside and can hold more than a full bag of feed. You can also see the handle for one of the large hinged lids in this shot.

This picture is looking at the inside of the reservoir, and also shows the secure latch that keeps rodents out of your feed.

Here is where the chickens eat from on the inside. I would recommend using pellets in this feeder, as there is a fair amount of waste with the crumbs.

These are the nesting boxes. As you can see, they are external. We just had a rain, and they stayed bone dry on the inside. There are handy slide out trays for cleaning the nests, with secure latches.

Each box is accesible from outside the coop through a hinged door secured by a racoon proof latch.

Near the middle of the coop, there is a place under the middle roof to instal a roost. You can use lag bolts or drywall screws. The instructions recommended a 2X4, but we used a natural branch.

The coop is light and easily movable, as the feed box counterbalances the weight. The coop is equipped moving handles on one end and retractable wheels on the other.

Here is a wheel shown in the retracted or raised position, with the provided pin in the upper hole above the upper bracket.

In the extended or lowered positon, the pin is placed in the lower hole below the lower bracket.

Overall, I am very pleased with this coop and it is great not to have any cleaning to do like in a conventional coop. Assembly seems complicated at first, but if you're moderately handy and know how to use a wrench, you can assemble this thing.

Last edited:
Cool coop! Just one question, though. It is metal, so does it get really hot in the summer, and cold in the winter?

Cool coop! Just one question, though. It is metal, so does it get really hot in the summer, and cold in the winter?
We've had some really hot days lately, getting on to 30 C, and the inside of the coop stayed comfortably cool. The shiny metal reflects most of the heat. I haven't had the coop for winter yet, but you can buy something called winter panels that cover the part with holes and help the chickens stay warm with body heat.

Nice Tractor!

How do you lift the coop to lower the wheels....by hand, not too heavy?

Wonders if those nest box latches are water proof and raccoon proof.

Is there anything to deter predator dig under?

Nice Tractor!

How do you lift the coop to lower the wheels....by hand, not too heavy?

Wonders if those nest box latches are water proof and raccoon proof.

Is there anything to deter predator dig under?
Lifting the coop to lower the wheels is not hugely difficult, but I think it might a little heavy to do with one hand (you have to lift with one hand, and put the pin in with the other) if the feeder was completely full.

Sadly, there isn't anything to deter digging predators, but I have been keeping chickens in a smaller tractor with no wire bottom for three years with no problems. Digging predators are not a huge issue where I live. If you have lots of digging predators, I'm sure you coud fasten hardware cloth to the botom of the tractor.

Update: As an answer to all the questions about the tractor getting too hot, I just found out from the manufacturer of the coop that the aluminum reflects so much heat that the interior of the structure stays about 10 degrees cooler than the outside temperature. Furthermore, they also say that the coop stays relatively warm in the winter, when the winter panels are fitted. Some people even use clear plastic instead of the winter panels, which really heats the coop up well when it's cold out.

Update: As an answer to all the questions about the tractor getting too hot, I just found out from the manufacturer of the coop that the aluminum reflects so much heat that the interior of the structure stays about 10 degrees cooler than the outside temperature. Furthermore, they also say that the coop stays relatively warm in the winter, when the winter panels are fitted. Some people even use clear plastic instead of the winter panels, which really heats the coop up well when it's cold out.
Have you checked the temp inside to confirm this?

Back
Top Bottom