Metal corrugated roof! Ugh...

Pics
Don't use tar paper between the metal and plywood. It can cause corrosion problems. Talk with the guy at Home Depot, or wherever you go, and he will recommend a synthetic material that doesn't cause that problem.

It just occured to me that if furring strips are used the metal and tar paper would not be in contact. I am not negating what you are saying as I don't know; just adding a possible solution.

Before the snow and cold start up again I'm in some much needed help/advice.
This past summer I had a nice 10x8 coop built. It currently has two smallish windows on either side of the main door to enter the coop. I have it decided off so my 9 bigger girls and 3 ducks are one one side and silkies are on the other side. There are two chicken doors. The back half of the coop has a covered run and the one side has a covered run.
Now to my issue... The darn roof inside the coop constantly has moisture!!!!!! As we all know excessive moisture in the coop is not good, at all. I have tried spray foaming areas that were adding to the problem, added extra ventilation, opened the coop windows during nice days! Nothing helps. I recently bought a couple cans of flex seal to spray the seams, but my brother says that because it's a metal roof it's not going to help.
I am tempted to spray flex seal on the whole inside of the roof then put up that foam insulation.
Does anyone else have a metal roof coop that can advise me what to do before the snow and frost hit again? The roof is literally dripping all over inside!! Thanks for any suggestions.
I will add pictures tomorrow.
View attachment 1968514 View attachment 1968515 View attachment 1968516 View attachment 1968517 View attachment 1968518
I was told this is really good stuff and you should use two coats.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191129-205719.png
    Screenshot_20191129-205719.png
    319.6 KB · Views: 7
I put a metal roof on mine but I knew how the moisture builds up on it because of sitting in a deer blind, one year, with a metal roof and getting wet from the moisture falling on me. So, I put down a thick OSB panel or plyboard, on the roof of my coop and then put down some black roofing paper over that, to keep the moisture from rotting the wood, over time. Then I put the sheet metal on. My suggestion is to remove the sheet metal and do it the way I did. Its the only permanent solution, in my book.

Hen on A June bug, yes it may cause corrosion, in about 4-5 years, if not longer but you just take the sheet metal off and put on some new. I get mine at Home Depot and its not as strong as the Metal Mart R panel but it does the job. And MyBackYard Peepers if I still had a moisture problem like that, after fixing the roof, I'd give a Humidifier a try, and see if it helps. Just saying. Of course, we very rarely get snow around the San Antonio, Tx area.

We have a metal roof. DH put vents high on one wall and low on the opposite wall to create a natural thermal updraft. We also have a roof deck under the metal, plus some insulation. But the moisture needs a place to go, and it will drip if there's not the right kind of or enough ventilation. If the roof is slanted you need your vents up as high as you can on the tallest wall. I wouldn't think you'd want to spray foam under the roof - the moist (warmer) air could escape nicely there IF it's higher than the rest of the roof. Keep us posted, and remember, dry air is better than warm air - these girls can stand a lot of cold - I am in northern WI and while my ladies complain bitterly about the white stuff they just go where they usually go and are just fine.

High humidity meeting low temperature causes condensation. Lowering humidity requires dry air replacing moister air. Merely increasing ventilation won’t solve it, or air conditioning would not work. You can dehumidify air, probably not practical, or keep moist air away from cold tin roof. Spray on insulating foam covering the metal room on the inside, covered with a vapor barrier, should dramatically reduce condensation. Increase ventilation if incoming air is lower humidity than internal air.

From vanlife living and having some experience with insulating a metal box from moisture building up inside the best insulation I’ve come across that I think would help significantly is a product called LizardSkin ceramic insulation. (Amazon) It’s a spray on product that requires an air compressor and special spray gun but bonds to the metal and prevents moisture, you’ll want to do it when the surface is clean and dry and you’ll want all animals removed from the space until completely dry. Also with ventilation you need an intake and exhaust vents for proper flow so vents at the top and bottom of a wall of the coop so there’s circulation of air flow and warm air doesn’t get trapped up near the roof.

Back
Top Bottom