Metronidazole 20% dosing

chickdiane10

Chirping
Dec 29, 2023
I was wondering if anyone knows individual dosing for this metronidazole? I have 20% so this is throwing me off. I need to dose one of my girls individually that's not drinking a lot.
1tsp equals a gram...I feel like I'm close to figuring it out but my brain isn't mathing tonight. I have a milligram scale and empty gelcaps to put meds in to dose by beak.

Attachments

• 17125280965874379118107803326688.jpg
    17125280965874379118107803326688.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 51
The problem with the 20% is that they don’t say how many milligrams of metronidazole are in each teaspoonful. I would just give it as it says to your one chicken that needs it. I will tag @casportpony if she has any advice. Recently metronidazole tablets have become unavailable due to FDA restrictions on antibiotics for animals. If your vet can prescribe it, and that might be difficult since it is not approved for poultry, you could get it from Chewy or other online prescription service.

If you have a small scale, weigh 1 teaspoon of powder and let me know what it weighs. One teaspoon of most powders weigh ~3 grams.

Your powder says it's 20% metronidazole, which means there are 200 mg in one gram. The bag also says the one teaspoon = 5 grams, but I'd bet money that it's closer to 3 grams.

Metronidazole is extremely bitter, so it does need to be given orally because most birds won't drink it.

I was gonna weigh it and stick it into a gelcap and give by mouth.
If you have a small scale, weigh 1 teaspoon of powder and let me know what it weighs. One teaspoon of most powders weigh ~3 grams.

Your powder says it's 20% metronidazole, which means there are 200 mg in one gram. The bag also says the one teaspoon = 5 grams, but I'd bet money that it's closer to 3 grams.

Metronidazole is extremely bitter, so it does need to be given orally because most birds won't drink it.
I plan to weigh it and stick it into a empty gel cap and dose by beak.

We have blackhead, flagellates found by vet. We were trying to just treat the severe coccidia, and I'm thinking we may have ventured into necrotic enteritis. So we are in chaos mode. I'm ok to toss her eggs for a while if needed.

Looks like the teaspoon is subjected to how full it is.
I'm just unsure on the proper measurements for a single dose due to it being 20%, not 100%.

A friend said this;

"So...that dosage is written for small birds kept in small cages.

So take that teaspoon or 5 grams, dissolve in 20 ml of hot water. Let it cool and each ml will be 50mg. So...it's 50mg per kg.

Adjust dosage from there."

Attachments

• 20240407_222126.jpg
    20240407_222126.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 2

So if I weigh the powder, 25mg of powder would be a 50mg of metronidazole?

I believe a heaping tsp would be 5 grams. My tsp was level at the rim. I set up my scale to zero out that paper, so it's a true weight. Level tsp 4.28 grams.

Attachments

• 20240407_222126.jpg
    20240407_222126.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 2
How much does your hen weigh? That one amount of powder there has 856 mg of metronidazole.

Let us know how much the hen weighs and I will tell you how much powder to use.

How much does your hen weigh? That one amount of powder there has 856 mg of metronidazole.

Let us know how much the hen weighs and I will tell you how much powder to use.
I forgot to ask, would the medicine be harmful as a powder in the crop?
She didn't want to eat/drink much today. I'm going to try and entice her with other things tomorrow. I tried tuna, eggs, and grapes today. She only nibbled the grapes. Read that albon can reduce appetite 🥺

Back
Top Bottom