Metronidazole 20% dosing

At that weight I would give her 120 mg, which is 0.6 grams of powder.
I forgot to ask, would the medicine be harmful as a powder in the crop?
She didn't want to eat/drink much today. I'm going to try and entice her with other things tomorrow. I tried tuna, eggs, and grapes today. She only nibbled the grapes. Read that albon can reduce appetite 🥺
It should not affect her appetite.

If she's not eating and drinking like she usually does, you need to start weighing her daily and you should think about tubing fluids and food. Would you like to learn how to tube feed?

If she's not eating and drinking like she usually does, you need to start weighing her daily and you should think about tubing fluids and food. Would you like to learn how to tube feed?
She is eating today, prob not as much but better than yesterday. I can torpedo feed her if need be. Im going to check her crop later and will fill her up if she needs it

I wonder why so many differing dosages on this. I regret not looking harder and getting fish-zole to make it easier.
Screenshot_20240408_165003_Gallery.jpg

I wonder why so many differing dosages on this. I regret not looking harder and getting fish-zole to make it easier.
Screenshot_20240408_165003_Gallery.jpg
What are you wanting to treat for? If you want to treat for giardia, you can give that amount twice a day.

The math is:
5.25 pounds / 2.2 x 25 = 60 mg
60 / 200 = 0.3 grams twice a day

What are you wanting to treat for? If you want to treat for giardia, you can give that amount twice a day.

The math is:
5.25 pounds / 2.2 x 25 = 60 mg
60 / 200 = 0.3 grams twice a day
I didn't think of it that way. I wanted to treat the flagellates, which we think may be blackhead based on Bingos symptoms. I believe to truthfully know is a necrospy? So whatever is recommended for blackhead, I should dose that.

Long story. Vet approach was corid. I went ahead and did toltrazuril bc if it's bad we want it knocked out, not toned down. Bingo did awesome until 8th day later, back to puffed up. She's not laying, so no eggs to worry about tossing, but I'd toss eggs a month or two to have her back to health.

(I had removed all the bark from the run the weekend before the vet, sprayed the ground with synergize after they roosted, that dried overnight, then sprinkled the run in Saturday lime. I've cleaned up all the droppings daily since.)

So her being puffed up, not looking well, I started Amoxicillin in case of enteritis brought on by the bad coccidia. But I have no approached the treatment of the flagellates, this is where metronidazole comes in. Vet approach was she couldn't legally give a medication for blackhead in a "food" bird. Vet was hoping getting rid of coccidiosis would solve the illness.
Vet got back to me a week later and prescribed us Albon.

So currently doing Albon at 1ml per dayx5 days. Amoxicillin 125mg/kg 2x a day. Not sure how long to do that...but thinking 7 to 10?
Then here comes metronidazole. Maybe getting the flagellates out of the game will help her get back to health. We had a clean fecal for capillaria, which she had too. Poor Bingos intestines are prob a mess. I ordered bene-bac plus gel to get her probiotic/flora back up after all this. Metronidazole may even help battle necrotic enteritis.

I went ahead and fed her torpedos of 22% Protein chick feed this evening. I used a little bit of plain whole milk yogurt to shape them. Her crop wasn't completely empty but not really that full either. I did observe her eating a few different times today unlike yesterday, but for extra calories I got some feed in her. she was drinking water. I'm gonna give her some live mealworms I grow tonight with her meds so she has food with them too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408_004643_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408_004643_Drive.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 4
Bingo pooped this under the roost bars last night. I poked it with a disposable knife, it's firm.
Source of infection or intestinal tissue? God forbid, lash egg

Attachments

• 20240409_110152.jpg
    20240409_110152.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240409_110140.jpg
    20240409_110140.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom