Meyer Hatchery vs. McMurray Hatchery

I've been ordering Cornish Crosses from McMurray for the past year and always got really outstanding service and chicks, even after modifying my orders a couple of times. I also ordered some Naked Necks, Dark Cornish, and Brown Leghorns from McMurray last year and as usual received excellent chicks and service. I've never ordered birds from Meyer but I have ordered other things and always had a good experience. I like both personally. I always think of McMurray first though when I want hatchery bred birds just due to my past experiences with them.

I also have ordered from both Meyer and McMurray. I had excellent results from Meyer, although I can't comment on their customer service, as I never had any reason to call. McM on the other had was terrible. 23 out 36 chicks died over the first 4 days. I have never lost more than 1 or 2 chicks out of an order before. McM offered absolutely no help other than to say that chicks sometimes get jostled in shipment and a 3rd grade level blurb about the temperatures required for chicks. I am sure they send out good chicks, but I am convinced mine were infected with something when they arrived, which is why they died out steadily over several days. They seem to have some issues, so I won't buy from them again, and I would caution others as well.

I'm in the hatchery go-round again. It never fails, no single hatchery will have exactly the variety I'm looking for. I've actually never ordered from McMurray, because they never seem to have what I want available. Right now Meyer has Golden Marans and Welsummers, both things I want to order. They don't however have the ducklings I'm looking for.

I've also used Cackle several times, and had no issues, and Ideal once, with no problem. Still, I've heard a few (only a few) negative comments about Ideal. Right now Ideal have a Black and White Magpie duck that I'd really like to give a try. Just wondering if Ideal's Maran and Welsummer lines are good.

I also have ordered from both Meyer and McMurray. I had excellent results from Meyer, although I can't comment on their customer service, as I never had any reason to call. McM on the other had was terrible. 23 out 36 chicks died over the first 4 days. I have never lost more than 1 or 2 chicks out of an order before. McM offered absolutely no help other than to say that chicks sometimes get jostled in shipment and a 3rd grade level blurb about the temperatures required for chicks. I am sure they send out good chicks, but I am convinced mine were infected with something when they arrived, which is why they died out steadily over several days. They seem to have some issues, so I won't buy from them again, and I would caution others as well.

After further pursuit with McMurray, they were very gracious in working out a good deal for me. They were more generous even than they needed to be. I don't have any new chicks from them at this point, but I will say that although their initial response to my inquiry was not good, they followed up with what I would consider to be excellent customer service. I'm optimistic the next batch will turn out better, as I know they normally have good results based on other's reviews as well as their long time in business.

I've ordered from Meyers several times, once pretty large order, other only a dozen. The customer service was great. I called before and after I received them always treated me like they had all day to talk and I was a good friend. Getting ready to order again from them

I had three of my four Rhode Island Reds with Ovarian Cancer issues. They all filled up with fluid and had to have it drained, $65 a visit and at about 3 years old about one to two months apart, they started filling up with fluid. An Avian Vet told me it's nothing we did, it's genetic. Two died within 3 days of draining them. One lasted a month. I bought them from Murray McMurray. I wrote to them but never received an answer. Sometimes their breeding lines should discontinue when animals are constantly getting strange problems. I am down to 5 from my original flock of 16. Two Silver Tipped Wyandottes dropped dead at 8 months old. A Buff Rock died with sour crop we couldn't fix. Two, from dog attacks, my neighbors. Others, just dead in the coop, not egg bound, just dropped dead. My chickens free range during the day and put themselves up in a locked coop at night. My five remaining are still laying with a Buff Orpington Rooster, James. All healthy. Getting new chicks from My Pet Chicken. Don't know where their hatchery is. Lavender Orpingtons, Light Brahmas and Golden Buffs are the three breeds I am adding to my existing flock eventually.

Hi I ordered from McMurray in april a batch of 25 Pekins(different color varieties) initially the service was great the chicks came seemingly happy with 1 DOA and within the first week I lost every last chick half of them had strattle leg out the box and where either lethargic or had unabsorbed yoke sacs I called Mcmurray and they refused to do anything and I wont be ordering from them anytime soon

Thanks for all the comments about these two hatcheries - we've only ordered once from an online hatchery prior to to this year (CackleHatchery) and our experience was less than stellar IMO. If you have DOA's, you can't re-coup until your next purchase - and what if you don't trust them so you don't order again?

We usually buy locally to avoid the horrendous shipping charges that some are charging. But our latest experience with Tractor Supply has caused us to re-think that! (Bought 3 White Leghorns, two of which turned out to be CornishX, bought 8 Rhode Island Reds, and ended up with 3 full sized Comets, and 3 bantam Comets, and two Buff Chickens of some kind or another - neither of the two Buffs look the same ;) ! One of the 'Comets' turned out to be a Rooster of some variety, and since 'Comets/Cinnamon Queens/Red Star, etc.' are supposed to a sex-linked chicken (cockrels will be white - NOT red with black tail feathers) that didn't turn out so good either. Never again! They may lay brown eggs, and they may be red/brown in color but they're NOT RIR's!

This year we have ordered CornishX from Hoover (no DOA's) and good service ( but keep in mind, that they supply the chicks to Tractor Supply, so when you buy at T.S., don't expect to get what you ask for because the employees don't know which end of the chicken is up, down, front or back IMO (NOT Hoover's fault) - i.e we got stung by T.S. and they don't care!).

We have an order coming in the next day or so from Meyers for 16 Brahma's. I'd prefer Turkens (Transylvanian Naked Necks), but Meyers didn't offer them (AFAICS). We'll soon be able to comment on Meyer's chicks, shipping, communication, support etc., but the customer service at ordering time was fine ... not exemplary, mind you, (I think we had the same bored lady that is referred to in earlier posts), but good enough to have them shipped (hopefully ..... since they were supposed to be shipped today and we've seen no email so far, and it's just passed midnight on my clock).

BTW, I was planning to order from Strombergs, but after talking to a very knowledgeable young lady, I found that they are merely a clearing house for many other hatcheries - thus the reason they can't guarantee shipment of multiple varieties all at the same time - and who wants the chicks to arrive two - three weeks apart? NOT ME!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom