Meyers olive eggers?

thunderstruck9

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 2, 2013
Does anybody know if Meyers olive eggers have crests? In their description they mention legbars so I thought they might. I am not a fan of crested chickens so it would make a difference of whether or not I ordered any. Thanks for any info.

I think next year is the first year they are actually offering them. Looks like they are crossing Marans with Legbars and Ameraucana so if the chicks got the extra feathering could get either crested, feather legged birds, or feather legged, bearded/muffed birds. There are a couple of threads on BYC about Legbar crosses, depending on the parents, some seem to have a lot more crest than others if you want to look for pictures. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/719852/i-crossed-a-cream-legbar-with-a-and-this-is-what-i-got You could email/call Meyers and ask about it, they are usually pretty good about answering questions.

I saw them on their website but they are a bit pricey for me right now. It looks like they are mutts of unknown breeds Meyer is experimenting with to try to produce them.

If anyone has gotten any of these from Meyer and would be willing to post pictures, that would be awesome
big_smile.png
I'd love to see what they look like, and maybe what their temperament is. I keep debating whether to put on in my order or just add in another EE, which is cheaper anyway.

This is a couple months old, and my chicks are 5 weeks old now, but my friend and I ordered two OEs with 9 EEs. It's still confusing which ones are which, but at least one is a Legbar x Maran cross. This is the one my friend got. The second one... Well.. It's less distinguishable among the other 50 or so chicks from the order. They are pricey, but if they all looked like the one pictured, I'd buy another.

I also have two Olive Egger pullets I bought locally. They are pretty. They just look like Ameraucanas (beard and all), only Maran colors. If some one gets a Maran x Ameraucana cross, I would imagine they would look similar to mine... Of course colors would vary, but it seems like the look is pretty consistent. I went in on the buy with a friend and she has four that look similar as well.

I just got some yesterday..
I ordered 2 "Marans collection" 2 Olive eggers, and 7 asst rare breeds.
I know I have a golden cuckoo maran...
I have figured out 5 of the 7 the "rare breeds"

but.. the others.. not too sure of. I have a blue chick, a black chick and one that is mostly black with a bit of brown, and one chipmunk.
Time will tell..
I would love for my blue to be like the crested olive egger pictured above. :)

Sorry. I'm not good with uploading photos, but I can give you a description of my Meyer Hatchery olive egger, who at the time of this posting is a 29-week old pullet. She appears to be a cross between an ameraucana and marans.

Feathering: solid black with a prominent green sheen (similar in appearance to a black australorp's feathers); muffs and beard; very light feathering on the legs
Comb: pea comb
Eggs: medium olive in color; large in size (2.25 oz); very round in shape
Body Size: medium/large (similar in size to a black australorp)
Start of lay: age 26 weeks, 6 days
Rate of lay: 5 eggs/week
Temperament: very skittish as a pullet; became calmer around people when she started laying; can be loud at times

Last edited:
I purchased 2 Meyers Olive Eggers. I only have one left since I had to get rid of the other one because she was a bully. The one I have lays only modestly olive colored eggs. In fact I purchased Olive Eggers, Easter Eggers and Cream Legbars all from Meyers and they all lay the same colored pale green eggs. Very disappointed. And they all just stopped laying altogether this week!

Back
Top Bottom