Meyers olive eggers?

thunderstruck9

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 2, 2013
Does anybody know if Meyers olive eggers have crests? In their description they mention legbars so I thought they might. I am not a fan of crested chickens so it would make a difference of whether or not I ordered any. Thanks for any info.

Some have crests, some don't. The two I ordered from Meyer did not as they were EE/Marans crosses, but I have a friend that also has one from Meyer that is Legbar/Marans cross and does have a crest. My profile picture is my OE Nutmeg. She's all black, has been a wonderful mother hen and lays a super cute short and fat green egg. My second OE is blue and lays an olive, speckled egg. The pic really doesn't do it justice, her eggs are my favorite!

Mine came earlier this year from Meyers and neither one had a crest. (one is the black one tucked away and the other is the blue one who is also tucked away.... they hate the camera) Both had a bit of feathers on the legs but they grew out of them. The other two chicks pictured are my BLRW (brown) and Blue andaludian (blue with touch of white on chest, dark beak)

Here they are when they were about.... oh.... 8-10 weeks? The black chick stayed black and has a muff, clean legs, and a peacomb. The blue is about the same except she doesn't have a muff and she had a bit of barring on her shoulders.

Today one of them (most likely the black one) laid me this olive colored egg. I have a white and a mint colored egg there for comparison. I'm very pleased with the outcome considering I normally have terrible luck with hatcheries (aka Cackle) and although many of my chicks came with a bit of pasty butt, I was able to take care of it and it all cleared up.

I think next year is the first year they are actually offering them. Looks like they are crossing Marans with Legbars and Ameraucana so if the chicks got the extra feathering could get either crested, feather legged birds, or feather legged, bearded/muffed birds. There are a couple of threads on BYC about Legbar crosses, depending on the parents, some seem to have a lot more crest than others if you want to look for pictures. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/719852/i-crossed-a-cream-legbar-with-a-and-this-is-what-i-got You could email/call Meyers and ask about it, they are usually pretty good about answering questions.

I saw them on their website but they are a bit pricey for me right now. It looks like they are mutts of unknown breeds Meyer is experimenting with to try to produce them.

If anyone has gotten any of these from Meyer and would be willing to post pictures, that would be awesome
big_smile.png
I'd love to see what they look like, and maybe what their temperament is. I keep debating whether to put on in my order or just add in another EE, which is cheaper anyway.

This is a couple months old, and my chicks are 5 weeks old now, but my friend and I ordered two OEs with 9 EEs. It's still confusing which ones are which, but at least one is a Legbar x Maran cross. This is the one my friend got. The second one... Well.. It's less distinguishable among the other 50 or so chicks from the order. They are pricey, but if they all looked like the one pictured, I'd buy another.

I also have two Olive Egger pullets I bought locally. They are pretty. They just look like Ameraucanas (beard and all), only Maran colors. If some one gets a Maran x Ameraucana cross, I would imagine they would look similar to mine... Of course colors would vary, but it seems like the look is pretty consistent. I went in on the buy with a friend and she has four that look similar as well.

I just got some yesterday..
I ordered 2 "Marans collection" 2 Olive eggers, and 7 asst rare breeds.
I know I have a golden cuckoo maran...
I have figured out 5 of the 7 the "rare breeds"

but.. the others.. not too sure of. I have a blue chick, a black chick and one that is mostly black with a bit of brown, and one chipmunk.
Time will tell..
I would love for my blue to be like the crested olive egger pictured above. :)

Back
Top Bottom