Mice in chicken coop

I've had a mice problem too, which DH always blames on the chickens. But doesn't mention the construction going on all around us...:mad:
I tried the glue traps which worked until Obelisk pecked at the Captain Crunch which I used for bait, then stepped in the trap...so it was click, thud, click, thud, bikbikbik!
I now have a mouse Zapper which I only paid $20 for at WallyWorld. I also have a plethora of snap traps and so far I haven't caught a chicken yet either, thankfully. Peanut butter works really really well.

Yeh! I never use the poison in my coops or pens because I don't want my babies to eat it. I figure the mice make nice play toys for my chicks!

Eggchel, you mouse elimination list is so funny and true, I have tried almost every one. I hate those little bugger so much. About the time I feel comfortable that I have thing under control, I spy a mouse run by. I have found the Tin Cat to be good in the coop. It has to be moved around as they get wise but I have caught about as many in that as in the traps and I always worry about a checken gettin snapped. Victor does make a very nice trap that does not get set of by the usual open bait on a spring. It has a little compartment with a small opening for a mouse nose to nudge open. When the door to this compartment opens the trap is sprung. I have good sucess with this one as well but it only lasts for about a week then nothing. They get very wise to traps. Once I get 4 or 5 then I dont' catch any more for a while. I am sure it is not because I got them all.

I did but an electronic mouse trap at Wally World but I did not catch a thing. It was battery operated. It ran out of batteries and then I took it out. I may try it again. I may look into the Rat Zapper, $ 50 would be worth it if if works.

Last night I was out locking up my girls and I heard some scratching. I freaked because I thought it was a coon right next to me (and those buggers get mean when cornered). I shined the flashlight and it was a rat!
ep.gif

I guess I gotta get out the traps and start working at getting rid of the little bugger. We use to use bait / poison with great results, but with chickens I know I can't do that anymore.

I'm sure those pesky rats are in heaven with all the food tossed around for the chickens and their feeder just calling out to them at night.

Quote:
I'm not surprised. My girls killed a rat and started to EAT it...
th.gif

That's why 54 said not to use poison!

Wow who would thought a chicken would kill mice and rats? My friend has 2 barn cats to take care of the mice, rats, sparrows and etc. One is from barn cat stock, the other a former domestic that was abandoned. Unfortunately the domestic doesn't hunt and all and the barn cat does all the work. Well anyway the cats and chickens are best of friends. The rooster just treats them as they were members of his flock.

Never had this problem, because my girls also eat them (or at least kill them). I have only ever raised NHRs and Australorps, however, and the Australorps are the only ones who seem interested. Maybe certain breeds are better mousers!

Back
Top Bottom