Mice in chicken coop

I got the Tomcat Rat & Mouse Killer Child & Dog Resistance, Refillable Station. Can this be a problem if the chickens come into contact with the dead mice? I want to get the steel traps when I get the chance to order them but for now I have this. I'm afraid the chickens will get sick since it does say it is extremely toxic if they feed upon animals who have eaten this bait!? Will the chickens eat the dead mice?

We had a sudden onslaught of rodents.I was concerned about the fleas and mites mice and rats bring. I live next to a field. So I took a long narrow PVC pipe ,too narrow for any chickens,and put poison in the middle ,placed it next to the fence between it and the coop. Worked perfectly. No more rodents since then !

My coop is built on stilts... the lowest corner is 18 inches off the ground... I've had rats to jump that high a couple of times but at first hint of a rat I put a koro rodent trap under the coop with some Cheerios on it and a few around it... usually they're dead by morning. Wildlife Control Supplies has a good price and selection.... while you're buying get a "dog proof raccoon trap" or two. The bait for raccoons is little marshmallows. Make sure to stake down your trap so it won't go far.

Last edited:
Eggchel, what kind of chicken is on your profile picture?
I tried to send a private message but it didn't work. I hope you see this message.
I apologize to everyone else to get into this thread with this question.

Back
Top Bottom