Mice

I have been using live traps (the small rectangular cage things--hereafter "box trap") baited with bread. The mice here really go for that bread. Just plain bread! We've sometimes gotten them with a piece of corn on the cob, and even a tomato did the trick once...but the bread seems to have been the most reliable.

I use live traps because I can't deal with the gross factor of the traditional variety. But the rodents do not survive--they get euthanized in a matter of some seconds in a bucket of water (trap and all). No returnees! (And I don't have to touch them, just open the door of the trap and toss them out.)

I think peanut butter works well in the traditional trap because it is sticky and the rat has to put a little more pressure into trying to lap at it. With the box trap, most anything can work as long as the trigger is set sensitively and at the proper angle.

The box trap has its disadvantages. If left too long, rats can sometimes have enough time to chew their way out. Furthermore, rats learn. If other rats see the trapped one, they might be less likely to approach the trap themselves. So it is best to empty it promptly. One advantage, though, is that more than one can enter at a time. We have sometimes caught two at once.
you drown them? Wow. Why not just relocate? Even a traditional trap would be more humane than drowning them.

Anyway, there are cages you can get for rats, not boxes, and not plastic- metal bar cages. They're humane, they walk in, trap door closes, and then you just have to relocate and open. It generally works pretty well but some are more difficult to catch.

Even a traditional trap would be more humane than drowning them.
I beg to differ. I used to use those. I've seen many cases where the mouse ended up malpositioned in comparison to the "death bar." I've seen cases where only a limb was firmly trapped, and the mouse dragged the trap some distance. In _any_ case where the mouse survives the blow, it is likely to suffer far, far longer than the few seconds it takes them to drown. Who checks the trap at all hours of the night, much less all minutes? And it takes only a minute to drown.

I have occasionally released them. That's only when the rats are lucky enough to be trapped on a day when I'll be driving out of town through farmers' fields and don't mind the extra cargo in the vehicle. Anywhere here nearby, I'd risk the neighbor's ire if they should see me release the critter on their premises! I do have a heart, but, quite honestly, the health of my family and the sanitation of our kitchen is a higher priority than the life of a rodent. Humans are worth more than animals.

I beg to differ. I used to use those. I've seen many cases where the mouse ended up malpositioned in comparison to the "death bar." I've seen cases where only a limb was firmly trapped, and the mouse dragged the trap some distance. In _any_ case where the mouse survives the blow, it is likely to suffer far, far longer than the few seconds it takes them to drown. Who checks the trap at all hours of the night, much less all minutes? And it takes only a minute to drown.

I have occasionally released them. That's only when the rats are lucky enough to be trapped on a day when I'll be driving out of town through farmers' fields and don't mind the extra cargo in the vehicle. Anywhere here nearby, I'd risk the neighbor's ire if they should see me release the critter on their premises! I do have a heart, but, quite honestly, the health of my family and the sanitation of our kitchen is a higher priority than the life of a rodent. Humans are worth more than animals.
I'm not going to debate you on a lot of what you said, because it is pointless to do so and I dont want to be accused of changing the thread topic. But drowning takes more than a few seconds, and is certain suffering vs potentially fast and relatively painless. (exceptions aside). Drowning is *not* humane by any stretch of the imagination. If you're already going to the trouble of getting a humane trap, I do not see the issue here with simply relocating. There's choosing an animal over a human and then there's ensuring the health of the human and being humane to the animal. It isn't one or the other.
I opt for humane, live traps, because I know killing them is usually** needless, and I wouldnt want to inflict pain on any animal. Rather taking them a short drive away, to a fairly secluded area, is a far better option.

Relocating live rats a short drive away may seem more humane, but it would likely become someone else's problem. Having just experienced my first rat, I would not want to inflict that on anyone.

I love all animals, but there is a line and it starts with RATS! I have no issue killing them in any manner that works efficiently. They are smart enough to evade live traps, so humane options are not always feasible or effective. I use electric traps, bait boxes & snap traps currently, but would have no problem with drowning them in a roller bucket even if it took 5 minutes! Rats carry disease & parasites and are horribly destructive. If they can enter your coop, your home is next, and it only takes 2 rats to produce 1200+ in one year! I don't want them in my house, garage, coop or shed, and I wouldn't want a coop infestation to impact my neighbors homes. One rat seen by a neighbor would be the end of chickens for me, so humane or not, if they come on my property they die as fast as I can kill them and by whatever means necessary!

Relocating live rats a short drive away may seem more humane, but it would likely become someone else's problem. Having just experienced my first rat, I would not want to inflict that on anyone.

I love all animals, but there is a line and it starts with RATS! I have no issue killing them in any manner that works efficiently. They are smart enough to evade live traps, so humane options are not always feasible or effective. I use electric traps, bait boxes & snap traps currently, but would have no problem with drowning them in a roller bucket even if it took 5 minutes! Rats carry disease & parasites and are horribly destructive. If they can enter your coop, your home is next, and it only takes 2 rats to produce 1200+ in one year! I don't want them in my house, garage, coop or shed, and I wouldn't want a coop infestation to impact my neighbors homes. One rat seen by a neighbor would be the end of chickens for me, so humane or not, if they come on my property they die as fast as I can kill them and by whatever means necessary!
It isnt there fault that they're destructive, they're just following their instincts, and drowning them is cruel. And I never opposed kill traps, personally I stay clear for them in an effort to be more humane, but I literally said they would be better than drowning the poor things.

And this is why I said "secluded area". You don't dump them near to houses or farms, rather woodlands work well. And the subject here is mice, anyway, not rats. In my experience mice are easier to trap and relocate.

Last edited:
It isnt there fault that they're destructive, they're just following their instincts, and drowning them is cruel. And I never opposed kill traps, personally I stay clear for them in an effort to be more humane, but I literally said they would be better than drowning the poor things.

And this is why I said "secluded area". You don't dump them near to houses or farms, rather woodlands work well. And the subject here is mice, anyway, not rats. In my experience mice are easier to trap and relocate.
I guess it all comes down to how you want the mouse to die. Relocated animals often fall victim to predators or starvation. Is starving to death or being eaten alive by a weasel better than drowning? Maybe. I'm not sure.

There are pages in this site of people who had their chickens toes eaten off by mice. I've seen news stories of babies with major facial damage from mice chewing them after being attracted to milk on their mouths. So, while I would find intentional torture repulsive, mice do not strike me as worthy of too much 'humane' treatment as they do not respect treating other animals humanely. Dispatch these nuisance animals as you see fit.

Edit to add ... around here, mice are a major carrier of deer ticks that spread Lyme Disease. No way would I EVER consider live trapping/releasing them.

I guess it all comes down to how you want the mouse to die. Relocated animals often fall victim to predators or starvation. Is starving to death or being eaten alive by a weasel better than drowning? Maybe. I'm not sure.

There are pages in this site of people who had their chickens toes eaten off by mice. I've seen news stories of babies with major facial damage from mice chewing them after being attracted to milk on their mouths. So, while I would find intentional torture repulsive, mice do not strike me as worthy of too much 'humane' treatment as they do not respect treating other animals humanely. Dispatch these nuisance animals as you see fit.

Edit to add ... around here, mice are a major carrier of deer ticks that spread Lyme Disease. No way would I EVER consider live trapping/releasing them.
"worthy of much humane treatment" is exactly what Im taking issue with here. This isn't about what you think they do or dont deserve
They're just animals, it's about being humane. Many do die after relocation, and its a more natural death which would have likely occured anyway. its better than being drowned.
Either kill them humanely or release, don't cause unnecssary suffering on them while arguing as though they deserve it. Makes me sick. All animals deserve a humane end, sadly it isn't always possible, but should always be a priority.

You could try killing a mouse, cutting it open and leaving it for the chickens to discover. They may start killing them and eating them.

Don't look at me like that you lot. I've know quite a few mouse killing chickens:confused:
We need an ewwww face 😂

Either kill them humanely or release,
And how would you suggest to kill them humanely once live-trapped?

One reason I use the live traps is for the safety of other family members. A real rat trap can break fingers. But, I also do not see it your way in thinking those "normal" traps are more humane. I see it the other way around. Perhaps you haven't much experience with the various methods, but drowning is painless.

"worthy of much humane treatment" is exactly what Im taking issue with here. This isn't about what you think they do or dont deserve
They're just animals, it's about being humane. Many do die after relocation, and its a more natural death which would have likely occured anyway. its better than being drowned.
Either kill them humanely or release, don't cause unnecssary suffering on them while arguing as though they deserve it. Makes me sick. All animals deserve a humane end, sadly it isn't always possible, but should always be a priority.
"All animals deserve a humane end" Why do you believe that? Animals eat each other alive. What entitles them to some sort of human intervention to change that?

Back
Top Bottom