Michigan Poultry Show Ban!!!!

countrygirl345

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
Michigan
Due to the Avian Bird flu, all poultry shows, swap meets, and other poultry gatherings in Michigan were cancelled for the rest of the year yesterday. I was planning on showing poultry in our county fair through 4H, so this was a big disappointment to me. The ban will be active throughout the rest of 2015. Is anyone else experiencing this? What do ya’ll think about the ban? They haven’t even confirmed a case in MI, so this is purely precautuionary.

I'm not in Michigan, but I think the ban is ridiculous, too. They haven't had a single case of Avian Influenza! Iowa, Minnesota, and a few other states have cancelled shows, as well, but at least they had some reported cases. It seems really unfair to everyone who was planning on showing.

We just got our first chickens this year for my son to show at the county fair. We are in Ohio and as of today we have no cases of avian flu but all shows are banned here too. It is a huge disappointment. We have invested a lot of time and money. I understand the reason. Still sucks.

We had planned to get new chicks in july or aug. For next year's fair. Now we don't know what to do. Our fair is later this month.

I'm not in Michigan, but I think the ban is ridiculous, too. They haven't had a single case of Avian Influenza! Iowa, Minnesota, and a few other states have cancelled shows, as well, but at least they had some reported cases. It seems really unfair to everyone who was planning on showing.

It's all about PREVENTION. You believe it's ridiculous to attempt to prevent this disease from spreading? Perhaps the reason we haven't seen a reported case in Michigan is due to prevention. I, too, am disappointed. I have raised a good many birds for exhibition, and knowing I will be unable to show them just sickens me. But, if it means we will stop this disease from spreading, it is well worth it. JMO

We are in Ohio and sell many birds during the fall show season. Well that is not going to happen this year. We already listed many of our birds for sale at stupid low prices just to get rid of them. I wont make much if any money but I also wont be paying for 4 to 6 months of feed plus all the labor.

I don't think a lot a people understand the economic impact that this disease can inflict.

It is time to stop worrying about a few "pets" or "family members" and look at the over all picture. Some of you are ticked off because you can't "show" your chickens.......

Take a deep breath and think how upset you would be if they actually caught the flu and had to be destroyed. Put your show plans on a back burner and think of all of the farmers that are fighting to keep from losing their LIVELYHOOD because of the Avian Flu.

I agree. Prevention is important. To be honest, until Ohio announced the ban yesterday, I hadn't heard much about avian flu or how serious its gotten in other states. If I had lost a bird or 2, I probably would have disposed of them and not thought about a cause that reached farther than my own back yard.

Its possible that avian flu could be here and we don't know it yet. Most people who lose a bird or 2 don't jump to contact their local health dept. Or extension office. Its not until a farm with hundreds or thousands of birds is impacted that it would really be noticed.

That being said, we are disappointed. My son was really looking forward to showing. But if I inadvertantly allowed my birds to infect someone elses or theirs to infect mine it would be devastating.

Our county is planning other activities at the fair for poultry kids. Due to the close proximity to others with poultry and knowing the illness can spread by way of our shoes or dust... We will be designating specific shoes to wear at the fair and others for our coop. Also, changing clothes after the fair before tending our own birds. Perhaps I sound paranoid. To me though, an ounce of prevention truly is worth a pound of cure. Especially when there is no cure.

Just my 2 cents.

Wynette, yes! Ridiculous is a word I'd use! Along with "unconstitutional". Gubment has no authority to ban anything let alone private individuals who want to get together and show property to each other. And yes chickens are property in Michigan. If you don't want to subject your birds to increased risk of disease, then stay home.
Let me explain further... Remember when the U.S. wanted to ban alcohol? How'd they do it? They had to get an amendment to the constitution passed giving the authority to ban alcohol. Now days, alphabet agencies ban everything from the light bulb to chicken shows.
The worst part is the ever present string of people willing to excuse and apologize for an out of control gubment. If you've caught yourself saying "it's for a good cause", "I'm for prevention too", or "at least they have good intentions". - you know I'm talking to you.

Also Wynette, bantum21 never said prevention was ridiculous, she said the ban was ridiculous. There's a big difference. In a free country, we, the poultry owners, get to decide the appropriate level of prevention.

Last edited:
Also Wynette, bantum21 never said prevention was ridiculous, she said the ban was ridiculous. There's a big difference. In a free country, we, the poultry owners, get to decide the appropriate level of prevention.

I think you're getting a bit carried away. I said before, and I'll say again - it's your choice to go to Chickenstock. If you want to take the chance, go right ahead. I, myself, prefer to not take a chance, but if you do? It's just fine with me. Unfortunately, comparing prohibition to a virus carried by migratory water fowl that threatens to disease multitudes of domestic fowl is like comparing apples to..........killer whales.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom