Michigan Poultry Show Ban!!!!

countrygirl345

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
Michigan
Due to the Avian Bird flu, all poultry shows, swap meets, and other poultry gatherings in Michigan were cancelled for the rest of the year yesterday. I was planning on showing poultry in our county fair through 4H, so this was a big disappointment to me. The ban will be active throughout the rest of 2015. Is anyone else experiencing this? What do ya’ll think about the ban? They haven’t even confirmed a case in MI, so this is purely precautuionary.

I don't think a lot a people understand the economic impact that this disease can inflict.

It is time to stop worrying about a few "pets" or "family members" and look at the over all picture. Some of you are ticked off because you can't "show" your chickens.......

Take a deep breath and think how upset you would be if they actually caught the flu and had to be destroyed. Put your show plans on a back burner and think of all of the farmers that are fighting to keep from losing their LIVELYHOOD because of the Avian Flu.

I agree. Prevention is important. To be honest, until Ohio announced the ban yesterday, I hadn't heard much about avian flu or how serious its gotten in other states. If I had lost a bird or 2, I probably would have disposed of them and not thought about a cause that reached farther than my own back yard.

Its possible that avian flu could be here and we don't know it yet. Most people who lose a bird or 2 don't jump to contact their local health dept. Or extension office. Its not until a farm with hundreds or thousands of birds is impacted that it would really be noticed.

That being said, we are disappointed. My son was really looking forward to showing. But if I inadvertantly allowed my birds to infect someone elses or theirs to infect mine it would be devastating.

Our county is planning other activities at the fair for poultry kids. Due to the close proximity to others with poultry and knowing the illness can spread by way of our shoes or dust... We will be designating specific shoes to wear at the fair and others for our coop. Also, changing clothes after the fair before tending our own birds. Perhaps I sound paranoid. To me though, an ounce of prevention truly is worth a pound of cure. Especially when there is no cure.

Just my 2 cents.

Wynette, yes! Ridiculous is a word I'd use! Along with "unconstitutional". Gubment has no authority to ban anything let alone private individuals who want to get together and show property to each other. And yes chickens are property in Michigan. If you don't want to subject your birds to increased risk of disease, then stay home.
Let me explain further... Remember when the U.S. wanted to ban alcohol? How'd they do it? They had to get an amendment to the constitution passed giving the authority to ban alcohol. Now days, alphabet agencies ban everything from the light bulb to chicken shows.
The worst part is the ever present string of people willing to excuse and apologize for an out of control gubment. If you've caught yourself saying "it's for a good cause", "I'm for prevention too", or "at least they have good intentions". - you know I'm talking to you.

I've decided to come and give my humble 2 cents.

Yes, Avian Influenza is a terrible disease that could do serious damage to not only the commercial poultry industry but also to backyard flocks, etc. But, I don't believe that it is as serious a threat as some are making it, especially not to the small barnyard flock owners or exhibitors.

Avian Influenza's main carrier is migratory waterfowl (ducks, geese, etc.). Most states in the Midwest, in particular, are along what is known as the Missippi Flyway. This is a migratory path that birds take in the spring and in the fall. The spring migration has now ended. Birds are where they'll be for the rest of the summer at least until fall/winter. Therefore, IMO, Avian Influenza is no longer being spread mainly by those migratory birds. If you read the news articles about AI, you'll find that it actually hasn't spread into any different states. Most of the outbreaks are confined to Iowa and Minnesota. Wisconsin had some outbreaks in April, but hasn't seen a single Avian Influenza case since the first few days of May. In fact, some of the infected areas are no longer under quarantine. Many of the states that have been canceling (Michigan, Ohio, South Dakota, etc) haven't even see an Avian Influenza case. Truly, for now, the outbreaks are confined to Minnesota and Iowa.

By reading the news articles, I've come to the opinion that most of the continued outbreaks are being caused by poor biosecurity on the commercial poultry industry's part. Several of the infected farms in Iowa are owned by the same company. I remember reading an article by a reporter who discovered that commercial poultry houses from that Iowa company were being very lax (allowing vehicles to drive through without being disinfected, etc.) If those large commercial houses practiced stricter biosecurity, they could very well limit the spread of Avian Influenza more successfully.

We must realize that the commercial birds in those large factory houses have, in some ways, a much greater chance of succumbing to the disease. They already have weakened immune systems from overcrowding, etc. Our backyard or exhibition flocks tend to be more robust. Most of them have access to the outside and routinely come in contact with new pathogens. If they did happen to come across an infected bird, the chickens might not even contract the disease.

Quite simply, exhibition poultry are not the main problem. Most poultry shows are under 1,000 birds and occur perhaps once a year. People do not bring in obviously sick birds with foaming eyes or sneezing. If a person took a bird like that to a poultry show, the show superintendant would immediately remove it from the showroom. Most exhibitors take excellent care of their birds and won't even bring a bird that could be sick.

It is wrong to believe that your birds have any greater chance of getting Avian Influenza than any other disease at shows. Any time you take a bird to a show, you risk disease. Mareks Disease, Infectious Laryngotrachetis, Mycolplasma, you name it. All of those are found at poultry shows. If you don't want to risk your birds, don't go to a show. But, don't criticize others for not reacting in the same way or for not panicing over a "serious" threat.

IMO, the Avian Influenza threat isn't a significant threat to the exhibition poultry industry. If the commercial companies employ adequate biosecurity measures, they should be able to eliminate any further spread (with the exception of wild bird transmission in waterfowl, etc.) Canceling poultry shows is not the answer. I can understand canceling swaps, but not shows.

I believe that the main reason the government is canceling poultry exhibitions is to shift the blame from the commercial poultry industry. I also think that the government is canceling shows so that the the people won't think that the states aren't doing anything. But, the real fault is not in the exhibition poultry; rather, they are a scapegoat.

Just my opinion. I could probably ramble on even more. I'm not saying that my opinion is correct or that it is the only opinion. I simply believe that the facts don't show that canceling all poultry shows (in states that haven't had any outbreaks, no less!) is the answer to the Avian Influenza outbreak.

Oh, and I don't expect many to believe me. Don't take any offense, however. I'm not trying to start an argument.

Last edited:
When it comes down to it, though? I really don't much care. ...

Well, as the show secretary of the largest poultry show in Wisconsin, I am keenly aware of the issues surrounding this challenge. And, I do care. I hope you do not think I was "pounding" my point home for making 1 post in the last 6 months.

Oh, and we are meeting with the state vet later in June, as we decide whether to voluntarily cancel our show. So, at least here in Wisconsin, we are doing the work necessary to not only understand the problem, but also to point out that some of the early conclusions are not supported by fact.

Steve

I'm not in Michigan, but I think the ban is ridiculous, too. They haven't had a single case of Avian Influenza! Iowa, Minnesota, and a few other states have cancelled shows, as well, but at least they had some reported cases. It seems really unfair to everyone who was planning on showing.

We just got our first chickens this year for my son to show at the county fair. We are in Ohio and as of today we have no cases of avian flu but all shows are banned here too. It is a huge disappointment. We have invested a lot of time and money. I understand the reason. Still sucks.

We had planned to get new chicks in july or aug. For next year's fair. Now we don't know what to do. Our fair is later this month.

I'm not in Michigan, but I think the ban is ridiculous, too. They haven't had a single case of Avian Influenza! Iowa, Minnesota, and a few other states have cancelled shows, as well, but at least they had some reported cases. It seems really unfair to everyone who was planning on showing.

It's all about PREVENTION. You believe it's ridiculous to attempt to prevent this disease from spreading? Perhaps the reason we haven't seen a reported case in Michigan is due to prevention. I, too, am disappointed. I have raised a good many birds for exhibition, and knowing I will be unable to show them just sickens me. But, if it means we will stop this disease from spreading, it is well worth it. JMO

We are in Ohio and sell many birds during the fall show season. Well that is not going to happen this year. We already listed many of our birds for sale at stupid low prices just to get rid of them. I wont make much if any money but I also wont be paying for 4 to 6 months of feed plus all the labor.

Back
Top Bottom