Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

barnie.gif
I'm SO SICK OF THIS COLD and the frozen eggs that it makes! Don't get me wrong. I don't hate winter. I just *prefer* it to be in the 20s instead of the 5s. Had to throw away a lovely olive egg yesterday (and if these are PULLET eggs, I can't WAIT to see what size egg she is laying come summer) and 2 brown eggs today.
I just eat the cracked frozen eggs right away they scramble up just fine.

barnie.gif
I'm SO SICK OF THIS COLD and the frozen eggs that it makes! Don't get me wrong. I don't hate winter. I just *prefer* it to be in the 20s instead of the 5s. Had to throw away a lovely olive egg yesterday (and if these are PULLET eggs, I can't WAIT to see what size egg she is laying come summer) and 2 brown eggs today.
I haven't had many frozen for I try get out to the coop a few extra times when it's this cold. I am disappointed in the drop in production. We go through a lot of eggs quite regularly and I thought I was gonna have to buy some the other day for the baking I wanted to do.

raz, are there going to be any more public comment opportunities??? Crap i hope i didn't miss the only one
:(
They closed the public comments at 5:00 pm yesterday. They only allowed about 8-10 days notice and failed to provide the proposed changes for a few days.

However, the Ag Commissioner meeting is
Wed., Feb. 12, 2014
9:00 a.m.
Constitution Hall, ConCon Room
525 W. Allegan, Lansing

The meeting is open to the public and you have an opportunity to speak there. Just note that you are limited to a mere three (3) minutes. And you can send e-mails directly to the commissioners. Here are the contacts: http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-1572_2878-8251--,00.html

I'm "getting" to try the manna pro omega egg booster stuff by default;
i was one second too late to get the last bag of oyster shell. LOL. I've been eying this stuff, much good stuff in there. Needed oyster shell badly. My girls aren't laying thin shells but they've been on regular non-layer feed for 2 months now, no good! (roo, and baby in there, breeding roos aren't supposed to be fed layer feed)
I thought they wouldn't be laying regular in the winter but my ee's are a heavy laying strain i guess.

Cayenne, and a non harmful form of aspiriligosis (sp?) are in there to start; cayenne is for worm resistance and might help in the cold temps, has vitamin c (heat and disease resistance); the aspiriligosis is for resistance to the harmful kind i think? (one type of pneumonia is caused by this, and it's what's found in the harmful form in tainted feed that's gone bad) The nutrients are very easy to digest if my past manna pro experience stays true. I wish they'd just come out with the 50# feed pellets!!!

They also got some fresh spinach greens, they were very happy and giggly today. I thought they'd appreciate it after such a bitter night. :)

That's bs. They JUST released the new gaamp changes a couple weeks ago!!!! I'll do what i can to make it to that one :(

I had high hopes of last year's campaining and thought the new changes would be better; they just got sneakier. :(

Last edited:
Yeah, I got a reply:

Thank you for recently submitting your suggestion to Governor Rick Snyder using our online office on 1/22/2014 9:58 PM. As a member of Governor Rick Snyder's staff, please accept this response on his behalf.

Governor Snyder believes that our state government has to be innovative and efficient in order to deliver the services citizens deserve with the revenue it has available. We are in the process of implementing billions in structural reforms, bringing innovation to government and delivering a new level of transparency and accountability in Michigan. Individuals and organizations are working together in unprecedented ways to reinvent our government with a common goal in mind: Providing world-class service that supports, drives and enables prosperity for Michigan's residents.

Your ideas and suggestions are critical as we continue this process. We'll keep your correspondence close at hand as the conversation continues and continue to update you regarding our progress. We also post regular updates at our website and on Governor Snyder's blog at the web address of http://www.michigan.gov/snyder.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to correspond with us. Please let me know if there is anything we can be doing for you.

Sincerely,

John Byrd II
Constituent Relations Division
Executive Office of the Governor, Rick Snyder
O: 517-335-7858

---
For your records, here's a copy of the inquiry you submitted:

Governor Synder: I have copied below a letter I emailed to the GAAMPS committee. I want to ask you to reconsider your appointees to this committee. They have shown, through their disrespect, unheralded, and unattended "meetings", and general attitude towards anyone other than large industrial farmers that they are not qualified to be on this commission. I would ask that since the current commissioners are evidently too busy to attend their meetings, that they be replaced with people who aren't. They are currently trying to make changes to the GAAMP rules that would remove their protection for nearly all of the small time gardeners, hatcheries, and neighborhoods that have been enjoying fresh organic eggs,meat, and vegetables, as well as the sense of community this engenders.
letter below:
I am writing to protest the proposed changes to GAAMP, specifically, the ones that attempt to exclude families from having chickens, rabbits, or other animals depending on the arbitrary zone that they live in. Most townships have already laws on the books pertaining to excessive smell, attracting varmits, excessive noise, and other "cons" that are sometimes attributed to animal ownership. This leaves no viable reason to prohibit or allow most animal ownership to be prohibited.
It has been established that growing your own food, eggs, ect. contributes to the sense of community and well being in urban neighborhoods and GAAMP has decided to ignore that?
I also wanted to state my displeasure with the disrespect shown to the community by the current GAAMP commissioners. If they are too busy to attend, they should resign and make room for people that are truly dedicated to continuing the farming tradition in Michigan.
Thank you for your time.

Back
Top Bottom