Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I am so suburban I have no idea what any of that means. LOL. "Co-op" I am not familiar with. Ammonia I knew only as a cleaning agent and cat excrement, idk why anyone would "drill" it into a field. I don't understand the phrase "Drilling into field." Tractor with Them, ok, mobile chicken containing structure, got it. Studying the next sentence, hmmm, type of hitch for "quad," I'm thinking 4x4 utility type vehicle to move chicken tractor...how'd I do?
Ammonia Nitrite - its used as a fertilizer, so it looks like they'll be planting corn in our field.
Yes, I keep my big girls in a tractor so I can move it around the yard. I can move it all by myself, but its heavy enough that to move it that far it was easier to use the quad, a four wheeler to slide it along. Just have to go slow enough that the girls keep moving inside of it and don't get run over by that back wall.
And clevis is a rounded loop used to to attach chains, straps and ropes for towing.

Last edited:
Ammonia Nitrite - its used as a fertilizer, so it looks like they'll be planting corn in our field.
Yes, I keep my big girls in a tractor so I can move it around the yard. I can move it all by myself, but its heavy enough that to move it that far it was easier to use the quad, a four wheeler to slide it along. Just have to go slow enough that the girls keep moving inside of it and don't get run over by that back wall.
And clevis is a rounded loop used to to attach chains, straps and ropes for towing.
So they lease your field? And do as they please? Or is it an adjoining field? Someone came here to see my goat kids and baby bunnies. They mentioned that I should consider a sprinkler system and maybe weed/feed for the "yard". LOL! I told them I fertilize - it's called goat poop and bedding, or chicken poop and bedding, or rabbit poop and bedding, and if I get real wound up I spread horse poop and bedding. Oh and yeah It gets watered by this company called Mother Nature.

Thank you.
caf.gif

One of my girls was attacked by a dog yesterday. I have put red-kote on her wounds but was wondering if I should put her on an antibiotic, and if so which one? Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh no, I sure hope it wasn't Happy Feet! Just getting around to reading the thread, been so busy!

So they lease your field? And do as they please? Or is it an adjoining field? Someone came here to see my goat kids and baby bunnies. They mentioned that I should consider a sprinkler system and maybe weed/feed for the "yard". LOL! I told them I fertilize - it's called goat poop and bedding, or chicken poop and bedding, or rabbit poop and bedding, and if I get real wound up I spread horse poop and bedding. Oh and yeah It gets watered by this company called Mother Nature.
goodpost.gif

Yes. I knew townline was one of their sources. Just curious if it was true and which one it was since we are going to have to order meat chicks in a few weeks.

I know that last year, one of Town Line's 30 flocks had MG. They worked with MI State and got it taken care of. I had not heard about this Salmonella thing. I went to their site about 12 days ago and instead of hours it said "closed now" I think Privett said the same thing. They are probably on lock down working it out.
TSC in Imlay city still has chicks and ducks. The other day, they had welsummers, Isa's, black Australorps, bantams that looked mostly like oeg's and silkies. Idk what the ducks were, they were yellow.

Last edited:
One of my girls was attacked by a dog yesterday. I have put red-kote on her wounds but was wondering if I should put her on an antibiotic, and if so which one? Any advice would be appreciated.

Your hen is separated right now? I would not put on any kind of "Kote" right now. Irrigate her wounds with betadine/water mix. Pack wounds with triple antibiotic w/o "cain" Give her polyvisol (6 drops per qt) Trim feathers in/around wounds (except wing feathers). If she is in the flock and you cannot separate her, still irrigate but then coat her with alushield and put on a hen saddle or a baby t-shirt to keep wounds clean and hidden from flock mates' eyes and beaks. When wounds are scabbed over, let her debride them, she'll know when to do it, and then apply blu-kote. (red-kote will entice the birds to go after her).
smile.png

Check out my "fox attack" wounds/healing in my sig below.

Last edited:
My radishes are sprouting! And my cukes and zukes are sprouting! What a nice thing to see on an otherwise trying day. I'm working on getting dh to build me a conduit tomato trellis (can't do a permanent one because they get planted where we have to push snow in the winter) to try out this year. I need to sit down and work out what I'm planting where because the number of milk jugs and yogurt containers is growing every day.....and that doesn't include the stuff that will be direct seeded! I'm really hoping for a good growing season this year.....not the disappointment that was last year.

they lease the field. Yeah, it gets plenty of horse manure on the field. And lately I've been going through the field lately collecting small stones and pebbles in a cart to fill in holes in my driveway.

Back
Top Bottom