Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Tap, I have had many shipped eggs, with both successes and failures. My conclusion is that given fresh, well-packed eggs from fertile birds, the biggest factor in failure is likely how they were handled during shipping. The more sorting they go through the harder the equipment is on the eggs. Packages go through a lot of automatic sorting and handling. I find that even when the eggs start they often quit, leading me to believe that the fertilized eggs are affected in some way, causing failure to develop normally.

Well, I just got brave here tonight and put the 10 week old chicks in with the big girls tonight. And tossed in enough goodies and whatnot to keep them all happy in the morning as well.
looks like everybody made it through the night alright, and they're only mildly cowering in a corner right now.
big_smile.png

Good luck Amy

That is the right lime for whitewash - aka hydrated, builders, slake, or Masons lime. It is caustic in its powder form, but once painted on the walls is safe.

The wrong kind is called ag, garden or barn lime, which are added to soil or sprinkled on barn floors (don't use hydrated lime for this)

This bag says "Dolomitic Hydrated Agricultural Lime" which is why it's confusing, lol. It does have the warning about "don't breathe this" and that it's caustic and can be damaging to skin. Sounds like good stuff :p

I just thought I'd update everyone on the duckling I mentioned last week.

He was dropped off to me about a week ago. The initial pictures made him look very duckling-y. Then, I got him here and:

That's no duckling, that's a Canada Gosling.

Anyway, I got in contact with a wildlife rescue and finally dropped him off today. I'm a bit sad to see him go, but legality issues abound, I'm not trying to have any problems.

I'm considering getting some ducklings now though, FFH has some coming in this week.

Got my ladies in the Coop today now that we're done painting it. They're ****** at me I think but they'll hopefully get over it :p.

I figured I would leave them in there the next few days before opening them back up. One because it's suppose to be a little chilly, two so they can get used to being in there and start to recognize it as home, instead of the garage.

We're at 12 weeks today I think for the first set, and 10 weeks for the easter eggers.

Got my ladies in the Coop today now that we're done painting it. They're ****** at me I think but they'll hopefully get over it :p.

I figured I would leave them in there the next few days before opening them back up. One because it's suppose to be a little chilly, two so they can get used to being in there and start to recognize it as home, instead of the garage.

We're at 12 weeks today I think for the first set, and 10 weeks for the easter eggers.
It's getting real cold up here in the Soo now.

Back
Top Bottom