Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Now that's what you call a "blivit".
That picture was after he took all the supporting straps off
idunno.gif
I hope!

Most chicks are fully feathered and no longer need heat after 6 weeks of age. If you try to take the heat away too soon and the temps drop, you can risk them piling up for warmth and smothered chicks. It does no harm to provide a warm area for chicks to lounge in until they are a little older.

We caved in and procured a dozen Ancona duck eggs....they are in the incubator right now.

I have people wanting duck eggs so just had to get ducks for that
cool.png

My Magpie ducks provide oodles of duck eggs for people who want to purchase them for eating. I have seven girls, and they each give me an egg a day. Sometimes we have to come up with creative ways to use all the eggs if they're not selling quick enough!

My Magpie ducks provide oodles of duck eggs for people who want to purchase them for eating. I have seven girls, and they each give me an egg a day. Sometimes we have to come up with creative ways to use all the eggs if they're not selling quick enough!
I almost got the Khaki Campbells due to the egg production, but read that the Ancona also are good meat birds. They are noted to be less greasy than the common meat duck Pekin. If that is true, then when we have too many boys out of this hatch we can process them.

I also read that using duck eggs in baked goods make them much fluffier, so that will be interesting. Duck eggs have much more white, stay fresh longer, and have more Omega 3. I hope I like them to eat! :) if not, I have people wanting them thank goodness.

For anyone who is curious, getting better control over my feed for my ducklings has helped my one duckie who was going bow legged. He's straightened back up and is looking good.

I almost got the Khaki Campbells due to the egg production, but read that the Ancona also are good meat birds. They are noted to be less greasy than the common meat duck Pekin. If that is true, then when we have too many boys out of this hatch we can process them.

I also read that using duck eggs in baked goods make them much fluffier, so that will be interesting. Duck eggs have much more white, stay fresh longer, and have more Omega 3. I hope I like them to eat! :) if not, I have people wanting them thank goodness.
I eat ducks eggs, only duck eggs. My wife eats chickens eggs, sells them, and gives them to the kids. Duck eggs rule!

I eat ducks eggs, only duck eggs. My wife eats chickens eggs, sells them, and gives them to the kids. Duck eggs rule!
@Candy442 I also eat duck eggs, though not as much now as I used to. They are a little different than chicken eggs, but still very good.

They really do have a significant impact on baked goods. Even a silly boxed cake mix can benefit from some duck egg action we found out :).

Most chicks are fully feathered and no longer need heat after 6 weeks of age. If you try to take the heat away too soon and the temps drop, you can risk them piling up for warmth and smothered chicks. It does no harm to provide a warm area for chicks to lounge in until they are a little older.
I took the 6 wo chicks out of the brooder to clean it yesterday. They were exploring the coop and the big hens didn't bother them so I let them stay out. Checked on them often and decided to let them stay out of the brooder. There is a properly secured heat lamp if they need or want it.
Today they were out in the yard along with the big girls. They also went back to the coop all on their own. They don't seem to need the heat lamp but I'll leave it there for a few more days.

I think the duck eggs make baked goods so much richer (due to the big yolks!), that is for sure. I haven't done too much baking recently though, aside from cookies for work.

I recently found a recipe called Featherlight Sponge Cake (recipe came from a book called A Little Book of Scottish Baking) where duck eggs are specifically recommended in the recipe. I'll likely make it soon. Caster sugar is a type of sugar that is more finely ground than normal granulated sugar. It can be made by putting small amounts of granulated sugar in a food processor. Icing sugar is powdered sugar.

Back
Top Bottom