Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Just curious what the best way is to tell whether I have a rooster..I have orpingtons, isa browns and ameracaunas, all are about 5-6weeks old...thanks

Just curious what the best way is to tell whether I have a rooster..I have orpingtons, isa browns and ameracaunas, all are about 5-6weeks old...thanks
You're just going to have to ask them nicely to pull their pants down so that you can check em for boy parts or girl parts.
wink.png

Wattle growth and color, comb color too, at 5-6 weeks is pretty obvious in some breeds.
Ameraucanas(or most likely Eater Eggers) with pea combs, can sometimes be differentiated by a single row of peas(pullets) or a triple rows of peas(cockerels).
Otherwise wait until 4 months or so for hackle and saddle feathers to develop.....or for the cockerels to crow.

I think the duck eggs make baked goods so much richer (due to the big yolks!), that is for sure. I haven't done too much baking recently though, aside from cookies for work.

I recently found a recipe called Featherlight Sponge Cake (recipe came from a book called A Little Book of Scottish Baking) where duck eggs are specifically recommended in the recipe. I'll likely make it soon. Caster sugar is a type of sugar that is more finely ground than normal granulated sugar. It can be made by putting small amounts of granulated sugar in a food processor. Icing sugar is powdered sugar.

this recipe definitely looks like a great way to use extra duck eggs! Thanks
love.gif

Had the little buffs out in the grass and sunshine today for the first time. They loved it. Then Amy dragged me in to clean my room. I swear that girl is going to like civilize me or something.
tongue.png

Chicks and ducks are outside as of this afternoon. Now to not worry about them getting too cold tonight. *sigh*

Those ducks need trained to go inside at night. Ugh.

My ~2wo chicks had their first day outside today too...so nice to finally have the weather break warm again.
Had to carry them all out, then having to catch 16 chicks to put hem back inside was not so nice tho...shm.
Today I just open the pop door if they make it out, fine...
.....hopefully they learn the ramp fast so I can start integrating them with the main flock after getting chick wire in the main run next week.

Back
Top Bottom