Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Smallest egg I've ever gotten (14 grams) is this what they call a fart egg?

that is one small egg.. not even sure if that qualifies as a fart egg.. is that from a new layer.
There is a long story behind this, but DH has gotten back his goat that a friend (who he originally got the goat from) Had put back with the other 2 goats for the winter. (We cared for last year due to their house burning down) Sadly, the other 2 are dead. Possible animan attacks, possible starvation. :(

I am reposting this as many of you on here have goats as well, and I only know birds/ cats/ dogs. This is a horribly sad thing, and DH really loves that goat. It is emaciated to unrecognizable. If anyone has ever dealt with a sheep/ goat and knows how to nurse one, please please help me .

Hooves are overgrown and he is walking like he's foundering; DH knows how to trim and even I could hold him at this point.

Too weak to worm. For the last few weeks (or more for all we know) he's been getting raked up dead leaves and sticks to eat. Every knob on his bones are jutting out. Hair is dull, eyes sunk in. It was evening when DH carried him home, so tomorrow i wil look under his eyes to see if he's anemic. :( DH is furious, he has been asking about the goat every other week and has offered more than once to buy feed if they needed $$.

Any suggestions for the best thing to start with? I had to give him a bucket of scratch, it was all i had and the feed store was already closed. I hope he don't die of bloat now, but if he did at least the poor thing would die happy in his home with a full tummy.
that is so sad how can anyone do that... go online and look up how nurse a emeciated goat back to health.. and i am sure youll find all kinda of good diets..

i planted some seeds in my worm bin last tuesday and today dd and i checked and the seeds sprouted.. i have kale and cabbage sprouts. i planted some in the layered row in my garden, some in empty yogurt cups, and some in the planters in front.. will see what way works better.. i have so many sprouts i can afford to lose some if they dont grow.
hopeing to have some cabbage and kale to feed my girls thru the summer and fall..

last fall i feed them collards and broccoli leafs thru november and until hard winter set in..

No Naglady, all my hens are 13 months old. Sure got a laugh out of it when the kids brought it in today.
lau.gif

Ok, mutts helped me out.

Tiny portions of good hay. Little bit at a time, a handful of goat pellets each day until he's stronger and can eat more without getting sick. Little increases each day to build his strength. Can't overfeed or he could die of rot gut from the feed not being able to be processed yet.

I Feel so bad i gave him the corn, i thought about it after the fact....... It was just so shocking. I've seen neglect, just not any of OUR animals in this state. Dang goat didn't even like me, but no animal deserves this kind of cruelty. DH is just sick over it. If we had only known. He don't have a dog, this hooved guy was his pal.

Stuff like this is why i've been scared to have a chicken sitter, either; they can't talk and let you know what really happens when you aren't there. I've tried it before, but with checking in every day later after the sitter was done, and it never was done the way i asked so i gave up.

Last edited:
Wow, so sorry. That is awful about the goat. The poor thing. I can't imagine our goats being in such a state. I agree with the small amounts of hay to start. I've never had one that needed that extent of nursing though. It's a good thing you got him when you did. I read this to my DH we all feel the same. Good luck, we wish the best outcome.
.…….........................

So I brought DD to her 4H meeting today. I guess she's going to be doing meat chickens for the fair, and then for open possibly bunnies, chickens, and/or goats. We debated on meat turkeys... but decided against it.

So now DH will be making a meatie chicken tractor, unless someone has an extra laying around? LOL.

We'll be talking with the goat coordinator yet to decide if DD wants to do anything with those.

I got a reply about my hatching eggs. They're being mailed today. :) :)

Ok, mutts helped me out.

Tiny portions of good hay. Little bit at a time, a handful of goat pellets each day until he's stronger and can eat more without getting sick. Little increases each day to build his strength. Can't overfeed or he could die of rot gut from the feed not being able to be processed yet.

I Feel so bad i gave him the corn, i thought about it after the fact....... It was just so shocking. I've seen neglect, just not any of OUR animals in this state. Dang goat didn't even like me, but no animal deserves this kind of cruelty. DH is just sick over it. If we had only known. He don't have a dog, this hooved guy was his pal.

Stuff like this is why i've been scared to have a chicken sitter, either; they can't talk and let you know what really happens when you aren't there. I've tried it before, but with checking in every day later after the sitter was done, and it never was done the way i asked so i gave up.

wish I could help..... but I don't have enough experience. I would do hay, no grains.. just to get his gut going. does he have any poops yet? What are they like? Did you get a chance to check his gums or eyes? Hope he can pull through.

There is a long story behind this, but DH has gotten back his goat that a friend (who he originally got the goat from) Had put back with the other 2 goats for the winter. (We cared for last year due to their house burning down) Sadly, the other 2 are dead. Possible animan attacks, possible starvation. :(

I am reposting this as many of you on here have goats as well, and I only know birds/ cats/ dogs. This is a horribly sad thing, and DH really loves that goat. It is emaciated to unrecognizable. If anyone has ever dealt with a sheep/ goat and knows how to nurse one, please please help me .

Hooves are overgrown and he is walking like he's foundering; DH knows how to trim and even I could hold him at this point.

Too weak to worm. For the last few weeks (or more for all we know) he's been getting raked up dead leaves and sticks to eat. Every knob on his bones are jutting out. Hair is dull, eyes sunk in. It was evening when DH carried him home, so tomorrow i wil look under his eyes to see if he's anemic. :( DH is furious, he has been asking about the goat every other week and has offered more than once to buy feed if they needed $$.

Any suggestions for the best thing to start with? I had to give him a bucket of scratch, it was all i had and the feed store was already closed. I hope he don't die of bloat now, but if he did at least the poor thing would die happy in his home with a full tummy.

I'd be reporting this "friend" to the authorities for animal cruelty and neglect.

edited to add that I saw a bin at FFaH for Guinea keets, but nothing was in there. Do you think that means they were already sold out, or they are waiting for them to come in? Oh my gosh, if they have them while I'm in the store I'm not sure I will be able to resist.

Last edited:
Wow, so sorry. That is awful about the goat. The poor thing. I can't imagine our goats being in such a state. I agree with the small amounts of hay to start. I've never had one that needed that extent of nursing though. It's a good thing you got him when you did. I read this to my DH we all feel the same. Good luck, we wish the best outcome.
.…….........................

So I brought DD to her 4H meeting today. I guess she's going to be doing meat chickens for the fair, and then for open possibly bunnies, chickens, and/or goats. We debated on meat turkeys... but decided against it.

So now DH will be making a meatie chicken tractor, unless someone has an extra laying around? LOL.

We'll be talking with the goat coordinator yet to decide if DD wants to do anything with those.

I got a reply about my hatching eggs. They're being mailed today.
smile.png
smile.png
glad your getting your hatching eggs.. YaY!

Back
Top Bottom