Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Darn, I just broke another egg in my coat pocket.
th.gif
At least it wasn't a duck egg. Can anyone help me? I want to put up a high 3 sided shed this spring,I live in the thumb and all winter the winds have been coming from the S,SE,and N,or Ne mostly. So what side should be open? I've only paid attention this winter so I don't know if that is typical or not.

Darn, I just broke another egg in my coat pocket.
th.gif
At least it wasn't a duck egg. Can anyone help me? I want to put up a high 3 sided shed this spring,I live in the thumb and all winter the winds have been coming from the S,SE,and N,or Ne mostly. So what side should be open? I've only paid attention this winter so I don't know if that is typical or not.
lol I hate it when i break an egg in my pocket.
For horses the three sided sheds are usually set with the opening facing south west.
Hows the geese? Homer got me good about a week ago. He almost died. Bugger.

Found out today that I lost a mentor and friend yesterday... this has been a really hard day. He was my metalsmithing/sculpture art professor and we've been good friends through it all. He married my friend who I went through college and grad school with. My boss let me leave early from work today and I'll be going to the funeral Thursday. http://www.johnwittersheim.com/bio.html

I live south of Lansing and so not heat my coop, the girls are all fat and happy. It is important to insulate the coop and have adequate ventilation. Heating your coop can actually lead to health problems. I have USA browns,barred rock and buff orpingtons. They all have been fine through the last two winters.

Agreed - do not insulate; we actually have an open air coop policy as much as possible except for the winds.....keep it simple....just like the hens!

I agree with Nancy that you should not be stirring the shavings when using the deep litter method. When you stir the litter you increase the surface area allowing more ammonia to be released.

I installed dropping boards several years ago and every two weeks since I have removed 15 to 20 gallons of droppings that otherwise would have been on the floor. My dropping boards are 4'x4' made from RFP and 1x. While the Reinforced Fiberglass Panel is about $28 for a 4x8 sheet that fact that it is durable and waterproof make it the ideal material.

Toe loss due to frost bite is not an uncommon problem and it occurs most often when waterers are of sufficient size that allows a bird to step in the water. A wet toe will freeze very quickly once single digit temperature occur. While a missing toe might make the bird have an awkward gait it usually doesn't prevent much of a problem.

edited for spelling
Opa where can I get the RFP? Is is easy to cut? My problem is my big coop is a hexegon and the roosts are across one side of the hex so it's a strange shape plus the door I walk through is not very wide.

Kimmie

Found out today that I lost a mentor and friend yesterday... this has been a really hard day. He was my metalsmithing/sculpture art professor and we've been good friends through it all. He married my friend who I went through college and grad school with. My boss let me leave early from work today and I'll be going to the funeral Thursday. http://www.johnwittersheim.com/bio.html
So sorry for the loss of your good friend,
hugs.gif

I'm looking for Call duck hatching eggs ASAP, my daughter wants to hatch them out for a project at school and we have to set them by Thursday. Can anyone help?

lol I hate it when i break an egg in my pocket.
For horses the three sided sheds are usually set with the opening facing south west.
Hows the geese? Homer got me good about a week ago. He almost died. Bugger.

They are doing well. Mudd threatens every day and if I don't push him off he gets me. Brat. I've tried catching him and carrying him around but so far it hasn't helped. I really hope that by summer, when I dress with a lot less padding, he's over it. This morning he made the mistake of going after the turkey's buddy and the turkey chased him across the field. I hope he learned his lesson. But I haven't gotten the impression that he's very quick on the uptake. Thanks for the directional advice.

Back
Top Bottom