Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Thanks everyone :) someone said that insulation will attract mites. Not sure how true that maybe or what their weather conditions are, especially in the winter. What temp should the coop be at during the winter?

Thanks everyone
smile.png
someone said that insulation will attract mites. Not sure how true that maybe or what their weather conditions are, especially in the winter. What temp should the coop be at during the winter?

Insulation in walls can harbor rodents, nice protected space for them......
.....and I suppose insects too.

But any stud wall that's sheathed inside and out can do that,
one reason I didn't sheath in the inside of walls.

Last edited:
Our self-blue bantam cochin brothers are still here. I was hoping to sell them, but now I'd like to just give them to someone. Anyone interested in one or both? I'm in GR, but can travel an hour.

Thanks everyone
smile.png
someone said that insulation will attract mites. Not sure how true that maybe or what their weather conditions are, especially in the winter. What temp should the coop be at during the winter?
We have no insulation in our walls at all. We also have an all plastic storage shed converted to a coop not insulated and two flocks inside the metal pole barn with no insulation.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how many years hens lay for. I have 4 that I've had laying since October 2012. They have not been laying the past few weeks and I'm wondering if their laying cycle might be over. Thanks

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how many years hens lay for. I have 4 that I've had laying since October 2012. They have not been laying the past few weeks and I'm wondering if their laying cycle might be over. Thanks
I think the "general rule" is that production drops after about 2 years

Quote: High production hybrids breeds(sexlinks, leghorns, etc) can just darn near stop cold after a couple years.
All birds are individuals, so there's no set in stone number.....for anything.
Most breeds do slow down as they age, and your birds may be near to or already starting their fall molt.

My 6 year old hen is still laying, not as much but still going.

If I remember correctly all chickens will lay about the same number of eggs over their lifetime. Production breeds lay heavily and then drop to nothing. Other breeds, my Polish for example, are 5 years old and lay about the same as when they were young but have never been very consistent or laid everyday. People get production because they are more efficient. I don't care about the efficiency I want pretty!

The skunk is in the trap!:D And I have a broody Serema. And even better news for today, it's not raining!

Back
Top Bottom