Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Thanks! I know how to do it and have the pickling lime all ready to go. Thanks for the insight on how they are different from fresh eggs, my hubby also likes fried eggs but doesn't mind broken yolks. What size jars do you use? I'm having such a hard time justifying the price of a gallon canning jar. How long have yours lasted?
I started gathering them in September last year, and started using them in December. They ran out in March, I think.

I used a food grade plastic bucket. The lid just sat on top, didn't click down or seal. I used a pasta scoop to place them in and to lift them out.

@Dreamzchaser Kikiriki offspring, seven sons and five daughters.
IMG_2085.JPG

Thanks! I know how to do it and have the pickling lime all ready to go. Thanks for the insight on how they are different from fresh eggs, my hubby also likes fried eggs but doesn't mind broken yolks. What size jars do you use? I'm having such a hard time justifying the price of a gallon canning jar. How long have yours lasted?

I started gathering them in September last year, and started using them in December. They ran out in March, I think.

I used a food grade plastic bucket. The lid just sat on top, didn't click down or seal. I used a pasta scoop to place them in and to lift them out.

I've been using 2 quart mason jars. This is my 1st year. I only started water glassing this past Spring so I haven't started using them yet to see how they are; but even if we just use them for baking or scrambled eggs, I will be satisfied. I marked each jar 1, 2, 3 etc so I use them in order.

Through research and observation I determined she had impacted crop. I began treatment of no food (maintained free access to water), olive oil or coconut oil with message every hour. Long story short we had success, Agnes’ crop has emptied.
Here is my question: While I withheld Agnes’ food, I didn’t “isolate” her from the flock. I rotated one or all of the flock to be in the coop with Agnes for a max of 1 hour so she wasn’t isolated from them. During this time, I encountered this; from time to time, the flock would hide Agnes, so to speak, in a corner by pilling around her so I couldn’t pick her up. It was if they were protecting Agnes from me. One time the leader of the flock tried to peck my arm as I reached for Agnes. I know if a chicken is sick and/or isolates from the flock they could reject and could pick on it. But I never expected this! Anyone tell me what might have been going on here? Thanks in advance!
Was her crop still full the morning after you first noticed it (before treatment)? I haven't had any hens protect another like that. Interesting. Did you raise them in a brooder with lots of handling of all of them before they went out to the coop/run?

Was her crop still full the morning after you first noticed it (before treatment)? I haven't had any hens protect another like that. Interesting. Did you raise them in a brooder with lots of handling of all of them before they went out to the coop/run?
Yes, it was still full in the mornings before treatment. And yes, they were raised in the brooder box and had LOTS 😊 of handling on a daily bases.
I know, I thought their behavior was strange too. That’s why I decided to ask here. 🤷🏼‍♀️

That's what I use chickin fairy, just sprinkle a handful in when it seems smelly. It is heavier and larger in size so less likely to become suspended and breathed in. Everything you put in the coop is basically at the chicken's respiration level, so things like dust, ammonia, strong oils like cedar, and other stuff affects them quite a lot.

You want to check down at chicken level for odors, not at human height, by the time they rise up they are usually very strong at chicken level.

Back
Top Bottom