Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look who came to dinner last night
rant.gif
You definitely need to be setting traps or shooting

It felt like more than two. Are you sure it was only two? I bet there was more. And what one didnt I answer? I cant recall (
lau.gif
) repeat it please. I will answer.

Hehe, yep, the questions were, 1) What kind of light does the area get? Which is the one you answered, and 2) Are you still wanting something you can walk on, or are you thinking about doing a path and just using things that are low ground covers / low perennials? That's the one I still wanted an answer to.
smile.png

Well, I wish a fellow member lived around here that knew how to wrap angel wing.

Oh, noes! Sorry I can't offer any advice, but good luck.

I make my DH mow around all the Milkweeds that have eggs on them.

Taprock, this is one of the reasons that we are putting in a butterfly garden, then I will not feel too bad yanking milkweed out of the places I don't want it. Monarchs really are in quite a bit of trouble now, good for you for making him mow around them, lol! Milkweed is the ONLY food source for Monarchs, and scarcity of food is only one of the challenges they are facing.

My two old chicks act like they are trying to take a dust bath can I put something in the brooder for them to roll around in?

I put a low plastic bin filled with sand in with mine when they were in the brooder, and they loved it.

Well, I don't know if any of your read my vomiting chicken story the other day but I think it was more than just an odd occurrence. I'm beginning to wonder if this silkie may have sour crop?

I read it, but I haven't a clue. I so much don't have a clue, that actually after reading into it again, I began to wonder if my problem chicken isn't actually blind and I am just an idiot. I kind of depends on where you read about it, though, all the lists of symptoms seem to be different!
barnie.gif
One talked about not staying with the flock, not leaving the coop much, not jumping up to roost, not growing properly, not eating on its own, and that is the one that made me wonder if perhaps that is actually her issue. Other accounts didn't strike home quite so much. I feel dense. And I still don't have a clue, I tried feeling her crop this evening and it feels soft and gurgley and not really any different from the other (fine) Americana. So I guess I will keep on trying to look into it.

Does any one have any hens/coops for sale near Hastings Michigan?
If you do PM me or txt/call 1269-953-5363

I am finally nearing the end of the bloody woodchips, uuuuuggghhhh. Asked my FIL how much he brought over for me, and he said it was about 20 yards. All I know is, it is more woodchips than I want to have to shovel again anytime soon. I am figuring at this point that it has taken approximately one can of beer / one cubic yard of woodchips.

Can't... wait... for about the same amount of dirt to arrive.
hit.gif
And while the woodchips were at least dumped in the center, the dirt will need to be dumped outside of the entire thing and brought in one careful wheelbarrow load at a time.
th.gif
Not sure I am going to live through it.

By the way, did anyone have any ideas about those nest boxes I posted?

Well, Juise... about the nest boxes... Go to the store, get some of that cloth cupboard/drawer shelf liner... its a bit on the foamy side, so it'll provide a bit of cushion. Otherwise, when you 'put the straw in the nest box, don't break the flake up. Set it in the so it's still pretty much in one peice. Well, you can split the flake so its thinner, but don't break it up. Less will come out. OR you could get a peice of 1x 1/4 inch trimming, and raise the lip. Heck, they aren't to small to get over it.

OK... what did I do today... 2 loads of laundry, goodwill run, resource store run, cleaned the underruns out, cleaned the old duck coop up, rolled the fence up an put it away, cleaned the garage again now that Skatter has moved to the garage with her chicks, cleaned up the random crap/toys/yard tools/stuff all over the yard... AND discovered that the dogs have shredded the new pool. Them little effers. Yup. I went to go and clean the pool out and refill it, put the chems in it to keep the algae from growing in it and found that the whole bottom had been shredded. Yippee. The dogs musta been going after a mole or something. Well anyway. 60 bucks down the drain. I was thinking, I could probably get a liner square that you'd use for a pond, and put it in the bottom of the pool, and since they are black, well, reflect heat(I could be wrong), but the cost of one of them is about the same as getting another pool. I think I will just get another pool. Gonna have to wait till next week though. SO, good thing the weather is going to be on the very chilly side for swimming.

Now I am just waiting for my kidlets to get home for hanging with their dad and his not GF GF.

Well, I'm set up on the deck with a bottle of wine and Miss Nine. Game on.

I'm trying very hard to DE-compensate right now.

Story of my life.

You definitely need to be setting traps or shooting

Or both. I'd go with both.

By the way, did anyone have any ideas about those nest boxes I posted?

Toss 'em. Put a thick pile of straw along the wall, refresh regularly. They'll be happy as clams.

Nova- is it one of those top ring pools? If you call the number on the pool they will have you cut out the square with the "proof of purchase" on it. Maybe they will send you a liner for free...???

Ellie- you got a nice fur coat coming to dinner...

Ooh! I know......trap then shoot.....like shooting fish in a barrel......wow that sounds mean,but I don't want to lose any chickens either.

I set a trap tonight , guess We'll see in the morning. Must be the week for predators. Talked to my best friend today and she had a racoon rip through chicken wire and eat her rooster last night.....got the murder all on the trail cam.
Found my hen today with a huge gash in her back, I think a hawk tried to pick her off but she must have been too big for him....hope she pulls through.

Does any one have any hens/coops for sale near Hastings Michigan?
If you do PM me or txt/call 1269-953-5363

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom