Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Opa, my DH is a big believer in keeping still and being as unscented as possible. The other day he was going out to get his boots on to go hunting and a deer was standing there looking at him. DH just waved his hand some and continued to put his boots on then looked up and saw another deer. This was from our back porch. He said he could have shot but did not want to scare me.
wink.png

Quote:
Sarah, I remember those days, I used to homeschool my kids and it seemed like we were always busy. I actually think they did more when they were homeschooled than they did when they were going to public school.
th.gif

I hope your kids will be feeling better soon.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Get out there extra early and stay long past the idiots that keep stiring the deer up. If they are that stupid they should get the deer moving your way and there you will be ready for them.

I usually hunt from can't see to can't see. I think alot of hunters are afraid of the dark. They start heading in before it's even dark. I hunted this morning and came back home to take care of somethings at the shop. Hopefully the rain will quit before I go back out. I'm not very concerned about taking my limit this season. Once the corn is harvested and the dummies have gotten tired I still will have alot of the season left. I normally kill the majority of my deer during the muzzleloader season.

I was just out in the coop and one of the young EE wasn't acting normal. When I picked him up his crop was very big and squishy and when I pressed on it lightly he gurgled. Very weird. So I hope this was ok, but I pressed and ran my hand up the front of him and all kinds of water and bits of liquidfied food came up and out his mouth. I went about some chores and clean up and fed treats and by the time I was done he was acting more normal and eating and drinking. Looking for some advice on if this is anything something to worry about or if it continues should I cull?

Hello Fellow Michiganders! I'm a new egg and so happy to have found this site. I live in Clay Township which is about 30 miles SE of Port Huron. I don't have any chickens yet but the coop is almost done and I will get them in the spring. I probably should be looking until I find the information instead of asking, but what the hey. What, when and where is chickenstock?
hu.gif
I'm not positive what breed of chickens I want other than Americanas and/or Easter Eggers so it would be nice to go somewhere that I can see a lot of breeds and learn about them, then buy. I see a few of you are close to me, like Capac and Burton. Well, Burton not so much, but I go through Flint when I go home to Frankenmuth. Thanks for any information anyone can give me. Oh, one other question: are all roosters aggressive? I would love to have a roo, but don't want it chasing my dogs and cats. My Bordeaux would eat it and my Schnoodle would be terrified! Also would be a problem if the rooster tried to attack George, my male swan, in the spring when he's pretty agressive. Thanks all!

Welcome chickmate
welcome-byc.gif

I see you said your home was in Frankenmuth well you will need to make a trip home in Oct next yr for the fowl fest. You can check out plenty of breeds there.
Information on chickenstock search chickenstock Michigan 2010 at the top of the page it will bring it up.

It is going to be June 12 2010 not for sure on place yet but last yr it was at a park in Lansing Michigan we all had a great time talking Chicken
there is also a thread from the past chickenstock we had, just search chickenstock Michigan

Babette

Quote:
welcome, welcome! Burton isn't far from me at all! neither is Frankenmuth! how cool!

i have EE's and we have several breeds. just breeze the website!

roos generally are not crazy creatures. they can actually be quite tame, most of mine are quite docile. my cats and dog even come in and out of the runs and coops.
the key is only breeding back the gentle animals so you incorporate that tameness.

if it's aggressive, it's supper.

would love to have you out sometime! it's butchering season right now for thanksgiving and finishing up the meat chickens, so it's a little crazy right now, but it will calm down and be quiet again soon. spring will be tons of chicks, poults, ducklings and keets! lots to see!

again welcome and enjoy!

MJ Seems to be doing a little better. I am watching him this morning and he was eating and drinking. I massaged his crop and it is smaller and not hard. Opa PMed me some good advice. So far so good. I have 3 EE roos though, If I keep one it wasn't gonna be this one but I was hoping it would get big enough for dinner or soup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom