Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Happy for you and the new incubator!! It is such a exciting thing...hatching eggs! Hope you feel better Keyt...I imagine a day or two of rest will help you!

Dweej...just took a look at your website! Pretty interesting story...moving from Ca. to rural Michigan...sight unseen! Were either of you from Mi. originally?? Relatives??
Your children are very cute....looks like you are doing well for a transplant!

My dad's big huge family lives mostly over in and around Detroit. I grew up here (well, there) for a bit as a kid, and back to visit a bunch of times, so it wasn't totally foreign to me, but hubby and the kids had never set foot in this state, so they were a little more nervous. Although with the internet, nothing is ever a total unknown, so we feel very lucky
thumbsup.gif

I think Michiganders are drawn back to this beautiful state quite often when they leave. I lived in Florida for 30 yrs. but always knew I'd come back. DH still prefers Florida-- however, he isn't from Michigan.

29 degrees this morning here in N. Michigan...I'm missing the beautiful high temps we had for those two spectacular days! Day 5 with my Orpington eggs in the incubator....if you stare at them long enough does it make them develop any faster?
lol.png

Quote:
And then there are those of us that just can't seem to get out to begin with...
tongue.png
lol.png

Quote:
Keep in mind that "toxic" does not necessarily equal "fatal". "Toxic" can mean mild digestive upset, "toxic" can mean it acts as a hallucinogen, "toxic" can mean it interferes with motor function or nerve transmission and so on and so forth. "Toxic" acts on a very broad scale.

Nightshades are known to contain alkaloids. Alkaloids can be anything from beneficial to fatal, depending on the dose and structure. Most people just know to steer clear of all nightshades all the time. So it's not uncommon for people to warn others off from tomato plants, green potatoes, etc. That doesn't however mean that all nightshades are fatal all the time, not in any way shape or form. Even those that are fatal aren't fatal all the time. Belladonna is an infamous nightshade that is fatal, but also valuable as a medicinal. There's a rather popular homeopathic treatment for infants that you can buy off just about any pharmacy shelf that contains Belladonna, as a matter of fact. Wonderful remedy, I've given it to both my girls. But in the wrong dose, for the wrong person, at the wrong time, Belladonna will kill.

And then, of course, you have the issue that most toxicity reports are either for humans or valuable livestock that are often reared outdoors as part of industry -- cattle, horses, etc. Chickens are not reared outdoors in large scale, industrial operations so toxicity research is pretty much at the bottom of the priority totem pole for them. There is no need to determine what varieties of plants are toxic to an animal that is kept in a controlled, vegetation-free environment. So all we can really do is paint with a broad brush, using what we know of how certain compounds react with other species to predict what may or may not harm them.

Just peaking my head in to say hello. I'm new here and new to chicken rearing. I have 8 girls in the garage right now and I will be working on making their lovely home soon.
smile.png

:: waves ::

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Babigyrl....I think everyone on this thread is outdoors today enjoying the sun. I'm on lunch break but we are cleaning up outside too! What kind of chickens do you have?

Mr. Teddy the turkey went to the processor this morning and came back as 18lbs of pure meat
smile.png
. 18lbs of ground turkey = approximately 550 eggrolls!! Crazyness!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom