Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like an Easter Egger with the green legs. She looks smaller than the other hens you have. I would wait til she is the same size before introducing her. and put her in the coop at night.

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, she is a bit bigger than them. Quite a bit fuller frame, and probably a little taller too. I put her in with them a little before dusk. There was some rowdiness. She kept going into the coop to retreat. They all went in nicely for the night. I've read that it is just something they are going to have to go through to figure out the hierarchy. Just hoping they figure it out quickly and with little violence. Anyone have any pointers on at what point to intervene? I don't want to mess too much with the natural flow of things, that is until it is going to lead to an injury...

This isn't about chickens at all.. but I'm SO excited about my compost this year! I just turned it this evening and its so beautiful and steamy! I can't wait to use it!

Quote:

Actually, she is a bit bigger than them. Quite a bit fuller frame, and probably a little taller too. I put her in with them a little before dusk. There was some rowdiness. She kept going into the coop to retreat. They all went in nicely for the night. I've read that it is just something they are going to have to go through to figure out the hierarchy. Just hoping they figure it out quickly and with little violence. Anyone have any pointers on at what point to intervene? I don't want to mess too much with the natural flow of things, that is until it is going to lead to an injury...

I'm certainly no expert and quite a few (most) highly disagree with my practices, however if my smaller ones get into a little trouble with the bigger chickens (and even my roosters) I take a broom to them. Funny thing is a lot of them are like dogs. They see a broom coming and off they run. But if it's just light bullying I don't bother. I had that with my pullets I put in the general population a couple of days ago and only had one problem.
Good luck!

Quote:
I really like your setup.

After a terrible winter with a un-roofed run, I added a polycarbonate roof this spring. Here are some pictures of it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=55498

Wow, you have a beautiful yard and gardens! I'll bet your ducks are happy! I also have koi in my pond. Sure wish I had one imported from Japan! I really do love the clear fiberglass cover on my run. With all this rain I would have to have floaties on my girls if it weren't for the roof.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Thanks.

I also like my polycarbonate roof and walls. Should have done it last year.

My ducks are very happy and they are very sweat.

Quote:
I don't have a guess on what she is, but she sure is pretty!

Thanks! I agree, I was excited to have such a pretty bird fall into my lap. Nothing against the others, but I was hoping to someday soon have something with a little more color, etc.
big_smile.png

McBeers, I would like to see a larger and clearer picture of your foundling. To me it looks as though she might be a buff columbian wyandotte. No matter what she is, she is a very pretty bird. By the way, welcome to BYC and the Michigan thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom