Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
57488_chicken_burton_injury_009.jpg

Here is Burton with my makeshift wound dressing...I have some better stuff to put on tonight. the self sticking wrap might be better. and some neosporin too.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, Opa. I have read on here that high roosts can lead to damaged livers and bumble foot, but they seem to want to roost high and since my nest boxes are situated one row on top of the other, I need to keep high roosts or they will sleep in the nest boxes. I wondered about some kind of ladder for them. Right now they are jumping up on the top of the brooder and then up to the roost, but when I take the brooder down they won't be able to get up there. Great tip on the poop pan, I'm going to go out and see if I can find some plywood pieces I can suspend like you did. Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
gallinamama - I'm really afraid of how I'm going to deal with it when I have an emergency. I'm not a good farmer either in that I have a hard time when one of my animals is sick or hurt. I'm just really going to have to suck it up and be a big girl and do what has to be done, I guess. You're doing great and should be proud of yourself! We can only do our best to take care of them.
hugs.gif

Sadly, the first chick died. I knew it would, but I tried. The 2nd chick is alive and well and hanging out happily with one of my one month old bantams. In fact, the new chick has kinda taken on the bantam as a mama (daddy?) and she's letting him! It's so cute!

Can anyone recommend a good place to get some marans chicks or hatching eggs? I just gave 17 of my chickens to a friend. She has 7 acres and has been talking about getting chickens for a long time. I finally convinced her! Nice thing is the only thing we had to do was clean up a barn (there's 4 different sizes) and a coop (there's 3), fix the wire and boom, a little straw, some food and it's all done. A lot easier than when we did ours.

So now that we have more room (we had plenty before) I now definitely want some marans!
smile.png

Does any fellow michigan member know if there is a bird swap this weekend? I NEED to sell some birds including golden laced sebrights, easter eggers, a few seramas, and 13 button quail. Thanks
big_smile.png

I need to find out more about this chickenstock thing. I've got a friend that may be intersted and we could all come.
We live near Muskegon, MI.

Hello Chickmate, I love your coop. It is really nice. Mine is an ongoing process as my husband is not really into helping me... he thinks I should just get rid of them and give the coop to my son for a storage shed... Actually when all this happened yesterday, It crossed my mind as well but then I got over it...
gig.gif
I will not lie, sometimes it can be a bit trying... but other times it is strangely calming. I am a pretty tough bird myself so I hope that Burton will be able to get well...but it will be a long long while before I am able to put her with the rest of the chickens... I don't know what to do at this point.. cause Burton is in the coop by herself and the rest are in the run...
gig.gif
serves them right for trying to eat one of their own...that is just what I told them too..
lol.png
I didn't give them their usual treats either... they are probably wondering "What's up?" They keep following me around expecting more and more... haha.
I went out just now and cleaned her wound and put a special non stick pad that says it is soothing...with neosporin and then put another regular nonstick pad on then wrapped it with that clinging wrap..that sticks to itself... she was great.. got up so I could wrap it around her belly... so sweet. I would hate to put her down... I hope she gets well. but she doesn't seem to be suffering.. she is eating and drinking.. but not really as active. I guess not.. with a hole in her back.. yikes!
ep.gif

Quote:
gallinamama - I'm really afraid of how I'm going to deal with it when I have an emergency. I'm not a good farmer either in that I have a hard time when one of my animals is sick or hurt. I'm just really going to have to suck it up and be a big girl and do what has to be done, I guess. You're doing great and should be proud of yourself! We can only do our best to take care of them.
hugs.gif

Has anyone ever had one of their young pullets go catatonic when you take them for a field trip outside? Everyone was fine except for one EE pullet, who was just crouched down and not moving, not even when I nudged her with my foot! I checked her over to make sure she wasn't hurt or anything and eventually took pity on her and brought her back in which she was glad for because the second I put her down in the coop she went running around like normal. Everyone else loved it.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom