Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
theron, there is another one this weekend in Newaygo. Same place and time as the one when I met you last month. I won't be able to make it this time.

Thanks!
smile.png

we lost power here for an hour...go figure I have eggs hatching today!!
he.gif
barnie.gif
rant.gif
I covered it up all the way and it only dropped to 90* in there and the humidity stayed good.
fl.gif
Looks like a few are pipping thru so we'll see how many chickies are running around in the morning!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
gallinamama - I'm really afraid of how I'm going to deal with it when I have an emergency. I'm not a good farmer either in that I have a hard time when one of my animals is sick or hurt. I'm just really going to have to suck it up and be a big girl and do what has to be done, I guess. You're doing great and should be proud of yourself! We can only do our best to take care of them.
hugs.gif

Thanks, I love my coop too! I wouldn't have it if it weren't for Jim Musson, the great guy who built it for me. If Burton is eating and drinking I don't think you should have to put her down. They seem to be pretty hardy and heal quickly, but I feel bad for her being all alone. What about putting just one other chicken in with her, or if that one still picks at her, getting a younger chick to keep her company? BTW, are you in Macomb County or the city of Macomb? Not sure where the city is, but wondering how far you are from me. I'm in Algonac, if you know where that is.

This morning I was sleeping in the recliner because I'm in extreme pain and can't lay flat and Aric's phone went off 3 times. There was also a couple of calls on the house phone but we don't pick it up if we don't know the number.

Aric checked his phone and it was the neighbor. He works at Shroyer's auto and a guy he works with was all stressed out because two of his young ducks were missing. No feathers or anything were left behind. The third one was left behind with a little blood on her wing and a scratch on her beak. The neighbor Tom wanted to know if we wanted the duck that was left behind.

Well, I promised I wouldn't take anymore ducks unless it was female calls but I heard Aric tell Tom her to us.

The story was the guy picked up a duck for each of his kids. Tom didn't ask but I think it's about 3 months old. He was upset because the ducks were just kept in a wire run with no coop or shelter of any kind! The other two ducks were taken sometime between midnight and 6am. He said he saw a large owl when he checked the ducks before going to bed but he didn't know if that was what took the other ducks.

I didn't get her til after dark so I will get pics of her tomorrow. She's a real sweetheart Pekin. I swore NO MORE Pekins since I already have two loud as hell females but she didn't have anywhere else to go. The guy's daughter is devastated, but I said they are welcome to come here and see her anytime.

The guy gave us two large bags of feed too. Both have price tags on them $32! ACK!

Anyway, the surviving chick is doing very well. The bantam its in with is acting like a real mother to it. The chick stays really close to the bantam and sleeps underneath it. The bantam is very gentle and sweet to the baby it's so adorable!

I candled the duck eggs I put in the other incubator on the 25th and they're all alive and active!
smile.png

Quote:
yep. I have had that happen. I usually give the "paranoid" pullet another week and then its "suck it up- its a big world out here"..
smile.png

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sad tonight.
My husband called to tell me that three of my muscovy babies out there with mama drowned in the waterer.
How? Why?
I dont get it. They must have gotten soaked and then trampled. There are seven others. I dont think they need water at all now. mama has been such a good mama, she must have been very upset. Or maybe she didnt notice.
sad.png

Quote:
yep. I have had that happen. I usually give the "paranoid" pullet another week and then its "suck it up- its a big world out here"..
smile.png

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sad tonight.
My husband called to tell me that three of my muscovy babies out there with mama drowned in the waterer.
How? Why?
I dont get it. They must have gotten soaked and then trampled. There are seven others. I dont think they need water at all now. mama has been such a good mama, she must have been very upset. Or maybe she didnt notice.
sad.png

Aww that is sad! That kinda thing worries me. Right now I'm worried that my new chick isn't drinking or eating. I haven't seen him do it but I guess that doesn't mean he hasn't. He's only 48 hours old and still a bit wobbly on his feet.
fl.gif
he's eating and drinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom