Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
They'll be really hard to find if you are looking for them to buy asap. Turkeys are seasonal layers, laying in the fall and early summer (usually). I read of an odd ball on the turkey subforum that just laid a clutch, but that is really unusual.

I personally got mine as hatching eggs earlier in the year. Just butchered two at 22 weeks ( a tad young for heritage birds like they are) but the carcasses have a nice load of meat on them.

I was hoping to find some now, just because I wanted one ready for Thanksgiving next year. But, if I have to wait, I guess I wait. Thanks
smile.png

Is it just me or are we starting to see more Yoopers here on the thread? Welcome new folks, wherever you live.

Judysim I keep bees but I have to rebuild my colonies this year. Everything including building new hive bodies and supers. I might have to look into the top bar method. I plan to build an observation colony as well.

Quote:
You should be able to grow out a nice turkey even if you start in Spring. That's what a friend does and he gets nice big birds. I'll have to ask where he gets the chicks.

Big downside of having friendly chickens: if you are doing work outside, or need to hire workers, then they get in the way! I didn't think the workers on an outbuilding we are having built were going to be coming today. Wrong! At dawn I let the girls out to free range. And then the workers showed up. I already gave the girls a treat this morning, so when I offered them bread they were like "pssh, nah, we're good right now" and ignored me. Herding chickens is impossible! I'd get all but two in the run, and then they'd all run past me for freedom again. This happened several times, so I just locked the two lollygaggers out, hopefully the are mannerly!

If you're looking for a good read, check out the magazine, "The Sun". It's ad-free and is for short story writers. It can be kinda dark and leftist, but that balances out my People magazine addiction. November's issue had TWO chicken related entries. It was so cool to understand their writing from a chicken lover point of view.

Hello! to the newcomers.

Thanks Stacykins, that is funny. And the rats really are adorable little piggies.

The stupid chickens are still ignoring the pellets... Guess sooner or later they will get hungry enough and eat huh. I usually have to refill the container every 3 days... I haven't had to yet. Its only about 3 inches from the top, I swear they are picking around the pellets and just eating the crumbles. Picky rat turds.

However, on a good note, NO pine in the water this morning. I spaced the bricks farther apart, and the pine landed on the bricks and not in the water! Yeah!

Well anyway... have a nice one all!

Last year I bought a bag of pellets instead of crumbles by mistake. My bantam Cochin actually wasn't eating. After a few days of pellets I noticed her in the coop roosting when usually she is like the others and will run for freedom when I let them free range. She acted sleepy even when I picked her up. I brought her inside and gave her yogurt with mashed pellets and she was fine the next day. I gave pellets and realized she pecked but didn't actually eat any... So back to the store for crumbles. Now the chickens have crumbles and only the ducks have pellets. Just keep an eye on them to make sure their energy levels don't change from not eating enough. The one I have is very small and only a few months old at the time. Maybe she was just extra picky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom