Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I am a chicken outlaw from Sterling Heights. I am new to chickens being a city girl. My husband was raised elsewhere and has some experience. We purchased our chicks 4 weeks ago hoping to get an early start and summer eggs. I had no idea they would grow SO fast. We purchased 5 chicks: 1 silkie, 1 rhode island red, 1 leghorn, 1 easter egger and 1 isa brown. I look forward to reading through the Michigan forum and gaining Michigan chicken information.

I'm always so far behind because I have to read all 150 or however many posts have accumulated since I last logged in. I read all of them first before I start posting because things change so fast here. Like the above was posted yesterday! Oh well.

jphillips!

Glad to have you! Good luck keeping up! Lots of great people who are always willing to answer questions and give helpful advice.

No problems that I know of, lately. Someone else mentioned trumpet vine. I might try it. My chickens have cohabited with the MGs for one season. Then too, I read somewhere that clover is poisonous to chickens ???

Speaking of plants toxic to chickens, I found this link.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html

BobBry - You must have happy chickens, they're all high!

MORNING GLORIES (Ipomea spp.); entire plant; plant contains LSD-related hallucinogens; may contain toxic levels of nitrates.

CLOVERS (Trifolium spp.); plant causes photosensitization and contact dermatitis (also see WHITE CLOVER).

There are so many plants on this list that I have in my yard, like bleeding heart, golden trumpet vine, honeysuckle, wisteria and lily of the valley that are listed as toxic. I hope they know which ones to leave alone!

I am seriously POed right now!
somad.gif

My ducklings arrived sometime last night and the post office has been calling every hour. Trouble is my cell phone has not been accepting the calls. As a result, 9 baby mallards are dead.

I'm so sorry RaZ. The poor little things. I'm glad you had some survivors though. They are very cute.

You can hug me, grandma
big_smile.png

Me too, Grandma!!

Well, we got the ice but it melted within hours. Last night at church a funny thing happened. It was all serene and quiet as the pastor was preaching about how some people belive in the Big Bang theory vs. creation. The very instant he said "Big Bang" there was a HUGE AND VERY LOUD clap (bang?) of thunder! Just one, then silence. The whole chuch cracked up! Who says God doesn't have a sense of humor?

Mama seems to be having a hard time readjusting to being accosted by the roos since she's had babies. She's been hiding behind the dog crate to avoid them. It has been so nice outside, I would like her to be out with the chicks, but she hides in the coop and seems very timid and is even afraid of the other hens. She feels a little thin but has chick starter and water in her enclosure and I give them scratch, bread, corn and other treats which she eats every day. She has not been going out to eat the layer crumbles but I have seen her eating the chick starter. I have been finding a BR egg in the crate, so I think she has started laying again. Of course, I also find EE eggs in there as the other girls seem to think it is the new deluxe suite nest box. I hope she integrates back into the flock OK. The others seem to be fine with the chicks who are now starting to fly up onto the roosts with Mama when she goes up there to avoid the roosters.

I hope I'm not going to lose one of the chicks. It seems weak, I can't get it to drink and it is having a hard time holding up his head. It was fine earlier and it was eating and drinking. I'm hoping it's just a delayed stress thing and not more serious.

I got to be Nova tonight! Hurrah!

Well, that could be interesting!
gig.gif

Quote:
Well my daughters favorite type of chicken (d'uccle) also! And mine. She would hear my car come in the driveway and call for me. She was in our laps and under our feet constantly. What a snuggler. This is my daughter holding our silkie mix.

Grandma, your daughter is so beautiful. She could easily be a model. You must be very proud of her. By the way, how did you get the name Chicken Grandma? You are obviously not "grandma" age!

I hope I'm not going to lose one of the chicks. It seems weak, I can't get it to drink and it is having a hard time holding up his head. It was fine earlier and it was eating and drinking. I'm hoping it's just a delayed stress thing and not more serious.

RaZ - Can you add some electrolytes or chick saver to the water?

eta: Maybe use an eye dropper to get some water down it?

Last edited:
Good Morning, friends.

Raz- good luck with the ducklings. Im sorry you lost so many. I was pondering the duckling/duck/suburban thing. You should get ahold of sevenchickens and get some muscovies from her. They dont quack, so therefore neighbors dont hear them.

kimmie, I use pine bedding in my coop. Havent had a problem so far.

jphillips, YAY you are not that far away..us Southeastern Mi peeps are up to four or five now..

Yesterday, my daughter called me at work and told me that my Frizzle chicken was dead. I was pretty sad. I told her to put her on top of the freezer in the garage and I would take care of her when I got home.
When I got home, nobody else was home. I went out to the freezer and she wasnt there. I searched my yard- figured the dogs took her somewhere. NOpe. So I said: Wonder if she was ressurected? Went searching and she is still in the rabbit hutch, very much alive= just extremely broody. haahaahaaa, must have really fooled my kid.

they don't know each other tho... This one that's recovering, she is Skeeter's hatchling... But I don't want to take one more of skeeter,s away... She has already lost 2... I might put her back with skeeter tonight if she continues to eat and move around. Or lock them up in the coop... Well try...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom