Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brethren49619 - I'm not near you but welcome. there is alot of good people on this thread. Warning....we are chatty (but seriously entertaining!).
frow.gif

So my lone silkie decided, in her sisters absence, to brood again. My frizzle has taken up her sister's role and instead of cuddling in the corner of the coop, stuffed herself in the nest box with her to sleep. I stole her eggs but I was wondering if I should just let her brood and give her these chicks when they hatch this weekend. Only thing is there is 19 of them that will possibly hatch. If they all hatch will that be too much for her or will she be overjoyed at the opportunity to mother so many? I would, of course, put a light in the brooding area....just curious though.

Any thoughts on using the silkiebrooder?

Good Morning All,
Not a lot gonna happen today, work is on my schedule. Hoping to get a break where I can sneak out for a bit or better yet come home early.

I had the the chicks out side for a bit yesterday and they did well, they seemed to enjoy the sun & the little bit of breeze.

Babigyrl22.....I bet they looked cute snuggling in there together!

Hello and welcome Brethren49619......there's a whole lot of chicken talk going on here. Glad you decided to join us.

Ferret,
Post pictures! Even if it is creeepy stuff. We will all appreciate your talent!
I'll stick with the non creepy for now.
This is a nautilus I made for BF. He likes sea creatures, especially cephalopods, so I made him a few plush critters over birthdays and holidays.

Thanks for the invite Opa, though Lansing is a little far for me. Anyone know of shows or selling points somewhere up here? And thank you for the warm welcomes everyone. Love looking at the chickens, but really want to be able to incubate my own. Given all the posts, seems that is easier for some than others. After my first failed attempt, was wondering how many attempts others had before they were successful? I'm not discouraged, just impatient!

Thanks for the invite Opa, though Lansing is a little far for me. Anyone know of shows or selling points somewhere up here? And thank you for the warm welcomes everyone. Love looking at the chickens, but really want to be able to incubate my own. Given all the posts, seems that is easier for some than others. After my first failed attempt, was wondering how many attempts others had before they were successful? I'm not discouraged, just impatient!

I would suggest you do a search for dry method incubation. Lots of good info

That's exactly what I have been looking at this weekend.
wink.png
Also getting a second fan to hopefully eliminate hot spots and more thermometers to monitor the whole interior better. Then on to looking for another batch of eggs to try. Would love to have something work, but not willing to try on expensive breeds yet.
hmm.png
Champagne taste with a beer budget!

Last edited:
Welcome Brethern. Regarding shows and such: There is Spring Fowl Fest in Alma, MI the last Sat. of this Month and Starting soon there is a swap meet in Newago at the Family Farm and Home. Hillbilly posted a list of dates a while ago you could search this site to try and find it.

Chloe the Nankin is brooding well. She has moved her nest about 4 inches 3 times since last Thursday.

Separated birds last night to work on breeding the EE's. Will probably start collecting eggs the end of the month.

Getting the car a new exhaust system today. Wish I had satallite internet so I could get on while sitting in the waiting room. Oh well, guess I 'll grab a book instead.

Rained pretty good last night and I had just planted spinach, lettuce, and peas with a few onions mixed arround. Good timing.

Good Morning from Perry! I am very new to the site and was told about the Michigan thread last night. I raise Silver Ameraucanas. Just yesterday I picked up Black Copper Maran eggs. I really hope they hatch. Once everyone hatches I'll have to retest my flock for pullorum, better to be safe then sorry.

If anyone has a listing of the shows and dates could you send me the information? When my husband does not have a show of his own (his hobby), I would like to get out with my birds (my hobby).

I would advise against feeding layer to your birds as it can cause kidney problems.  If it is necessary to have them feeding with adults it would be better to put all of them on Flock Raiser.

Just what I was going to say

This morning I will take Granny for her semi-annual checkup with the doctor.  She has been quite fortunate with how her health as improved since moving here.  She once told me that she wanted to live till at least 103 and given her current state of health I wouldn't be surprised if she does.

And I I hope she makes it to chickenstock every year!

Good Morning from Perry!  I am very new to the site and was told about the Michigan thread last night. 

Hi wicki and bretheren, welcome to BYC and the Michigan thread :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom