Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome Brethern, you'll see it can get pretty chatty on this thread.

Sometimes it gets too chatty. Either that or I have age-onset ADD. I should be doing homework but I am completely burned out when it comes to school work. All of this talk of painting, carving, sewing, coop building and other creative projects has my mind wandering all over the place. I have those western red cedars to plant, fence posts to sink, lawn to aerate, and tons of other things that need done here and at my Mom's house.

Maybe I can get some advice here. My Mom gave me the e-mail addy of my "brother" and said he would like to talk to me. I was about 25 when I found out that I had an older brother. I only ever met him once, in 1984 or so. I started to write an e-mail but I can't think of anything to say. Not a darn thing. It's not like me to be at a loss for words.

On another note, my egg laying project needs to be turned in no later than April 26th. The first run of data suggest that there is no correlation between amount of daylight and egg production in backyard flocks. With my flock as a control group, there is a strong indicator that egg production actually decreased as the days got longer. I still have to run the analysis for scientific confidence.

Anyway, I should try to do some homework.

Thanks for the invite Opa, though Lansing is a little far for me. Anyone know of shows or selling points somewhere up here? And thank you for the warm welcomes everyone. Love looking at the chickens, but really want to be able to incubate my own. Given all the posts, seems that is easier for some than others. After my first failed attempt, was wondering how many attempts others had before they were successful? I'm not discouraged, just impatient!

Brethren49619, try mbgba.com . They have many dates for shows and swaps. There might be some in your area.

Welcome Brethern, you'll see it can get pretty chatty on this thread.

Sometimes it gets too chatty. Either that or I have age-onset ADD. I should be doing homework but I am completely burned out when it comes to school work. All of this talk of painting, carving, sewing, coop building and other creative projects has my mind wandering all over the place. I have those western red cedars to plant, fence posts to sink, lawn to aerate, and tons of other things that need done here and at my Mom's house.

Maybe I can get some advice here. My Mom gave me the e-mail addy of my "brother" and said he would like to talk to me. I was about 25 when I found out that I had an older brother. I only ever met him once, in 1984 or so. I started to write an e-mail but I can't think of anything to say. Not a darn thing. It's not like me to be at a loss for words.

On another note, my egg laying project needs to be turned in no later than April 26th. The first run of data suggest that there is no correlation between amount of daylight and egg production in backyard flocks. With my flock as a control group, there is a strong indicator that egg production actually decreased as the days got longer. I still have to run the analysis for scientific confidence.

Anyway, I should try to do some homework.

I totally understand being burnt out from homework. My remedy is to put a timer or threshold on the amt of work required to get done before you can do a small fun project. Break it up a bit with some fun stuff in between. My MBA program was notorious for 30pg papers. I'd do them in sections (except the literary review...which I'd do chunks).

Regarding emailing your brother. Keep it short and sweet. Ask him how he is. Give a short update on your life (school, etc.). And wish him well. If you want to open the door to "hey let's have a beer sometime and catch up"....then do that too.

Now get back to homework. ;)

welcome-byc.gif
to all the newbies! Great forum. Lots of info and lots of fun.
RaZ... at a loss of words?? No way. Just start talking about your chickens in the city. I'm sure he'd enjoy the crazy next door neighbor stories, we sure have! Start small and you'll find common things to talk about.
Had a fantastic time in Chicago. I think we walked all of downtown Chicago with my son leading the way. The grand kids did awesome doing all that walking. For 8,7 and 2 six year olds, I was very impressed. While we adults were exhausted by evening, they still had energy to burn!

Raz, I think your sample size and the fact that you have not run the experiment over a calendar year may be limiting factors - as well as your testing has been done on pullets, who have a more irregular laying pattern that adult hens. So really you need more hens - MANY more hens - and lots of time. Sounds like a great rationalization to me!

Bretheren, I know Lansing is a long drive, but Chickenstock is really not to be missed if at all possible - it is a great time, with great food, and lots of nice birds available.

Raz, I think your sample size and the fact that you have not run the experiment over a calendar year may be limiting factors - as well as your testing has been done on pullets, who have a more irregular laying pattern that adult hens. So really you need more hens - MANY more hens - and lots of time. Sounds like a great rationalization to me!

Actually my sample size is 167 birds distributed over 16 flocks. Ages of hens was 20 weeks to 4 YO. Locations of flocks ranged from Oregon to Texas to the UK.

While I would have liked to gather a year of data, I was limited to this semester so the data covers January through March (91 days). Oddly, my prof says that I have too much data and we will need to summarize it without altering the results. He has a few tricks to do that and we've been meeting each week. Also my flock isn't a true "control" group by definition. It's more of reference point since I know exactly how old my hens are and what they have been fed.
My hypothesis is that hours of light are not the control factor for egg laying. There is a lot of published literature to support the 15-16 hours of light required for egg production, but all those studies focus on commercial operations.

Lots of people will state the 15-16 hours as necessary for backyard flocks as well. Since I am contrary by nature, I'm attempting to refute that "fact".
wink.png

RaZ... at a loss of words?? No way. Just start talking about your chickens in the city. I'm sure he'd enjoy the crazy next door neighbor stories, we sure have!

Oh sure, that would brand me as crazy from the get-go!
gig.gif

Speaking of my outlaw flock, I called the court as directed by the ordinance officer and they have no record of a ticket being issued. She said call back on Friday or next week. Maybe the officer will forget to file the ticket...
fl.gif

Oh and the crazy neighbor is acting out again. Today is trash day and she put her garbage out in front of my house. Like right in the middle of front yard. Is that supposed to mean something?
lau.gif

Please tell me more about Chickenstock! When, Where, What is it? How much is it? Where can I find all this information?

:welcome Brethren49619 and Wickischickies and Shoomy! You will like it here! :D

Juise- My first thought was Coryza, but it could be MG. I had both diseases last year, so I am quite familiar with both of them.

With Coryza, the chicks would have runny nose that smells BAD. :sick Birds with MG have runny noses too, but almost no smell.
I am sorry for you are going through, and hope that its not one of those two.

Sorry for all your loss, Congrats on your findings, paintings, art, and some others that I forget.

I went to FFH yesterday, and brought 21 CX, and most of them were about 2 or 3 weeks old, and got them for 1.49 each. I consider that a bargain, as I did not have to feed and keep them warm for a few weeks less than starting from day olds! :D

It was pouring this morning, and a few days ago, I saw that the seeds that I planted in the cow field had sprouted! Woot! Got to finish the 2nd pasture fence, so I can move the calves out of the pasture, so the seeds can grow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom