Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning All,
Just finished up watering all my beds and now heading out to feed & water. Just out of curiosity; those of you zoned AG and with roos, what time do yours guys start to sound off?

Usually my roosters don't open up until an hour before sunrise

I was just out with the chickens and the SLW decided to mount Crispy, (my BO). She gave a squawk and Broaster (dominant BSL) body slammed the young roo. He tried again with Broiler and even Broaster with no luck. He fumbles like a high school boy at prom.

Now that the youngsters have reached 20 weeks of age, how likely is it that they may actually be mature enough to reproduce? I have until Thursday before the roos go to freezer camp and I wonder if they will have time to fertilize the older hens or even the young pullets.

This is a total newbie question, but I wonder if I can get viable hatching eggs in the next few days.
YES!!!! ABSOLUTELY! The second batch of Uggos are living proof! I had NO idea the boys were even old enough when they were rehomed, and then TWO weeks later, eggs laid were fertile.
Let the eggs sit, see if you get a broody...

I have a standard rule that I don't take phone calls after 9:00 pm. But I did answer the phone a little while ago when I saw that the caller ID said it was from a friend of mine who is/was in the Army. Erin is a combat medic with three tours in Iraq and is currently state side.

Through the wonder of social media, she knows about my fight with the city over my chickens and called to lend her support. She said that she will come out to help if she can.

I am truly humbled in thinking that a soldier who fought over seas is willing to fight here in town. It really puts things in perspective for me. I'm at a loss for words in expressing my gratitude for those who protect us.
Thats awesome!
Morning All,
Just finished up watering all my beds and now heading out to feed & water. Just out of curiosity; those of you zoned AG and with roos, what time do yours guys start to sound off?
well how about those of us NOT zoned AG?
Because that answer would be between four am and four thirty am. a little later if the neighbors have their windows CLOSED.
hide.gif

Last edited:
I have had some roosters crow all during the night.

I've been told, don't know how true but makes sense.....that they usually don't crow in the middle of the night unless they sense a predator/danger.

Usually my roosters don't open up until an hour before sunrise

Mine start at the break of dawn, maybe 15 minutes before. This morning was @ 5:30

well how about those of us NOT zoned AG?
Because that answer would be between four am and four thirty am. a little later if the neighbors have their windows CLOSED.
hide.gif

gig.gif
gig.gif

This morning mine sounded unusually loud, especially Shelby. I locked them up last night & left the coops windows open half way for it's been hot. I went out to feed and saw Shelby standing on the walk plank looking all proud & sounding off magnificently. Ooops....they were all tucked in on their roost but I forgot to close their door!

Morning All,
When my son's roo was here "at the butt crack of dawn" or so the neighbor says, hahaha, which up here is a little after 5AM

Morning All,

Before I get up, around 4AM. Then whenever they feel like it.

Maybe it was heat stroke?
That's what Aric and I were saying yesterday. None of our birds are sick. After I read your post I went out and checked on the rest of the birds we brought to cs and they were all fine. The heat is terrible on chicks that's why we keep them either on our covered porch in a very large brooder box or in the breeding pen in the barn where both places we have fans. I'm sorry it died, I really do feel bad!

Yes they should and if there was a prize for the most I would get it LOL

I don't know, I got my Dukes set up and I've caught 10 in 3 nights... 1/3 of your tally but you've been at it longer.

Nova, your sister is in my thoughts. Hopefully things will look up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom