Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
West Nile virus (WNV) activity has been identified in two Michigan counties. A mosquito pool submitted by the Saginaw County Mosquito Abatement Commission has tested positive for WNV at Michigan State University (MSU). In addition, a wild turkey found in Washtenaw County displaying neurologic signs has tested positive for WNV at MSU. These findings confirm that the virus is circulating in mosquitoes and birds in the state

Sick birds are lethargic, weak, and may show neurological signs.

Raz, Rabies information hasn't changed that much in the last 30 years or so. The Raccoon rabies outbreak in the eastern states is very serious, the strain is highly contagious and has been found in animals that are not usually susceptable to rabies (such as ground hogs and other rodents).

For more rabies information, visit www.michigan.gov/rabies or www.cdc.gov/rabies

Last edited:
Im going to take him in to work and give sub-q fluids, or IV fluids if I can get a catheter in the ear vein.
Basically, I think its mute, but I will give him twentthree hours from when i found him. (I get off work around seven). I will either bring him home or euthanize him. I cant go through the holiday with him like this.

I did talk to the vet who used to work with us, but we no longer carry the meds she was suggesting, and like I described to her- its like he is a vegetable, stuck between alive and dead.

Im going to take him in to work and give sub-q fluids, or IV fluids if I can get a catheter in the ear vein.
Basically, I think its mute, but I will give him twentthree hours from when i found him. (I get off work around seven). I will either bring him home or euthanize him. I cant go through the holiday with him like this.

I did talk to the vet who used to work with us, but we no longer carry the meds she was suggesting, and like I described to her- its like he is a vegetable, stuck between alive and dead.
Sorry to hear about this. You'll do the right thing.

Mom, Misch posted some really good information. Unfortunately at this point I would believe brain damage has occured. Rabbits live in holes for one reason - low temperatures. They are so fragile as you know. Just handling them the wrong way and they break. I had to put one down recently due to fly strike, never easy but better than suffering. If you can bring them inside during the extreme high temperatures, or give them ice bottles. I use old cranberry juice bottles that hold about a gallon. In a killer heat wave I can relocate them to a cellar that stays cool year-round. Say hi to Clover for me. John

had a wonderful day at Burchfield Park in Lansing. Beautiful park, very nice,quiet,lots of fish sighted in the river, lots of blue Hurons , Have never been there before, met my friend from Clarkston, there and had a wonderful day kayaking. Celebrating my retirement....We have also been relocating. sprat them with orange paint,(just a little) then bring them about 15 miles away by the river to a nature preserve
been throwing chickens frozen peaches. and squash, they seem to lover it all. wish the heat would abate soon have 9 meaties that need to be sent to camp and we don't like doing it when it is so hot....

let mamma hen & babies out for awhile, time to go shut up some coops, wish these birds would go to bed a little earlier....I am tired
That's down the road from us. My boyfriend's daughter worked there for years too. It is a great place. There are several parks like that out here that we spent most of the last few summers at. Unfortunately I can't hike anymore so we haven't been there this year and it makes me sad. I'm glad you had a good time. Next time you're out here also check out River's Bend (my fave!), McNamara Landing and Bunker Landing. There's several other smaller ones but those are all connected by the river and multiple trails! The fishing IS great at River's Bend and Burchfield. When the river wasn't down so low we'd catch some and feed them to the chickens and pigs.

Awhile back there was some discussion of open-air coops in our region. I'm pretty sure I'd worry too much about having layers in one during the winter, but what about putting meaties in one? DH and I (and BIL) are plotting to try to raise meaties in the spring and need an affordable way to house them. (And have any of you raised FRs?)

I'm also looking for a source for non-GMO and/or organic feed in the Cadillac/Traverse/Manistee area if anyone knows of one......I'm striking out so far.

Raz, Rabies information hasn't changed that much in the last 30 years or so. The Raccoon rabies outbreak in the eastern states is very serious, the strain is highly contagious and has been found in animals that are not usually susceptable to rabies (such as ground hogs and other rodents).

For more rabies information, visit www.michigan.gov/rabies or www.cdc.gov/rabies

So I shouldn't have eaten that coon I trapped?

There is this guy that I pass when I work. He has a really neat set up. Its basically a converted dog pen. I will try and get picture thursday. But what they did was use the metal tubing that you have for chain link fence, but at where the T's would be, they used a modified 4-way and build a chain link roof. Then, over that, they have the tarps to keep the sun and rain out. Built a chain link and wood door and frame. This thing is light enough and still sturdy that they move it around the yard to avoid stressing the grasses. They are growing red meat birds in it now... What are those? FR? Well anyway, in the cooler part of the spring, they were able to hang heat lamps in for the chicks. I am not sure what they have put on the bottom, or if its aproned, it doesn't look like it, but there is also chicken wire around the bottom portion to keep out critters. And the whole thing can be covered in tarps, not just the top. Looks to be about a 10x10 pen/shelter.

Gonna go chop watermelon for my birds.

Mom 2, I am sorry about your rabbit. I hope that it will be ok.

I hope everyone is doing ok in this heat. Daron, good luck with the job.

John [uchytil] here are the pics you wanted of the NH's

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom