Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Araucana and Ameracauna are different. Ameracauna AmeRAUCana( Easter Eggers) lay colored (typically blue-green) eggs and have beards and muffs.

With Araucana, if you have two parents both with the tufted gene, then yes, you can have some (about 25%) die in shell. The tufted gene is lethal. Not all of the chicks are hatched with the tufts, some are hatched with tails (though by standards should not have here in the US). A much more difficult breed.

Expecting my first Araucana chicks next week.
True Ameraucanas are NOT Easter Eggers, they are a distinct breed.

From Wikipedia
Confusion with Easter Egger chicken

The Ameraucana Breeders Club defines an Easter Egg chicken, or Easter Egger, as any chicken that possesses the blue egg gene, but doesn’t fully meet any breed description as defined in the APA standards. Further, even if a bird (that possesses the blue egg gene) meets an APA standard breed description, but doesn’t meet a variety description or breed true at least 50% of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken.

The American Poultry Association's American Standard of Perfection contains breed and variety descriptions of all recognized standard breed poultry in North America. This means if your bird does not meet a color requirement, it is in Easter Egger. However, it is highly unlikely to see an Easter Egger which meets all APA standards yet doesn't have the correct color. They are almost always mutt birds, or those descended from the Quechua.
While many hatcheries claim to sell "Ameraucanas", "Americanas", or "Araucanas", nearly none of them do. Most sell mutt Easter Eggers.

lol.png
Yes. I've been stalking ebay....you should see my watch list right now. However, I'm finding that the used incubators are going for almost as much as the new ones at TSC once I pay shipping and all that. For $5 more to buy it new and locally (ish), I don't have to worry about undisclosed cracks, dirt/mold, or possible missing/malfunctioning parts. I'm looking at the still-air models since DH can wire a pc fan in for me in about 5min. I tried to get him to build one for me, but once we priced out all the parts, we were $10 shy of an LG, and he wouldn't have to fool around with making one and tweaking it to get it working just right.

Unless I'm using the wrong search terms...... As much as I'd love a brinsea, it's out of the budget.

So anyone that thinks geese need a running start to fly needs to think again LOL.

I was going to put them in a play area so they could graze on the grass. I put the male in first and just turned my back to go get the other two. I heard him flap his wings and when I turned around toward him he was GONE!
rant.gif
It took me 10 minutes to direct him back to the barn. He went in and I caught him and put him back in the pen. Sunday can't come fast enough to re-home a bunch of ducks so I can try the geese with the remaining ducks. I feel bad that they're inside!

Not even 5 minutes after I came inside it started pouring!
celebrate.gif
No runway or landing strip light required.
There is not a drop here
barnie.gif

lol.png
Yes. I've been stalking ebay....you should see my watch list right now. However, I'm finding that the used incubators are going for almost as much as the new ones at TSC once I pay shipping and all that. For $5 more to buy it new and locally (ish), I don't have to worry about undisclosed cracks, dirt/mold, or possible missing/malfunctioning parts. I'm looking at the still-air models since DH can wire a pc fan in for me in about 5min. I tried to get him to build one for me, but once we priced out all the parts, we were $10 shy of an LG, and he wouldn't have to fool around with making one and tweaking it to get it working just right.

Unless I'm using the wrong search terms...... As much as I'd love a brinsea, it's out of the budget.
How much are you willing to spend?

How much are you willing to spend?
$40 for no frills. maybe 60 if it had a turner.

I know they're out there....the steal-of-a-deal ones......they all seem to be at lest 3 hours away though.

I *have* to keep the cost down since I've convinced DH that this will cheaper than buying from a hatchery (and we'd get some cockerals for the freezer out of it as well) in the long-run. HE thinks we should wait until spring and hope we get a broody out of our current group. There's no instant gratification in waiting though, so
tongue.gif
to his idea.

I;m half tempted to just get one on the way to work tonight so I can stop obsessing over it.
lau.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom